It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Counter sueing

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

It's not really your position to say the importance of anything to him.

It's obviously important if he's looking for advise.

How about you keep your personal importance rating scale to yourself?

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7
NO. He asked for advice, I gave him some, if he didn't like it it's not my fault. That really is the problem with you Yanks you've allowed this litigation culture to take over. You'd ruin each other financially and physically over such trite issues.
There was a guy in the bible had a good idea, cut the dog in half and give then half each.

(post by ZombieZygote removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: slapjacksFirst, and most importantly, what state is this in? Statutes differ from state to state.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: gr8skott

Illinois, as noted in OP

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: slapjacks

I'm sure that someone has already noted this, but anyone can file suit against anyone else for any reason, but that certainly doesn't mean that they'll win.

If the dog is the only thing in the lawsuit, it would probably go to a small claims court, where lawyers are generally not used to argue in front of a judge. If you have enough documentation and proof that the dog was purchased/rescued in your name, and have vet bills paid by you, and anything else indicating that the dog is your property and that you have been the main caretaker and provider for the animal, you should have no problem in a small claims court. Most judges in those places are pretty logical and can spot frivolity pretty quickly.

As far as comments about visiting/seeing the dog and whatnot, verbal comments are generally not legally binding, so that shouldn't be a problem if she doesn't have proof that you made such statements.

If she does take you to court over this, I would definitely counter-sue for any costs incurred and possibly for a small monetary amount to cover the amount of time you are forced to invest in proving ownership of the animal.

But research the laws of your state and how they handle pets--I have no idea if some states regard them as family members and would require a different court venue.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Here's my advice. Grow the f# up, give her the dog and go and get yourself another one.

Ummm...hell no Brah...my effing dog is worth more to me than all you mofo's...
A more trustworthy...loyal friend...than any 12 humans...

Just sayin...

Yousir

link   

I think ur done here my friend. From here on in it's gonna be variations on kill the dog, or tell her to go swing, either way, ur either gonna give in to her or call her bluff. I'd recommend the latter. Take a stand, you know ur right. ( just don't shoot her, I'd hate to see innocent advice go bloody wrong and end on Fox News ! Lol)

link   

I think ur done here my friend. From here on in it's gonna be variations on kill the dog, or tell her to go swing, either way, ur either gonna give in to her or call her bluff. I'd recommend the latter. Take a stand, you know ur right. ( just don't shoot her, I'd hate to see innocent advice go bloody wrong and end on Fox News ! Lol)
edit on 14-3-2018 by Midnite247 because: Double post

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

link   

link   

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

This is not legal advice. I am not a lawyer.

Since you are not married, and have POSSESSION of the dog along with the papers you mention, she has absolutely no case. Possession is truly 9/10 of the law in this type of circumstance. It would be a different story if you were married. Is the dog of significant monetary value? If this woman is wealthy enough to hire a lawyer, or "knows" a crooked one, they can try to sue you. But since she doesn't really have a case, a lawyer is not going to take the case. Unless the lawyer is crooked. In which case there has got to be something in it for the lawyer. So unless she is wealthy enough to throw thousands of dollars around just to cause a scene, I wouldn't worry about it. She's almost certainly trying to get you to hand the dog over to her so she can steal it from you. She's probably very jealous once she decided that you love the dog more than her.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

If you originally said it was ok for her to see the dog what changed? Why and when did you rescind it?

Is your fear really about her kidnapping the dog, or not seeing her. It appears you are the one holding the dog hostage.
Has she seen the dog since the breakup?

There is so much more to this story. Does she really care for the dog, or is she just trying to get back at you, or are you trying to get back at her. In the end I really feel bad for the poor dog!

(post by Mandroid7 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Sounds like a case for Judge Judy to decide.

All paperwork in regards to the dog, payments for vet visits, adoption paperwork, food purchases ETC are all in my name. I've got all the paperwork to back this up.

If you have all the paperwork, I wouldn't worry. Can she legally sue? Of course she can file a suit, whether it is dismissed or not (as being frivolous) is another matter. Yes, you can counter sue.

Don't let her near the dog. Ignore her and don't contact or reply to her until (if) she acts or files suit, then get a lawyer.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

You yanks?

Yeah I've got something for you to yank.

Your advice was garbage, you are missing the point. She is threatening litigation. He wants to keep his dog, she is the girlfriend.

You don't even engage with people who have threatened to sue..

You are arguing a pointless argument, that you believe your level of importance to the dog is important to the situation, it is pointless..

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Go to the cops and file a restraining order against her. This will give you an advantage when and if you go to court.

Claim she threatened you and the dog. It's your word against hers.

Play dirty...it's the American way!! No rules, No limits, take no prisoners!!
edit on 14-3-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   

<< 1    3 >>

join