It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can You function without medication if you have schizoaffective disorder?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rapha
a reply to: freedom7
Stay off the drugs and follow your instincts.

If you hear voices then just say 'Shut up stupid demon'. Then chuckle at the point where the voice came from.

This is horrible advice and a perfect example of why its not healthy for people with this disorder to seek help from other schizophrenics online.

You may think youre helping but giving this sort of advice could literally lead to someone building up to an episode that gets themselves or someone else hurt or killed
edit on 17-3-2018 by SailorJerry because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: SailorJerry

If you hear voices then just say 'Shut up stupid demon'. Then chuckle at the point where the voice came from.

This is horrible advice and a perfect example of why its not healthy for people with this disorder to seek help from other schizophrenics online.

You may think youre helping but giving this sort of advice could literally lead to someone building up to an episode that gets themselves or someone else hurt or killed

Sometimes asking some individuals with the condition isnt good and yes, can be harmful.

Not all the time.

To suggest so would imply that all people with the condition are essentially doing nothing, but harm and have no truth and/or validity behind their words and beliefs...nor restraint and discpline in sharing these things, along with providing sound, cautionary advice when necessary.

It also blatantly ignores the fact that those without the condition or undiagnosed, may also provide bad responses that can cause what youve suggested...

OP, to answer your question, yes. It can be done.

Dont smoke pot. At all. Ever. In fact, id say only stick to carefully moderated drinking and if you use nicotine, moderated nic usage....but please be advised of the well documented health risks.

It will take years of rebuilding and rewiring your thought processes. Rebuild trust. Believe in good out there. Believe in your ability to be renewed.

Excercise uncertainty, especially about negative, paranoid things. Use laughter and light heartedness to ease yourself.

Find a routine of destressing and relaxing. Easing your mind and not stressing out is key here.

If ever going off medz, you need to keep your psychiatrist updated regularly. You also need to go off of them slowly....and at the right time. Otherwisr you may lose progress in your healing.

Oh, and dont listen to the jerks that call you a crazy person, that either shun you or passively bully you. You might be misinterpreting them, or theyre likely sociopaths with a much more destructive mental disorder (total lack of remorse for harming others in any way).

Just focus on getting better. Ignore the negative crap, regardless of it being "real" or not.

A lot of people have hope.

I dont claim anything as absolute. All i know is what ive been through, and what ive felt.

Anyone that tries to deny that and take that away? They might as well be marinating themself with blood in the middle of the ocean. And yes, I mean that very sincerely.

Good luck to you OP and all the rest of you. You are cared for in ways you dont know, by those you may not expect.
edit on 17-3-2018 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-3-2018 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   

If your like me and know where they come from. You know not react but intelligently. I still take a med. But it really activated more than stops them.
Everyone with "schizophrenia" (an industries deceptionn) ive talked to say meds dont fully work.
In fact my experience says treating it as technology stops the crazy voices and gets the algrythms going in a defensive angry reactive state. I love abusing abusers.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: SailorJerry

It's a hard road.

One of the biggest issues imo is how some people can't help mocking schizophrenic episodes. Someone passes through during a cycle and people are practically queuing up to post zingers and play to the crowd. Schizophrenia is a cross to bear and so is the lack of empathy displayed by those who screw around with them.

The other side of the coin, as you pointed out, is when schizophrenics are encouraged by some to ditch medication and go it alone.

Respect to those who give reasonable advice no matter which particular cross they carry in life.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: anotherside
Its all about oxygen in the brain. I drank kangen water and voices stopped almost completely for a while. If you guage your voices volume and reaction using shungite or other blocking you may find its not exactly a mental disorder.

I’ve heard wonders with Kajun water . Thank you for your advice on that !

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
Uhhh...

voices in your head are EXACTLY a mental disorder.

Take your meds.

I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder but I should have been clearer about my symptoms ( I have never and do not hear audible voices in my head on a day to day basis ) , but I guess I fit enough of the other symptoms for this Doctor to diagnose me with this disorder

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

Can you tell it is a hallucination while you see it? What kind of delusion of grandeur? Are you aware that it is happening or is your story what's going on something else?

Definitely change the doctor and if you got ongoing symptoms find a Way to treat it with which you feel comfortable. There are also stories of people who found a combination of dealing with stress and medication that really helps them and they're feeling better for long times.
But of course your concerns should always be taken seriously, find someone who you feel comfortable with and be honest.

