It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You need this metal medicine for your soul. I give you - JINJER!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 02:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: auroraaus
a reply to: badw0lf

I was talking about how I feel about Metallica with my boyfriend just this morning! I don't appreciate any of their music post '99 for my own ideological reasons... heh

It's a bit sad how they've become a south park parody of themselves..
I idolised them growing up, cut my teeth on the guitar learning their music. Still play their riffs to this day, they were absolutely unique, even when performing covers. I hadn't heard the originals before I heard 'tallica do them, and when I did..
they took something that inspired them, and inspired countless others. Now they are pulling weeds out of the garden and saying "Look honey, It's a rose!"

But you are right - different genres in the overall genre. Like we got mathematical metal man!!

That is meshuggah... or how I actually used to think of them. their timing is so odd, it has a term I can't remember, but it is impossible to head bang to. lol..

ps: that there is wicked! love it! thanks for sharing, I'mma look them up. I too like OP have been in a lack of new (at least to me) artists funk.

I hope I didn't lead you up the path there.. when they started out (they are an old band, broke up, got back together) they were YAAAAAWWWWWRRRR music.. same as Fear Factory when they first hit the scene. No discernible lyrics. And music so messy it was painful for all but the more die hard of that genre. I wasn't. But as they progressed, they moved away from it. For a while, they still sang about dismembered corpses and used medical terms, and were all about the macabre. Which is strange as they're all vegetarians. Or were, not sure of the line up now.

They wrote a song, Corporate Rock Really Sucks. about how they were forced to change their music and image to suit the company they were signed to, iirc. Which facilitated their initial split. I still like Heartwork, that cd was most of their good work.

But bare in mind, looking them up, you'll likely find a plethora of stuff that makes you throw the speakers in the bath tub and flush them to get it out.. lol.

Look for things more like this

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 02:38 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

South of Heaven elicits very very fond memories for me

Of sitting in a park, in the fort with some mates, supping down kaiser stuhl reisling (and despising that insipid stuff) with the tape deck playing this loud as a tape deck could back in those days. As the day turned to night, we'd hit the bbq with the snags we'd bought just for the occasion, and play that tape till the batteries ran out. But by then we we're all incapable of listening as everyone was arguing over something or another. And we'd wander back towards the brightness of the streets with the street lights, and find our ways home.

Ozzy.. He was more a solo man for me. Mr Crowly still plays well with me. I had no idea what he was singing about at the time, he was part of the park fort repertoire. Along with this ol' chesnut..

let him who hath understanding, rekon the drinking at the time..

edit on 15-3-2018 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: auroraaus

I would never...EVER reveal my Michael Jackson nor Prince song collection.

Under any circumstances...EVER.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Ambience.

Or to put it artistically, the soundtrack of life!

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Holy cow, thank you for the recommendation!

I haven't really dove into the metal scene for a very long time, instead sticking to the old awesome favorites. Jinger, however, was awesome! I'm going to for sure put them on my list to look into further.

Her vocals, non-growling, are so smooth and amazing. Reminds me so much of old-school Nightwish before they let Tarja Turunen go. What a mistake that was, imo.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

I would never...EVER reveal my Michael Jackson nor Prince song collection.

Under any circumstances...EVER.

I am not ashamed to admit my shameful playlists. Tragic pop, 80s, oldies, hymns, music by an eccentric gay bulgarian popstar, alternative yada yada yada. Metal is my mainstay of course, but as a former band geek, I appreciate differences.

Although I still cannot abide with that song Over and Over with Tim McGraw and Nelly. My God that's not good blending at all.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 03:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Subrosabelow

Do yourself a favour, Nightwish's new female vocalist (not Tarja's replacement, the replacement of the replacement) is phenomenal. Listen to the Live at Wacken 2013 stuff and my word, she's fierce. She brings strength, power, beauty etc without sounding mincing or "whiny''

ps: obligatory MARCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 04:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Ambience.

Or to put it artistically, the soundtrack of life!

