It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: NASA Researchers Present Paper On Martian Methane; Claim Present Life Likely

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Several months ago, we all heard about the methane situation on Mars and how it may be a sign of life. Now, two NASA researchers are formally presenting the argument for peer review in the respected journal Nature. With the next mission to Mars scheduled for 2009, the team is pushing that the Rover be equipped to drill into the Martian surface, hopefully revealing more clues as to exactly what is producing the interesting methane levels. Currently, NASA has no plans for drilling, but has designed a rover with powerful methane-detecting technology.

www.space.com
WASHINGTON -- A pair of NASA scientists told a group of space officials at a private meeting here Sunday that they have found strong evidence that life may exist today on Mars, hidden away in caves and sustained by pockets of water.

The scientists, Carol Stoker and Larry Lemke of NASA s Ames Research Center in Silicon Valley, told the group that they have submitted their findings to the journal Nature for publication in May, and their paper currently is being peer reviewed.

What Stoker and Lemke have found, according to several attendees of the private meeting, is not direct proof of life on Mars, but methane signatures and other signs of possible biological activity remarkably similar to those recently discovered in caves here on Earth.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, I'm very happy to see that this issue is being taken seriously. We all speculated when the news was first released about methane on Mars, and now we're not alone in our wonder. I am a bit miffed that they may not be taking the teams's advice and drilling on Mars, but it's a step in the right direction. Who knows, they may be able to push for more equipment on the Rover if their ideas gain support.

[edit on 2-16-2005 by Esoterica]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Change the apostrophe in the word "NASA's" or it's going to break the RSS feed.

[edit on (2/16/0505 by PistolPete]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I would rather have a manned mission to mars then send more rovers.

The weird thing was that the methene was detected by earth based telescopes (Sky and telescope ran an article of it in their Febuary issue) and not by orbiting Mars Satteltites or the Rovers themselves.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
There is a bad side to this though.

Now the tree-huggers will be coming out of the woodwork to "Save The Martian Microbes" if an when we decide to colonize.

I like the idea of finding life because that pretty much lays to rest any question about other life elsewhere.

UNLESS

the life forms could have come from Earth to begin with, via a chunk of Earth blasted into space.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I wish NASA would stop screwing around and but some "life detecting" instruments on their rovers. They sent those two very successful rovers to Mars a couple of years ago but all they can do is look at rocks. Isn't the most important question about Mars "is there life"?

Beagle was designed to look for life, how hard would it have been for NASA to put an instrument on those rovers that look for signs of life? It almost seems like they don't want to find it. Hmph, but of course some freaking rocks are more interesting and important than extraterrestrial life....

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Dudes,

Let's just play a thought game.

NASA, on its inception, commissions a study regarding how its policies should be structured and presented to the public. This study says that, if NASA were to discover life or artifacts of life in space that this information should be kept silent because of public reaction.

Decades go by. Probes are sent to Mars and other planets. These probes, even from orbit, clearly identify dried up river beds and dessicated oceans. During the same period thousands of people on Earth report encounters with aliens.

Now... let's say that... fairly early on... NASA realized that it was very likely that life either existed or still exists on Mars. If it cracks the info to the public -- according to its own study -- the public would lose faith in authority. So, what does it do? Well, it can't reveal the stuff until the public is ready, but it also can't halt space exploration (such a halt wuld tip its hand, as it were).

What does it do? Well, it would quickly dismiss all arguments for life existing on Mars for decades. If the remains of ancient monuments appeared in photos taken by probes... such photos would be altered and the people who believe in them called nuts. All reports of alien abductions or encounters would be attributed to... nuts.

But probes would still have to be sent out, so as to continue the cover. If they weren't... people might think that something HAD been discovered. So what is NASA to do? Send out probes that can't detect life. If another group -- say the ESA -- were to sendf out probes that could detect life... such probes would have to be downed or delayed, now wouldn't they?

Finally, after years of preparations, the time would come to reveal the presence of life to the public....

Call me optimistic, but... I think the day is coming soon.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Onlyinmydreams, I couldn't have stated the facts more clearly.

One small step for man, one giant frightening realization for mankind

Bump

~ Rebel Saint ~

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   
onlyinmydreams

that really only applies to intelligent life, or space fairing life.

For all we know it there could be a type of lichen, or fungus that is producing the methene on mars. Or even bacteria.. you dont expect bacteria to show themselves pointing ray guns at you and saying "Take us to your leader"

I highly doubt nasa would even be able to keep the lid on something like a rover stumbling across an alien skeleton. there is probly a underground watchdog group that is tapping into the Mars Rover transmitions and making sure there is no cover up.

Supposadly the New mars probes launching in 2009, there is going ot be 2 kinds, one wieghing 3 tons and another at 1 ton. But the 3 ton rovers are going to have a laser installed that is able to volitize part of a rock at up to 10 meters. It would be the first ranged weapon brought onto mars

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   
First NASA needs to test the waters and put its toe into it to see what happens with the public. It does that by doing the following:

1. Saying there's a high probiblility that life exists on Mars. If that seems to fly with the public, then;

2. There's definately microbial or bacterial or fungus type of life on Mars. If that goes over with the public without them running for cover in the churches;

3. There's plant life of some form on Mars.

The idea is to condition people to accept "non-intelligent" life on Mars. Then, finally, MAYBE;

4. There's some form of "animal" life on Mars. If that should happen to be accepted without too much panic, then;

5. There's evidence of PAST life on Mars, i.e. ruins, artifacts, etc. The idea is to make sure people don't feel threatened.

There's a L-O-N-G way to go before anyone from NASA admits those UFOs are being flown by beings from somewhere other than Earth.

That is unless the aliens shortcut the whole process and come down and introduce themselves to us.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat

I highly doubt nasa would even be able to keep the lid on something like a rover stumbling across an alien skeleton. there is probly a underground watchdog group that is tapping into the Mars Rover transmitions and making sure there is no cover up.

, It wouldnt really be that hard, they have to go through every image taken. To filter out such things wouldnt be hard.

::NASA guy sitting there looking through pictures from rovers::
"good picture, bad picture, good picture, bad picture."
---
I look at the facts. And the facts are alot of people are see'ing strange things.

Take for example an uncle of mine, complete skeptic about anything para-normal, ghostly, ufo's. Untill one night him and his wife woke up in the middle of the night.. both by a light outside, they looked out the window and the field across from them a "UFO" hovering about 40ft above the ground, after it leaves they both get into there car and drive to our house.. shaking, dressed in there pajamas, they were clearly in shock. They had seen something they just could'nt explain.
---
Thousand upon thousands of reports from people all over the globe, you can see how some people choke up from telling you about it. Its quite a shock because its completly out of the ordinary, Ive also seen a ufo fortunatly i didnt live in the middle of no were and i was with several people, even in that situation you feel a shock, your mouth drops even those who believe in the damn things.
---
Ive seen sightings turn skeptics into shaking wrecks.

I don't know if theres life on mars, but there is life out there..

onlyinmydreamsCall me optimistic, but... I think the day is coming soon.

I do too, its been over fifty years since the first hype got started about it.

In that time its created alot:

from that "weather baloon" in 1947, it has created movies, products. It has changed culture, most people have an opinion, those who out-right think its rediculess, those who are like "hey it could be possible" and those who have just accepted it. I think it has given humanity enough time to realise that if an alien race were to come, we dont need togo to our basements and load the shotgun.

I've asked alot of people the question: "What would you do?" , not one violent response. Ask someone from the 50's you might get more than a few

Time will tell.

Vorta

top topics

join