Thanks for your reply ,

When I have hallucinated I couldn’t distinguish it better whether it was reality or a true hallucination .
( I will make it clear that my hallucinations I have experienced have never encouraged me to be violent or completely lose it. I’ve shown the ability to remain cool, , calm and collected even when I’m literally witnessing utter chaos in front of my eyes and feeling some of the heaviest fear and subsequent depression that follows shortly thereafter . ( I believe this has something to do with my MK ultra conditioning , my unique DNA , and personality traits that have adapted to some degree or another , I could be wrong though )

The biggest hallucination I had ( or apparent hallucination ) was when I watched my phone levitate off the couch into mid air and get thrown across the room . A few days later in this same room I had an inter dimensional entity of enormous height , blinding white glow and big eyes smirk at me , almost as if it knew something about me and was toying with me or was sent to open up my eyes to the realization that this realm is real ..
Whether this was all a manifestion of my schizoaffective disorder or an actual encounter with an inter dimensional being with me is an unknown.

I will say this however . The girl I was in the room with at the time , after I asked her if she saw something or felt something .. nodded her head in agreement . Safe to say we didn’t visit that room too much often after that .

As for delusions of grandeur -my mind will tell me I’m a special figure chosen for a very special role at some point in the future .
But here’s where it gets tricky ...

Real tricky ..

The role always seems to flip flop and change around to a different role and than a different role etc..

At one point I believed I was one of the famed two witnesses of the Bible , other points I believed I was the devil , or spawn of nephilim with divine blood in me , at yet other times I believed I was going to be the reincarnation of a certain bible figure ( some never tasted death and were brought up , others talked to Jesus on the mountain etc )

I wondered if I was one of those ..

There were times sensing I was so different from my friends , community etc .. I figured I was one of the good aliens here in physical form to blend in and try and help humans avoid catastrophes , ease tensions , be an advocate for peace etc ..

Throw Mandela Effect into this and the idea behind multiverses converging together and people walking up in different realities where this world is nothing like they remember it and something about their personality /background or that of one of their loved ones is markedly different ... and know the picture gets even trickier to decipher and get to the truth of what is really happening and whether I really am mentally ill ,

Or simply spiritually very in tune with earthly modfications happening ..

As for your last question - I am aware it’s happening , but at times I do feeling a strong sense of derealization,depersonalization..

Almost like I’m outside of my body looking down on my body and my story ..

I’m not sure how much of this is tied to the minds ability to dissassociate with the aftermath of the intense PTSD I suffer

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES

Fellow Schizoaffective here.
Med compliant.

I tried going at it without medication for 15 years.

Finally I had enough of the paranoia and attendant psychosis and decided to give medications s a serious chance. My brain and worldview changed dramatically. My days are a constant reminder and practice of holistic therapy and mental reprogramming. It's taken twenty years but I'm able to go outside and not feel paranoid of lost in a negative delusional mindset. It took an additional 4 years to get the right medication cocktail.

I've tried maintaining employment but I always crack within a week or so, and I grew tired of constant Inpatient.

These days I just take it slow.

Find your groove and go with it.
Don't force yourself into anything uncomfortable for the sake of "being normal".

If you need an alternate path to stay mentally healthy, follow it.

Thanks General Eyes - I am happy you came through your suffering and if medication is the only thing that can help , I know I will take it , if I truly get to a point through research and trial and error where I am inclined to believe the pros of medication outweigh the cons ..

I just like you , have suffered to consistently hold jobs for a long time now . When you got medicated was it that much easier to steadily hold one down ?

This is so important for me , as I am currently unemployed and not enjoying life and looking to get back out there and work hard and help people

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   

I got my voices to admit they are a brainwashing system.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   

If your like me and know where they come from. You know not react but intelligently. I still take a med. But it really activated more than stops them.
Everyone with "schizophrenia" (an industries deceptionn) ive talked to say meds dont fully work.
In fact my experience says treating it as technology stops the crazy voices and gets the algrythms going in a defensive angry reactive state. I love abusing abusers.

Anotherside could you please help me more with this info ? Even if you have to PM me ?
I do believe while meds can help some , that some of us are without a doubt in my mind attacked with government technology . I used to think it all sounded crazy , but than I read real groundbreaking stuff , testimonials , targeted individuals speaking out and their stories for the most part fit like a glove .

If there is technology being used on me or I am chipped with something etc .. how do I fight back the abusers as you say ?

I tried magnets to deactivate them to no avail , I’ve tried other things but nothing ever seemed to work . They are destroying my life , I and so many others need help . Please message me

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: CreationBro

Sometimes asking some individuals with the condition isnt good and yes, can be harmful.

