It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Counter sueing

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Looking for some advice.

Long story short, My now ex (never married) is threating to take me to court for MY dog. I've been ignoring here messages completely because she is being ridiculous in what she claims is rightfully hers. Which it is not. Before we both mutally agreed that it was time to split up, I did say something along the lines of "we can work something out with you seeing the dog" not word for word but that was the jist of it. I've since rescinded those remarks. All paperwork in regards to the dog, payments for vet visits, adoption paperwork, food purchases ETC are all in my name. I've got all the paperwork to back this up.

Some might say why not just let her visit the dog. Well, my fear is that I think she would possibly take him and not bring him back (she's that unpredictable) and that's a risk I refuse to take. I do not want to see her, nor do I want to talk to her.

So here's my question: Can she legally "sue" me for this? If so, can I counter sue to reimburse any and all fees I may have to pay in court?

I'm by no means, educated in law, other than obvious laws that most people know. (Illinois if that matters)

Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: slapjacks
Going to court will cost both of you a lot of money, I would give the dog away and spend the money elsewhere...(Vegas comes to mind)

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I don't know the law, just a question.
Did you already have the dog before you all got together?

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   

If you was not married what does the law in the state say about rights that would be the same as if you was married???, case in point in some countries the person (normally the women as they bring less to a marriage financially) would be able to claim the same rights as if married after being able to prove a meaningful relationship was in process for at least 2 years. Some places will be longer some far shorter, what does the state say?.. When did you get the Dog prior or during relationship?...

From that you can see what options are open for her, if she has the same rights as if you was a married couple then I would think she could make claim, if not then I would tell her to take a hike...

Honestly when I hear this stuff I see why MGTOW has exploded, unpredictable behaviour is often spoke of during a separation, personally I would not want to be within cell phone coverage of someone like that..

Edit:: If she is as bad as what you say then do not be alone with her at all and document any interaction such as times she calls and messages, do not delete anything.. All bets are off to the level of bunny boilership she could pull if she is not getting her own way...

RA

edit on 14-3-2018 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-3-2018 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Of course she can "legally sue" but that does not guarantee an outcome. Let her do it. It will cost her money. If she does you might have to get your own attorney, but the cheapest way to handle the suit is to ask for its dismissal. Judges do this all the time. Court suits also take a very long time. Just roll with it.
edit on 3/14/2018 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Keep ignoring her, and answer who is this? To all texts, don't answer the phone or door ever. she sounds unstable, she will prove she is unstable and start texting you crazy incriminating stuff, so if you go yo court you can prove she's a wackadoo.

No lawyer needed. She probably can't afford one anyway.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   

She hasn't got a case, a pet is like a possession, think a car, if all the paperwork is in ur name it's urs. If she does go to court u don't need to counter sue, once the judge throws it out as a frivolous law suit she will have to pay ur legal costs on top of her own, standard, something I'd let her know before she moves any further, also if she does take it to court u can claim for damages, taking a day off work to be here, transport costs etc.. Ppl talk a lotta Sht in the heat of the moment, call her bluff, take no Sht .

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Here's my advice. Grow the f# up, give her the dog and go and get yourself another one.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

No, I did not.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: slapjacks
No, I did not.

And if she helped in the care; walking, feeding, etc. she may have a point. Dogs (like all pets) are considered property to the courts and if palimony applies in your state she could potentially seek compensation of some sorts.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Here's my advice. Grow the f# up, give her the dog and go and get yourself another one.

If you're going to be a ignorant A** hole don't bother commenting. your "advice" is about as useful as dirty toilet paper.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

harsh but fair; but it's the principle of the thing, if some muthrfkr is threatening to take a burnt chip outta my bin, they better know that's my most precious possession ever and they'll have to kill me to get it. Too many judge judys these days throwing lawsuits about like a hammer. In the real world they don't. The courts won't. And u shouldn't . The phrase I'll see u in court ends most of this nonsense.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I came across that, palimony is not recognized by the courts here.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   
MOVE to California, sanctuary state.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Midnite247

The phrase I'll see u in court ends most of this nonsense.

I'll give it a try, even though i'm reluctant to even converse with her.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   

I Def would. Threatening to sue is a bullying tactic. She Obv thinks it will make u Sht ur pants and cave. Little does she realise the difference between a blanket statement "I'll sue" and the reality she has to be the 1st to put her hand in her pocket of getting a lawyer, filing a suit, proving a case. I'm guessing she thinks ur weak enough to cave. My advice, call her bluff, don't ignore it, tell her to go for it then throw 5 mates a 20 to say she hated/beat the dog and is only doing it for spite. Courts hate these cases , they'll chuck it.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

# THAT.

Time to go watch

A Boy and His Dog.

Cmon Dogmeat let's go.

She can buy 11 cats.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Or feed it to a turtle while she watches and call it a day.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Yeah no, when someone threatens to sue you, all conversation needs to go through your lawyer.

Don't open up yourself to negotiations, setups, or legitimisation of her claim.

edit on 3 by Mandroid7 because: added2

edit on 3 by Mandroid7 because: sp corr

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
It's a dog for christs sake not a child.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join