It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Media is Mind Controlling Us

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

You simply have to watch this video.
If you cannot, than save this thread and watch it immediately once you have a chance.

The founders and designers of modern popular Social Media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc, admit openly that they designed their platforms specifically to take advantage of your psychology and turn you into obsessed addicts who cannot help but continually check their phones or pcs compulsively in order to maximize profits.

They admit it is Exploitation, and if you do not TURN IT OFF and STOP CARING about your most recent likes, status updates, responses, etc - your life will be destroyed because you will become consumed by this senselessness.

They explain that they designed it act upon your brain similarly to gambling, akin to slot machines, and to create dopamine rushes that physically addict you if you fall prey to it's machinations.

All things in moderation, or in some of your cases, just cold turkey quit using programs like Facebook or Instagram. Stop staring at your phone all the time, the fabric of society is being ripped apart. Facebook knowingly designed it's program to drain as much as your attention as possible at any cost because they make tons of $$$ off your attention. As information increases, your attention decreases. They milk your attention for $$$.

Many problems have arose and become widespread as a result of this paradigm, fake news is everywhere because sensationalism gets your attention. Deep thought takes too long, so people ignore it. They don't have time for that.

Did your phone buzz? Check it! Oh it was nothing important, again?
It's ok, just check it again in another few minutes, maybe it'll be something important soon...

Social Media Addiction is not a formal clinical diagnosis, it is fair to say that many people spend far too much time on social media and may at the very least describe themselves as being “obsessed”, if not addicted. In recent years the mental health community has become increasingly interested in the impact that modern technology has on our lives – both positive and negative. On the positive side, technologies such as Skype, Instagram, and Facebook allow us to stay in contact with family and friends on the other side of the planet. Yet, unfortunately, people spend hours every day updating their status, uploading pictures, commenting on walls, playing Facebook games, reading updates from others, and searching for new friends to add.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   
This looks like a really interesting thread, I can't really watch everything just now but sub'd so I can read it all later and have a look at those links.

Thanks

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Sweet!

I’m going to share this on my instafacetwit account. Maybe I’ll get some likes, shares and the recognition I’ve been seeking after.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Very good video. I gave you a like and flag to raise your dopamine levels Muzzle.

I know this is happening, I see it all over. I myself do watch my stars here to judge if I am being too rude, I am not out to alienate others but I am out to mention what I see happening from doing research. There is a fine line, I do not want to reinforce people's beliefs if they are brainwashed to believe something that is not quite true even though it is socially accepted, but you cannot change someone if you alienate them either.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   
People are addicted by choice. Your smart phone doesn't force you to check anything.

Smart phones and technology in general are designed well, hence why people can't get enough of them.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Wow, good thread. I don't have much to add, other than exactly!!

I was just talking the other day about the phone zombie problem, and the funny bloopers like the lady walking into the water fountain.

Freekin' brainwashing

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Good video but it's something I and I guess others already knew. I do have an account on fb & twitter but not on for long when i log in. A few mins twice a day maybe and that's to chat to my associates! I can't stand the constant bombardment of the me me me attitude.

I think youngsters are more at risk than adults as most are being bombarded with music and sexual lyrics/images from "artists!"
edit on CDTThu, 15 Mar 2018 16:26:22 -05000000003104x122x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

I think people should be addicted to tech, to learn stuff.

It's odd that what they want to learn is other peoples thoughts 24/7/365

It is weird.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

It is weird.

Who is they? People?

What's wrong with communication and dialogue? And understanding others perspectives?

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Some people are weak-minded and fall prey to the manipulations of others of ill-intent. I think the MSM is just as dangerous as social media. I don't do either.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Very good video. I gave you a like and flag to raise your dopamine levels Muzzle.

Hahaha I've become so numb I need a mega dose of flags.
Like 200 in one shot.

Otherwise my high isn't so great anymore.

I don't care if it gives me a heart attack.
Cmon ATS help me chase the dragon!

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Some people are weak-minded and fall prey to the manipulations of others of ill-intent. I think the MSM is just as dangerous as social media. I don't do either.

"I don't do either" - that's exactly how you should say it, because as we've seen, they are essentially drugs unto themselves and are very damaging to the human psyche, and as a result, our very lives themselves.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire

originally posted by: Mandroid7

It is weird.

Who is they? People?

Dr. They... cmon don't you watch the X-Files?
The one with Dr They causing the Mandela Effect and the return of the forgotten 3rd member Reggie Something was the best episode they've ever made! It was on just a few weeks ago.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire
People are addicted by choice. Your smart phone doesn't force you to check anything.

Smart phones and technology in general are designed well, hence why people can't get enough of them.

And certain types of persons. However Facebook can be used very well as an information sharing tool, has a good deal of practical use for may of us. And we all have those friends that use it for a public potty of one sort or another.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Many around these parts have known of this for some time. To whit:

This particular quote comes from a discussion on MetaFilter, regarding the massive changes at the social aggregation news site Digg earlier this year. MetaFilter user blue_beetle accurately observed that "if you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold". This sentiment doesn't just apply to unhappy Digg users but to a significant portion of the online experience and many real life interactions. We pay, for example, for the awesomeness of Google's free array of services by helping Google build an enormous database filled with our billions of searches and personal information.

This week as you scour the internet and stores for holiday deals, keep in mind that when you're not paying with cash you're paying with your personal information.

lifehacker.com - from 2010.

Bold and underlining above mine.

If a person has an addictive personality, then the addiction itself (whether it be drugs, gambling, sex, or in this case online reinforcement) isn't necessarily the issue. Some people seem to not be bothered by such and are not susceptible to the influences others might be. Those are few and far between however as the greatest majority of the population fall within the bell curve and are thus easily manipulated.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I wouldn't dispute that, but that's kind of the point in a capitalist society.

To make money, however necessary. Hence clickbait and the likes that exist.

I don't think it's inherently dangerous - I can't stand the MSM and make the choice to ignore the "news," in large due it always being more interested in pushing a narrative rather than reporting.

But it's not forced, and to put it bluntly: not that hard to turn the TV off, flip the channel, read news elsewhere, etc etc

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I figured this out a couple months ago- aided by FascistBook locking me out for a 3 day suspension that lasted 3 weeks, and my finding out how exactly their customer service works (WHAT CUSTOMER SERVICE). I stopped using it.

I also sent FB HQ a bucket of crap from poopsenders.com.

Did your phone buzz? Check it!

If my phone makes noise, It's telling me to take my meds, I have a text from the wife, or a phone message. It also gets irate when it needs power.

I took FB and twitter off of my phone.
edit on 15-3-2018 by wylekat because: I forgot a thing

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   

I still think ATS is the best place for news. You have two sides beating an issue to death until the truth is reached. No one gets to post BS without it getting called out here on this site.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   

I still think ATS is the best place for news. You have two sides beating an issue to death until the truth is reached. No one gets to post BS without it getting called out here on this site.

Agreed.
The diversity in thought here goes far beyond most websites.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Millions and millions. A tidal wave of voices. All of which use sound bites as their opinion
This is all talk and no results. they can control the masses this way.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join