Not all the time.

To suggest so would imply that all people with the condition are essentially doing nothing, but harm and have no truth and/or validity behind their words and beliefs...nor restraint and discpline in sharing these things, along with providing sound, cautionary advice when necessary.

It also blatantly ignores the fact that those without the condition or undiagnosed, may also provide bad responses that can cause what youve suggested...

OP, to answer your question, yes. It can be done.

Dont smoke pot. At all. Ever. In fact, id say only stick to carefully moderated drinking and if you use nicotine, moderated nic usage....but please be advised of the well documented health risks.

It will take years of rebuilding and rewiring your thought processes. Rebuild trust. Believe in good out there. Believe in your ability to be renewed.

Excercise uncertainty, especially about negative, paranoid things. Use laughter and light heartedness to ease yourself.

Find a routine of destressing and relaxing. Easing your mind and not stressing out is key here.

If ever going off medz, you need to keep your psychiatrist updated regularly. You also need to go off of them slowly....and at the right time. Otherwisr you may lose progress in your healing.

Oh, and dont listen to the jerks that call you a crazy person, that either shun you or passively bully you. You might be misinterpreting them, or theyre likely sociopaths with a much more destructive mental disorder (total lack of remorse for harming others in any way).

Just focus on getting better. Ignore the negative crap, regardless of it being "real" or not.

A lot of people have hope.

I dont claim anything as absolute. All i know is what ive been through, and what ive felt.

Anyone that tries to deny that and take that away? They might as well be marinating themself with blood in the middle of the ocean. And yes, I mean that very sincerely.

Good luck to you OP and all the rest of you. You are cared for in ways you dont know, by those you may not expect.

Thank you Creation Bro , very sound advice you’ve detailed in there and I agree with it.
Positivity , holistic approach is the way to go ...

And I won’t touch weed , I agree it’s horrible for anyone with any kind of extreme anxiety in general

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

if you have an extreme episode or in mental distress, tell your family and friends not to call the police for help, they'll thank you and you'll thank them when you get through this.

I completely agree . I know some good cops personally . But many others could jeopardize my safety even further and throw me in the loonie bin or assume worst intentions from me ..

I’ve learned to be very careful with any situation i ever have or may ever have with law enforcement . I do believe most are decent and if you don’t provoke them they will have no reason to harm you ..

But some are naive and automatically associate the mentally ill together with violent offenders and treat these patients very aggressively with a “ take no chances “ attitude .

It’s tragic because the stats don’t lie . The majority of the mentally ill are harmless and would hurt themselves if anything before they harmed anybody else

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   

We are all jumping realities every second. If the jump is chaotic then that is when the mental attack occurs.

Follow your spiritual groove.

Thanks Rapha , I’ve read to lots of your material . It’s solid stuff .

I agree with you . I don’t touch drugs right now and I do tell the demons to take a hike quite often .. it’s just bizarre when I skip into a hellish dimension sometimes I feel so powerless and it’s almost like they have a green light to just torment me ..

I believe all who are wired like me and come from MK ultra backgrounds have demons layered into their programming and because these people are more in tune with the spirit realm as it is . It makes it very very hard to be at peace with it all ..

I often feel like God has given up on me and let them harass me for no reason . Than some days beautiful things happen and signs show that I am in fact loved and protected more than I can ever know ..

We are in a very intense invisible spiritual battle seemingly and our world is the playground for very powerful spiritual forces to clash

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   

We are all jumping realities every second. If the jump is chaotic then that is when the mental attack occurs.

Follow your spiritual groove.

Thanks Rapha , I’ve read to lots of your material . It’s solid stuff .

I agree with you . I don’t touch drugs right now and I do tell the demons to take a hike quite often .. it’s just bizarre when I skip into a hellish dimension sometimes I feel so powerless and it’s almost like they have a green light to just torment me ..

I believe all who are wired like me and come from MK ultra backgrounds have demons layered into their programming and because these people are more in tune with the spirit realm as it is . It makes it very very hard to be at peace with it all ..

I often feel like God has given up on me and let them harass me for no reason . Than some days beautiful things happen and signs show that I am in fact loved and protected more than I can ever know ..

We are in a very intense invisible spiritual battle seemingly and our world is the playground for very powerful spiritual forces to clash

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

It's a hard road.

One of the biggest issues imo is how some people can't help mocking schizophrenic episodes. Someone passes through during a cycle and people are practically queuing up to post zingers and play to the crowd. Schizophrenia is a cross to bear and so is the lack of empathy displayed by those who screw around with them.

