It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corned Beef Hash

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Oh Man!! MMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

Seeing as how they had some pretty nice lookin' corned beef on sale at the store last weekend I decided to cook up some corned beef and cabbage a little early (we LOVE the stuff!). Plus, I've got another one ready to go in the refrigerator for today or tomorrow. Sooooo.....I had some corned beef and fixin's left over, what parts we hadn't gobbled up already. What to do to make room for the next round? Well, how about some corned beef hash for breakfast!

Diced up the remaining corned beef, some left over taters and carrots...then I buttered up a cast iron skillet and threw in some diced side English Bacon and browned that up for a bit. After the English Bacon was brown I dumped in the corned beef, potatoes, carrots (and a couple diced cooked green beans for color). Spread everything around evenly on the cast iron skillet and let it brown for about 6-7 minutes without touching it (aside from adding a little black pepper). Then I carefully turned everything over so as not to mash up the taters too badly (the cooked taters are pretty fragile so I wanted to keep them in one piece if possible). Things were looking beautiful.

I had some nice extra large fresh eggs so I figured I'd poach a few of those up to go with my hash.

Everything was done at about the exact same time so I plated it up and...WOWEEEE...delicious breakfast!!

Homemade corned beef hash cooked in my trusty cast iron skillet, topped with some poached eggs...Man, it doesn't hardly get any better than that for breakfast!!

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I like to just heat up my left over corn beef and cabbage boiled dinner. It is great heated up. I make a sort of soup with carrots, rutabagga, potatoes, onions, a few cloves of garlic, a stalk of celery, and the corn beef. It is like a stew. I finished off the last batch yesterday, I should go get another brisket to make one in maybe a week again. The cabbage is thirty nine cents a pound and the briskets are two dollars and forty nine cents a pound. It is more like a stew but I do not thicken it all all.

I'm not much of a hash person, and I think it is too salty if you bake the brisket. I rinse and soak it for ten minutes before starting to boil it too. I can always add salt to taste when finished.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I love corned beef, and so does the wife. One of the great things about it is, there's so many ways to cook it where it comes out fabulous every time!

You should try a smoked corned beef! A fella's socks will just shoot off his feet when you try one of those!

For this next one I'm about halfway decided I'm going to smoke it for about 10 hours and then throw it in the pot and finish it the traditional way for corned beef and cabbage. That smoky flavor in with the cabbage, potatoes and carrots...MMMMmmmmm!

So many options...what to do?

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I have a smoker, I never thought about smoking one of them. I do like smoking a turkey. I love smoked fish, but it screws up the smoker and flavors everything to a fishy taste, so I just buy my smoked fish.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I dare say there are some British folk drooling on their keyboard right now.

Don't forget the Worcestershire sauce, you can't go British without it.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I've never had the corn beef hash but I've always been curious about it. Here we have a prepared version with potatoes and cabbage canned. I'd like to try it as a breakfast side. I love me a toasted corn beef sammich on rye with hot mustard it's to die for and reubens god I love a good reuben!

a reply to: Thecakeisalie

I feel you on the worcestershire I love Lea&Perrins. Adds great taste to scambled eggs and ceasers.
I eat my breakfast sausage covered in HP sauce too,it's the only way.

edit on 17-3-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
i love corned beef hash.
even the cheap #

mountains of it

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
i love corned beef hash.
even the cheap #

mountains of it

Ummm...oh yeah...mountains of hash with a couple eggs drooling their yolks all over it...then all over my insides...

Roast beef and sausage hash is delicious as well...

Yousir

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   

One condiment...

Stone ground mustard!!

Cuts through the fat and binds the whole corn beef and cabbage dinner together!

Leftovers always welcome!!

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   
My corned beast is currently cooking, only halfway through but the house is full of the pungent smell of Irish deliciousness. Anticipation is painful at best.. now this thread and it's become downright cruel and unusual punishment!

Maybe i can just drink some of the juices for now?? Yeah. Yup that'll do.... Must has corned beef!

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Ummm...Thank you good sir...now I know what's on the menu for tomorrow's breakfast...I never tried it with the poached egg on top...I always start my eggs in a cold skillet and then let them cook low and slow until the whites are about half cooked...then I carefully flip them over and turn off the heat and let the whites finish ...while leaving all that golden runny goodness for my fork to break all over the top of that hash mountain...

I was wondering if you use balsamic or red wine vinegar in the poached egg water...?

That's how I do them...too tasty...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

One condiment...

Stone ground mustard!!

Cuts through the fat and binds the whole corn beef and cabbage dinner together!

Leftovers always welcome!!

I second this. And the Guinness. Both are necessary, although only the latter is needed for the breakfast hash

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   

man now Im all hungry!
gonna have to go root around in the fridge now

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

I was wondering if you use balsamic or red wine vinegar in the poached egg water...?

Nope, just straight water. I actually have an egg poacher which is probably one of the greatest kitchen gadgets I ever bought. I picked it up at a garage sale for about a buck. The lady didn't even know what it was or how it worked. I'd had one many years before, but it went with the ex-wife and I'd been looking for one ever since. I'd have gladly paid $20 bucks for that thing (even offered her more for it too). It works perfectly every time. Just put a little water in it and turn it on. Shuts off automatically and the eggs are perfect. It will do poached, soft boiled and hard boiled eggs, but the poached and soft boiled are the best.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

originally posted by: TinySickTears
i love corned beef hash.
even the cheap #

mountains of it

Ummm...oh yeah...mountains of hash with a couple eggs drooling their yolks all over it...then all over my insides...

Roast beef and sausage hash is delicious as well...

Yousir

yup.
16 oz cans of archer corned beef has for 1.50 a pop.
eggs just like you said.
nice

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   
When I was a child, corned beef hash was a frequent Sunday night supper, using up the potatoes from what we still called "Sunday dinner". It might be that or "Spanish omelette".
I doubt if my mother added much beside the corned beef itself (Fray Bentos, of course).

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Depending where you are in the UK it can have many a different name...around here its known as "corned dog" but thats probably due to the UK's military history around the world but here we aint that sort of squeamish as we have pikelets and have then with or without the dead flies (raisins).

When I see a US program that mentions biscuits and gravy my WTF sensors go mad as that aint what I'd call it.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   
All because of English "side" bacon???

The recipe is corned beef hash; it crosses most cultural boundaries!!

(licking lips).

BTW...I'm getting ready to put on my next corned beef...into the smoker it goes here shortly. Then, in the morning, I'll pull it and put in some of the other ingredients. OH...it's gonna' be goooooooooood!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Corned beef and cabbage today. Reuben sandwiches tomorrow!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join