Many a night I put on Soma FM ambient stations and listen to ambient (to a lesser degree, trance), or my favourite, Space Station, which is noisier, but just as tranquil.

Music soothes the savage beast, you know, they say..

somafm.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Just for something ludicrous and different.

I also don't mind weird shyte lol

sorry for hijacking your thread OP..

this is silly.. but I dig it O.o

(try to listen to all of it, they're actually good with their instruments)

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I love music, I have devoted as much time to it as possible for my entire life. My favorite kind of music is simply talent that doesn't take itself too seriously, and metal has been realm that is ripe with that quality (though metal snobs are some of the worst).

These guys took over my life for a bit when I discovered them.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: tribal

Her vocals are definitely run through a digital processor. I agree that she has some chorus, i don’t hear any delay, def compression, but it’s all been tweeked to give her that optimus prime quality. To each their own. This band would sound better as an instrumental. They certainly will not stand the test of time. In a world with 1000s of metal bands, i’d place this group slightly below limp bizkits third album.
edit on 15-3-2018 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

you dont hear any delay? in the link i provided there is obvious delay...if you dont hear it the rest of your critique is suspect.

as for standing the test of time...what is that exactly? there are lots of miserable bands that hang around forever like a bad ex....Jinjer is barely getting started after being together for 9 years and their momentum is still growing...they havent even peaked yet.

yes there are 1000s of metal bands. How many of them are breaking millions of views on youtube?

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

i always appreciate recommendations...ill check these guys out, thanks!

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Ah, thank you! She is quite good indeed. Admittedly though, I'm still wholly partial to Tarja. So many years of putting all the albums she fronted on repeat has made me biased, heh. There is just something amazing about operatic metal.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   

100%

I was never into female singers when it came to metal. The closest I can listen to is Amy Lee of Evanescence. But... That's not really metal. Not to me anyways. I think she's the only one I really like to listen to sing.

Once, when I was young, stupid and I guess I had no idea what music really was... I got into Kitty.

What can I say... They were hot... I was young and full of hormones... Sides, it was a good thing to have with the babes

Some 4-5 years ago, I went to a Danzig 25 year anniversary show. There was this band called The Agonist that was lead by a woman. Don't get me wrong, she was hotter than fire but I couldn't stomach the singing.

The band sounded pretty good but she made me want to vomit when I noticed all of the choreograph she was using. It reminded me of Brittany Spears or some stupid girl pop trying her hand at metal. The jerky body and hand wave movements... just ugh!!! It's as bad as boy band metal with their 9 string guitars and their overly rehearsed technical riffs that sounds like someone running up and down a fret board, making sure that no note is left behind! 9 string baritone and they don't even use the top 3 strings!

Good pipes? I feel most people could belt out a guttural yell if they really wanted to. This is just NO! STOP! Stick to pop! We don't need to glamorize metal. It's sad enough we have "musicians and singers" doing that now.

Call me chauvinist, I don't care. I just like my metal to remain... Metal A.F.!

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Fk Yes!

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Sup Homosapiens

edit on 15-3-2018 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Haha Fred Durst but not his wurst.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Sorry OP, not a fan of Jinjer. There's other bands that pull off the melodic vs growls much better. Jinjer is just too jarring for me.

I prefer Scar Symmetry, Lacuna Coil or Dimmu Borgir for this style.

I agree with many Metallica = sad parody of themselves.

Sad to see Slayer retire and the mighty Judas Priest looks to be on the ropes and going to retire after this tour with Tipton sidelined with Parkinson's. Firepower is a solid record though.

I do like Nightwish, pretty much every album I like.

If ya'll want a good fun band --- Babymetal is what I've been into lately... metal with J-Pop vocals and growls. The girls are just too cute to be metalheads but they are!

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 10:55 PM
link   
i appreciate all the replies. Its become quite a little metal love fest in here which i really appreciate......

and if anyone actually digs any Jinjer songs id like to know which one and why....i enjoy the deconstruction a bit......

thanks all for chiming in...even the ones i dont agree with...its all good in the metal hood

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join