It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good Greens Galore

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Howdy folks! So I ran across an idea on Pintrest(a great source of ideas btw) for making it easy to get a cup plus of dark greens every day, and before they spoil. Everyone i have told really digs the idea, so I thought I'd share it here on the boards. I take kale, spinach, chard, broccoli and collard greens, chop them up with a knife, add them to bag and shake em' for mixing. Then I stuff portions of the mix in a ninja blender with a cup of water per 32 0z of container size. It makes a puree which I then pour into ice-cube trays for freezing. After they freeze, I dump them in a large ziplock and store them in the freezer.

Never in my life have I ever had a consistent regimen of veggies and have bought supplements(most which just pass through the system) to suffice on beneficial nutrients, minerals and phytonutrienets. Here is what ya get with the dark leafy mix.
Vitamin A, C, K,E and my favorite B Vitamins (for cognitive and energy) selinium, magnesium, folate, anti-oxidants, calcium, iron and potassium. A real powerhouse of goodness!

Leafy Mix:
The portion of greens is:
1 bunch of kale
1 bunch of chard
1 bunch of collard greens
4-6 oz spinach
few heads of broccoli(rough on blender, so introduce sparingly)

So I utilize this daily with a 32 oz smoothie which consists of:
1/2-1 cup blueberries
1 cup of carrots
5 green veggie ice-cubes
1 banana
half teaspoon beet powder
Tablespoon of chia seed(protein and energy source)
Tablespoon of whole golden flax seed
half teaspoon of ginger root powder
half teaspoon of turmeric
half teaspoon of spirulina
1 cup almond milk
enough water that's about an inch or two from top

And there, boom, delicious daily regimen. Energy levels great, skin improved, cognitive optimized and I just feel good knowing I am feeding my body something so beneficial that over the decades I have missed out on.

I hope others may benefit from this and the cost of greens is usually 13 dollars and lasts a month.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   
My wife is banned from using pintrest. She sure messed up a lot of dishes with that site. She makes some of the best lasagna I or the kids ever had, yet she decided to try one of their recipes, we wound up throwing half of it away. That was the last straw, we both agree. That was the forth recipe she got from there, and everyone she got sucked compared to the ones in the old cookbooks we have.

I told her if she didn't quit getting recipes there, I would set the router to ban pintrest. I am the only one who can access the router. But my daughter has hacked it before, darn kids, the wife knows she can do it too. But she doesn't come over very often and I check it once in a while.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Haha, now that's kinda funny and yea I had a female roommate that obsessed over Pinterest and had all these half started projects laying around. I would submit the site is still worth a gander for some ideas, there are so many.
I just got the greens/puree idea there and got creative on my own with the smoothie mix.

Them dang hacker kids I tell ya, what ya gonna do? Stay off muh router young'un!

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: waftist

If I were to drink that green smoothy, I would get dizzy as hell. Nitrates and nitrates usually make my head spinny, it is some sort of orthostatic hypotension event, it is related to my type of tachychardia. I actually love salads and the green veggies, but can't eat too much of them. I can drink maybe a three or four ounce glass of that kind of stuff once in a while, but not more than one every couple of days or I get lightheaded and spiny.

Can't eat too much braunsweiner or lunch meats either, and the nitrates in nitrates in them are the same as in the lettuces, they add up. Once in a while with them is ok, no salad that day though.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Interesting, I had never heard of this. I knew nitrates as a preservative was unhealthy and I wasn't sure if that was same as natural nitrates in greens. It seems nitrates get converted to nitrites which is bad for us. I read that vitamin C inhibits this conversion though. Have you heard of this? I'm going to look for a ratio or something.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: waftist

Interesting, I had never heard of this. I knew nitrates as a preservative was unhealthy and I wasn't sure if that was same as natural nitrates in greens. It seems nitrates get converted to nitrites which is bad for us. I read that vitamin C inhibits this conversion though. Have you heard of this? I'm going to look for a ratio or something.

When you chew lettuce, sodium from your saliva mises with the nitrogens in the lettuce and forms sodium nitrate. Upon exposure to stomach acid, the nitrates turn to nitrites. This would be everyone. In the body the nitrates turn to nitric oxide when catalyzed they then cause the blood vessels to relax and in some people, this can cause a problem with blood volume and it lowers blood to the head as it fills up the enlarged veins. The reduced flow to the head then makes a person dizzy, it can trigger some kinds of strokes too. If you lay down, then things quit spinning. I noticed that when I first start to get a little light headed, if I drink a glass of water, the spinning doesn't get bad. You got about a minute to get the water before the spins happen.

My tachychardia is related to hyponatremia which is because I have always peed out tons of salt. It normalizes too low and I get weak if I do not get enough salt. I used to get plenty eating junk food, I quit that, so I have to add salt. I still only use about a teaspoon of salt a day, that is still within the recommended level. Junk food has a real lot of sodium. But it also has chemistry that dopes me up so I can't think extensively. I can't learn like I am now if I am eating junk food, I would rather lay on the couch and watch comedies and action shows when I eat junk food, not learning anything at all is just fine when I am junked up.

All the research I did on this, reading hundreds of articles on how it works in the metabolism, and I go down to the senior center and they have a pamphlet there talking about it. Gee, what a waste of time. Although the pamphlet does not say how you can avoid these events and what to do when you get one, it says see a doctor and get medication. Those meds do cause you to be a little more at risk of getting viruses and infections though, I would rather find a way to make it not happen.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: waftist

ABOUT! It's a vitamin bomb! Great recipe!

new topics

top topics

join