It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good signs from the low unemployment numbers

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: infolurker

I actually had a 24 year old, no experience, college degree, sneer. SNEER. When I said salary at 65 - 70.

Then I turned around and hired a guy who is 61 and he said, "Thank you".

Sometimes it takes more experience to build better manners. Kids! Amirite.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

You're free to think whatever DB.

I agree with the Bloomberg source about unemployment. I guess it's a legitimate source now.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

The unemployment numbers the government spouts is about as authentic as Pamela Anderson's boobs.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3daysgone

I actually had a 24 year old, no experience, college degree, sneer. SNEER. When I said salary at 65 - 70.

There is an arrogance there than exists that hasn't been earned yet.

Confidence is great.

But confidence without competence is a road map to failure.

Just look at the bridge in Florida!

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Confidence is great.

Very true. I even heard an engineer leave a message, that had not been responded to, about how he believes the bridge would be okay. That guy obviously didn't have any training in observation and assessment.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 12:53 AM
link   
The unemployment rate here in the southeast has dwindled, have been watching the sources for years way back to the housing bubble bursting in Florida . Routinely it was 1/3 to 1/2 more than the rest of the US, in the last 5 years. Now I'm seeing areas that were struggling start to grow again. I'm a niche apparel market and it's very susceptible to the economy and other factors, in fact it's one of the first items people usually look for a bargain on the internet for example, killing our domestic business. We aren't booming yet but the increase is real enough we have had less merchants close and have added a load of new merchants. Always a good sign and yes our merchants are saying it is difficult to find good help.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Confidence is great.

It's definitely a problem for a lot of these kids. Having to work hard in an entry level position with entry level pay builds character, which is in pretty short supply in lots of these kids. With most colleges and universities emphasizing liberal indoctrination, liberal arts degrees, destroying freedom of speech, as opposed to actually TEACHING, many of these kids graduate having very little knowledge about how the real world works, other than what they see on TV. Then when you factor in a devastating lack of common sense, the future looks pretty dark for many of them.

I fear Millennials may end up being the first generation in decades that ends up actually worse off than the previous generation.

I keep asking myself how they would fare if, God forbid, some big catastrophe wiped out the entire population of the Earth over the age of 30. I think the odds are about 50/50 that within a couple of generations, humanity is on the verge of extinction.

On the bright side though, with most of the younger kids, the prepubescent group, seem to completely different. At least the ones that I've seen are.

I also find it absolutely BAFFLING that a 18-25 year old kid that's broke and unemployed, would turn down ANY employment opportunity, regardless of what it pays. That's the reason low paying entry level jobs exist.

Having been an employer for most of my life, there's no way in HELL that I would EVER pay a new hire more than bottom-rung wages until I've got a good idea what his potential for performance is.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Figures of dropping unemployment are compiled from the number of people applying for unemployment. Only good for a year, people that stop receiving unemployment aren't necessarily employed, they just don't qualify for benefits after a year.

This doesn't mean they have found a job.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Young workers don't seem to like having a boss, maybe they lived their lives with no one having expectations and being told they are perfect snowflakes.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Agreed. I'm curious about employment, not the made up unemployment figure. I'm at work, can anyone post employment figures?

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 07:45 AM
link   

The unemployment numbers the government spouts is about as authentic as Pamela Anderson's boobs.

if they exist, then they're real damn it

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: MteWamp

While I agree re the schools, let's not forget the most important 'educator' for these kids and that's the parents.

I cannot put schools are number one. Good parenting can offset bad schooling, but good schooling rarely offsets bad parenting, IMO.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I prefer to look at the labor participation rate. I think it is a more honest view of the job situation.

Another measure, the labor force participation rate, refers to the percentage of Americans who are considered to be in the labor force as a part of the overall population. To be counted in the labor force, someone must be working or actively looking for work. In December (and also October), the labor force participation rate was 62.8 percent. In January and March of 1978, it was also 62.8 percent.

www.politifact.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: nwtrucker

I didn't see anything about what kind of jobs, are these full time jobs? Are these jobs paying a living wage? How many of these jobs are in fact part time jobs, I know that's how they fudge the unemployment numbers in this country .

If these jobs are full time and pay a living wage I agree that's great however I see no evidence of this, unless I missed it as I scanned through the article.

That´s how the "fool the people" game is played, exactly!

