It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Physicist Stephen Hawking dies at the age of 76 – family

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 03:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
a reply to: burgerbuddy

He didn't believe in God.

So he is nothing now, just like he wants it.

He is a legend, that is what he is. He will be immortal in the archives of human history.

No prob.

He's not God, nor is Degrasse tyson.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: CaptainBeno

This is one of these pieces of :news that doesn't come as a surprise but that doesn't make it any less bitter a pill to swallow. He had good innings, especially considering he was given just a few years to live after being diagnosed with motor neurone disease, we should feel privileged to have him around for so long.

Everything I do today will be done with a touch of sadness, akin to how one feels on hearing about the passing of a long lost friend...

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 03:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: CaptainBeno
THIS IS NOT GOOD NEWS

More to follow.

NEWS

I would have thought someone of the stature of Stephen Hawking would deserve a proper announcement here but hey.

Stephen Hawking was without question the greatest thinker of our time , a visionary who not only changed the world of astrophysics but astounded medical science with his longevity given he was diagnosed with a rare form of Motor Neurone disease at an early age and only expected to live a few years , living to the age of 76 is an astounding achievement.

His legacy will live on in the work that he produced and the strength of spirit he showed to battle through adversity to become a household name around the world , he now takes his place with Mankind's great thinkers in World history.

Today the world became a little bit dumber.
Rest in Peace Dr Hawking , you've earned your freedom.

edit on 14-3-2018 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 03:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
WOW dude just wow. Have you no remorse?

For what?

Everyone I know is dead.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 03:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder

Nothingness isn't so bad, certainly better than infinity in a Utopia where nothing bad ever happens, who'd want to spend eternity in such a facade... and it's highly unlikely such a place even exists so I'm sorry to say there's a 99.9% chance you will turn to nothing but dust when you die.

Yeah that's why God gave us a soul.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 03:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

originally posted by: CaptainBeno
THIS IS NOT GOOD NEWS

More to follow.

NEWS

I would have thought someone of the stature of Stephen Hawking would deserve a proper announcement here but hey.

Stephen Hawking was without question the greatest thinker of our time , a visionary who not only changed the world of astrophysics but astounded medical science with his longevity given he was diagnosed with a rare form of Motor Neurone disease at an early age and only expected to live a few years , living to the age of 76 is an astounding achievement.

His legacy will live on in the work that he produced and the strength of spirit he showed to battle through adversity to become a household name around the world , he

Today the world became a little bit dumber.
Rest in Peace Dr Hawking , you've earned your freedom.

OMG! your deference is astounding.

KNEEL!

What would he say?

His atoms are going back to the primordial soup.

Worm poop.

That's it, game over man, no soul.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Not deference just understanding.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 04:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Not deference just understanding.

Of #ing what?!

Do you understand what he wrote about or any of his work?

I challenge any of you to run with his whatever.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 04:20 AM
link   
R.W.G Mr. Hawking

May he find truth to many of the answers he was restricted from finding when he was here.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Understanding of his place in the history of Mankind and his contribution to the field in which he worked.
You are free to continue being a luddite but that doesn't make it acceptable , your contribution in this thread is shameful.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 04:41 AM
link   
May you rest in peace, Dr. Hawking.

He was a great mind, without a doubt. He was a tribute to perseverance through great physical hardship and living proof of mind over matter.

That said, I had some fundamental disagreements with some of his theories, as did many others. Not his theories so much as the foundations of some of the things he accepted from others before him, his starting point in many cases. Even Hawking would come to acknowledge these things in time.

Regarding whether the World will be a worse or better place in the vacuum left behind by Hawking, I choose to think on the 'glass half full' side of things, that the World may be a better place. The world of Physics can now move on.

So many physicists after Einstein have defined their whole existence trying to prove Einstein wrong, it was their sole claim to fame, and I find great fault with this. They spent their whole lives trying to progressively chip away at Einstein to define themselves. They did this through Quantum Mechanics. Hawking, for a time, was among them, but even he eventually realized that Einstein's theories were central to the pursuit of concepts like the theory of everything (TOE) and the Grand Unified Theory. And while Hawking eventually concluded that a TOE was likely not possible, I saw this only as a final acknowledgement that the TOE would not be found using Quantum Mechanics exclusively, not that it wouldn't be found at all (although I suspect Hawking may debate that point).

There is a certain level of arrogance in the world of Physics (much like many other scientific fields), what with all the fame. And sometimes it is this same arrogance which, unintentionally, blinds (or restricts) further significant scientific advancement. I am not positing that Hawking was among those, not intentionally anyway. However, his mere presence and his embracing of some of these theories did steer research (monies). So many were bent on celebrating him, rather than challenging him. In other words, Occam's Razor may have been sometimes overlooked in the blinding glare of personalities such as Hawking and others.

Hawking, in my opinion, should be celebrated for what he truly represented...hope. In the end, it was 'hope' which was Hawking's greatest achievement, and he does indeed deserve mountains of credit for this. There is no debate he truly was a great professor. Though professors often teach what is known, and ultimately the secrets of the Universe will be unlocked by those who break those chains and seek out the unknown, great minds, Hawking among them.

Rest in peace, Dr. Hawking. You have inspired generations to come, and you will be missed.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 04:46 AM
link   
The trajectory of the world just became a lot more dangerous without his wisdom to lead the way. His was the brilliant mind of my lifetime.

RIP, Dr. Hawking. Thank you for all you gave us and may you fly high with your unbroken wings.

TG

edit on 3/14/2018 by timidgal because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/14/2018 by timidgal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 04:46 AM
link   

I always remember this tune by Pink Floyd with Hawking. One of my favorites.

RIP Mr.Hawking.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Shame he didn't get to see another solar system like he planned.

www.geekwire.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: timidgal

The trajectory of the world just became a lot more dangerous. ...

I beg to differ. Hawking did not make the World any more safe, or any more dangerous. People who say and believe things such as this most likely do not understand the real contributions people like Hawking make to the scientific community. Instead, they are sometimes blinded by some of the political views to the audience their fame affords them.

His was the brilliant mind of my lifetime. ...

Hawking was "a" brilliant mind, he was not "the" (only) brilliant mind of your lifetime (or mine). Give the scientific world credit; there are many brilliant minds out there, and many more to come.

Hawking, if nothing else, was an inspiration. His mind in life was not nearly as powerful as his inspiration will be in his absence.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 05:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Imhere

I couldn't agree more. We keep talking about his physical limitations and hypothesizing about how much more he might have achieved without them, but what if it was those physical limitations that enabled him to hone his genius?

In any event, we thank him for enabling many of us to expand our minds with his brilliant ideas. He will be sorely missed.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Well, I guess you could also say...it's a shame no human being ever will. At least not and be able to return and tell someone about it.

Another way to look at it is...do you know for sure he didn't? He could be having a beer with Einstein right now on Planet X orbiting Alpha Centauri.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: timidgal
a reply to: Imhere

I couldn't agree more. We keep talking about his physical limitations and hypothesizing about how much more he might have achieved without them, but what if it was those physical limitations that enabled him to hone his genius?

And he actually said exactly as much in his lifetime.

In any event, we thank him for enabling many of us to expand our minds with his brilliant ideas. He will be sorely missed.

See? There you go, now you're on the right track. Inspiration.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Wow!! The dimming of a brilliant mind, he was funny to boot, didn't let his physical affliction got in his way.
Nuff Respect.
edit on 14-3-2018 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 06:44 AM
link   
He didn't die, he ascended. Have fun out there Stevie.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join