It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Shrimps have become parents

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Shrimps are interesting little guys.

I've thought about them, but every time I see the really intriguing ones for sale here, they're over $10 a pop. Not wanting to put down that much per animal on something I'm not sure I could keep alive.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Inverts arnt to hard to keep alive but you do have to have the proper trace elements in your water to allow for a proper shed of the shell as they grow. Also copper will kill em.

a reply to: ketsuko

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Knew the copper one. Copper Safe is a popular ick/parasite treatment and inverts and scaleless fish (I think are sensitive to it).

Generally, the best treatment for ick is to catch it early and use extra heat and salt.

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Salt aint as 'much (MORE) work' as people have impressed upon them... but there IS a lot more stuff you want to understand in advance, and patience involved in getting one setup and gradually stocked up to the 'maximum'. And general maintenance does cost a bit more because of the salt / and then some (supplements) if you're running corals. The equipment can be a slaughter on the pocketbook if you buy all new / dont build your own filters / etc. But you can also snipe whole setups for nothing off craigslist if you watch the thing for a couple weeks and get hip to the usual prices and then are poised to pounce on the steals (like when people are moving).

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: EartOccupant

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Is that the original sound, why did i hear wales singing????
Could have been my TV, but iam pretty sure it was from the stream.
Or is it my new weed...

edit on 16 3 2018 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

Didnt you see the manatees swimming in there?

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   
love your livestreams!
its fascinating watching them

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   
i miss those little worm things

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   

That is so beautiful! But doesn't that take alot of work? My kid's 10 gallon aquarium had lots of different visitors and was a constant pain in the neck to clean, filter ad nauseum.
Really beautiful-would look great next to the one in my dentist's office!

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   
SQUEEEE!!!

I just lost two tank bullies that kept my other fishies from successfully breeding if they weren't killed out right. I now have 3 eggs I'm carefully watching.

I need to get some more shrimp with the hope that I can eventually move the population to a hex I want to set up again. That is if the hubby allows. He's not keen on me getting my dream of a 300 gal. So, baby steps are required.

Congrats!

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Ha! Those water cockroaches or whatever they are, looked like they were getting freaky, humping each other there for a minute or two every few minutes or so when they run into eachother.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 03:22 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

Sativa or Indica ?

I mixed in some bubbles . dolphins and whale sounds to make it a little more active .

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: humanoidlord

Look closer at the bottom, they are still there!

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Very cool! Thanks for sharing! I have a really good photo I got of my shrimps when one was berried (itty bitty shrimpy eggies). I'll try and dig it up.
If you check out the link below my name about "Planted Tanks" you can take a gander at how beautiful tanks can be if you become completely obsessed.

Ahh, found it! It was published in an Aussie aquarium magazine which I was well chuffed about!

edit on 17-3-2018 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

That's a great picture! Nice colors. Do you know the species?

Here is a short clip of one of the females with eggs. Not as clear as yours, but quite nice.
You see her continuously bringing fresh water and movement to her eggs while foraging.

I like how you can see right true some of them. As far as i know with my red shrimps, it are the females who are most red, and the male more transparant.

And your link, yeah! people make real art of planted tanks. I like it!

My tanks may be small.. But my indoor river and waterfall system is a little bit larger ! ; )

edit on 17-3-2018 by EartOccupant because: Under current

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I agree salt ain't that hard at all once you understand how it all works. I pulled all my knowledge from this comprehensive text book,it's freaking amazing.
www.amazon.ca...

It's volume 3 but really it just updates and combines volume 1&2

It's by far the best put together book out there teaches you everything from deep sand beds to plumbing. Fully illustrated tons of great pictures.

Man that indoor river is sweet! I really like it! Those are some lucky shrimps!
edit on 17-3-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I use a refugium style filter you can see it at the bottom. There is no media to change because it uses all natural porous limestone to hold the bacteria for denitrification,also I have snails and crabs that clean up left overs,anything else get abosorbed by the algae which is in return ate again. If I get to much algae I scoop it out. I also have a deep sand bed so the conditions after a few inches are anerobic which helps the cycle further. Once you get this style of salt water tank established it's almost maintance free. I used to do water changes lots when I started and had canister filters ect. Now I pretty much just top it off for evaporation once a month and check the salt

I also dose iodine and trace elements,I used to do all the tests but I just eye ball it now lol.

a reply to: Justso

edit on 17-3-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   

those very tiny wriggling things?

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: humanoidlord

those very tiny wriggling things?

Yup, the Guppies seems to have eaten the big ones and a little more wide lens.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join