Here in Germany "they" tell us, the people, from month to month, that the unemployment numbers drop and drop.
At the same time we know that we now need two or three of this "jobs", which were called Arbeit, work, before they became just cheap slave wage jobs. Two or three to pay the rent, food, the car you maybe only needed to buy because of the job, two or three slave wage jobs to just not suffer.

And we know that almost everybody below the upper 10% will become a victim of old age poverty. We know that we have the lowest retirements in whole Europe. People that worked here for 30, 40, 50 years receive a retirement money of sometimes under 1000 Euro. In germany you are poor if you have an income under 979 Euro.

People in Spain, Portugal, even Greece own more private property and own houses than the german population. Just because we can´t afford it anymore, paid with those glorious slave job wages. So we are forced to pay too high rents, which rise and rise, for the profits of the real estate groups, with the help of the the lobbyists controlled politicians.

People can´t afford to create families here, no time because of jobs, we need to be flexible. Means, if the employer saysthe corporation moves next week, you have to cancel your rent conract, you have to move, for your 8,84 Euro minimum wage. Just one aspect besides the money thing, you can´t live from your jobs, how to pay for a child? Who should raise that child, if both parents have to work like lunatics, around the clock, at the weekends, for almost no money?

And then, working for the minimum wage of 8,84 Euro, you have to hear and read every month how well we all are doing, what a job wonder Germany is. And that we all love to live here, because we all live soooooo good. Told by the politicians, the managers, the employers and their employers associations, the slave wage paying corporations. By the upper 10%, that never came or will come in touch with such jobs, as wage slaves. Because they are born in the "right" families with the "right" names, the "right" amount of money, with the "right" realtionships, etc.

These numbers are a joke, a bad joke. The politics, the employers, the corporations, the greedy ones that only know groth, groth, groth, for the own profits, at the expense of the average people, the workers, need these wrong numbers they present us, and they even falsify these numbers. Everybody knows it, knows that we don´t have only around 2 million of people without jobs they can live from. We have people that work in two or three jobs and have to beg at the state for a supplementary amount, to not go down the drain.

The real numbers tell us that 10 to 12 million of people rely on state "aid". Many of them because of the fact that "they up there" destroyed healthy, fair paid work and splitted these posts into three slave wage jobs. So you often only have the chance to be unemployed or to take a slave wage job.

So that the politicians can celebrate from month to month their great, great work they are doing, presenting a distorted picture of the people that rely on state "aid" and ehy they rely on state "aid", plus a distorted picture of the real unemployment rates. To celebrate their dropping unemployment rates.

Yeah, jobs(not fair paid work) for everybody, but nobody really can live from the slave wage jobs.
Except the employers, the corporations and for sure, our heroes, "our" politicians that celebrate themselves.

Till that whole system will explode, because the people are fed to the backteeth of these cheap lies, of the exploitation of the average people by the rich caste. And it feels like it doesn´t take too much time anymore!

edit on 18 3 2018 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

edit on 18 3 2018 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

You have been heard. It doesn't surprise me.

You will note that the U.S. job numbers are on the increase. Most are full time, from what I can see. Most are above the U.S. minimum wage by a few dollars.

What you describe in Germany is what the perception of the U.S. experience in the last few years. The tax cuts have helped, as well.

A long way to go, but there IS progress. The link I provided looks valid. Just my opinion, though.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Shadowstats shows the real numbers:

www.shadowstats.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Shadowstats shows the real numbers:

www.shadowstats.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Those are some dark numbers.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Finding folks who want to work locally is not too difficult a task Well I say that but truly they submit applications. All age ranges are applying and the work only starts at 9 an hour or 17 as an LPN. A nurse with experience can certainly ask for more and will likely get it. We have a shortage of nurses in this particular field, related to the pay of course.
I suppose on average we receive around 6+ applications per week. Unfortunately most go into the bin due to the fact that they are only willing to work day shift, or no driver license, or drugs or theft on their criminal backgrounds.
There are plenty of factories for folks who can or will do that type of work. Some 'labor' type work is available in the Spring-Fall time.
There's not a whole lot of opportunity here unless someone wants to commute quite a distance. Sprinkle in the old time nepotism (we call it familytism) and there's a double whammy.
I did manage to help my 52 year old brother in law a job secure at one of the interstate rest areas for 7.25 hour/limited to 24 hours per week. Yeah it sucks, but with his background, lack of driver license etc...he is grateful to have it. I remember when he commanded top dollar in the building/construction industry.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

A long way to go and we may never get back to the hey-day level we've enjoyed in the past.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join