The other side of the coin, as you pointed out, is when schizophrenics are encouraged by some to ditch medication and go it alone.

Respect to those who give reasonable advice no matter which particular cross they carry in life.

You deserve a friggin medal.

Perhaps a mountain of milk chocolate?

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   

You know it.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

It's a hard road.

Agreed, and I have been hard on some of them here in the forums , but only after all the suggestions and gentle nudging has turned into attacks for trying to suggest other methods.

I have 3 family members who are schizoeffective , and its very hard on them for 2 the meds work wonders and the 3rd they absolutely refuse.

What they share in common is when they are off of their meds, they justify what they are doing by talking to each other and talking to "friends" who are also off meds and NOT mediating through other methods. Thereby justifying their own delusions. Its sad, scary, and heartbreaking.

I notably have been a bit tough, but its not because I dont care, I care deeply.

I do however forget and am guilty of not remembering that what MOST of us would take as tough love, those afflicted take as im the enemy.

There is such a fine line with this whole thing, it really breaks my heart.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   

This is exactly what im talking about.

This member is coming here looking for advice and answers, and we have someone whose deep in their episode, trying to give advice to someone who is on the verge of slipping into an episode.

OP at thsi point you know your options, you know whats real and whats not for the most part and you are cognizant enough to know "hey i might need to try some meds" or do something different.

DO NOT take advice from people who are so deep in their psychosis that they think the gov and everyone on this forum is an agent. That alone should be a red flag to you.

Generaleyes, and Kandinsky are your go to.

Talk to them, relay with them .

Some of these others who will try and convinc you its the GOV trying to get to you are just going to make things worse I promise.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Do you realize that doing things like this and giving the advice you are could cause serious harm to this person or people around them?

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: freedom7
My question is does anyone know if you can function in society and live a decent quality of life while treating this disorder holistically and not with meds ?

First, a holistic approach brings everything together including medication; if it discounts medication, it's not truly holistic.

My view on this will be slightly biased. I meet schizoaffectives when things have gone wrong and they end up detained. I'll never need to meet them if things are going well, therefore I don't really come across those situations.

The stories almost always start the same way. "I stopped taking my meds because I felt better/was cured/do not have a mental health disorder/don't think the meds help at all..."

I think that adopting good living practices, eating well, exercising, laying off the booze and drugs, keeping your mind healthy with work/hobbies/challenges... all of these things are always going to be helpful. I know psychiatrists who say that can directly contribute towards keeping the condition more controllable. I've never heard any of them say it could replace medication.

I don't work for big pharma. I don't have any vested interest in selling medication. My role is to get people out of hospital. In fact, it's better for me financially if everyone stopped taking their meds and just flipped out, as it creates more paid work for me - but I'd rather take the cut in pay and help people stay in the community. The single most effective way that I've found for schizophrenics to get out and stay out (in other words, function in society and enjoy as best a quality of life as they can) is a well balanced medication regime coupled with healthy living, something productive to do even if it's just a hobby or sport, and making positive use of support networks.

Every case is unique in exactly how it presents, but I will say this to you: if you are living with a schizoaffective order, it will wax and wane. You will have good times and bad times. Remember that you're still schizoaffective even during the good times - it's just you have the condition under better control and that's usually due to the medication. The best way to keep in the good times... is to keep up with the medication.

Keep a good relationship, regular contact, and open honest discussion with whatever team is available to you in the community - in the UK that might be via your GP or hopefully a CPN (Community Psychiatric Nurse - and a good one is worth their weight in gold). Your medication may need to be tweaked occasionally. When you hit those bad times, you might need that dosage pushed up until things settle.

Sometimes, hopefully rarely or never, it might build up to a point where an inpatient admission might help you the most. Remember that it's never a punishment, it's never to just lock you up. Inpatient admissions are part of the support package for you, no different than being stuck in hospital if you broke your leg or needed a heart transplant.The better the contact you keep with your team, the less likely that is to be needed - and if they suggest it, you can be sure it's because they genuinely think it's necessary. If you're forever dodging them or refusing meds, they will be more likely to bring you in. If you keep good contact and they feel that you're engaging, they will do more to keep you in your home.

Best of luck. Always be open with the people who are there to support you - they also want you to be living at home and leading as normal a life as possible. Never change your meds or doses without discussing it with your doctor.

edit on Ev23SaturdaySaturdayAmerica/ChicagoSat, 17 Mar 2018 21:23:13 -05001412018b by EvillerBob because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join