It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science teacher fed live puppy to snapping turtle in front of students, witnesses say

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Science teacher fed live puppy to snapping turtle in front of students, witnesses say

An Idaho middle school science teacher who reportedly fed a sick puppy to a snapping turtle in front of his students remained the subject of a police investigation Tuesday.
The reported incident in Robert Crosland’s classroom allegedly happened after school hours on March 7 at Preston Junior High School, located roughly 300 miles east of Boise.
“Preston School District was made aware of a regrettable circumstance involving some of the biological specimens at Preston Jr. High,” the district said in a statement.
“We emphasize that at no time was the safety of students or staff compromised.” Police told FOX13 the dog was alive when it allegedly was presented as a meal for the turtle.

Though I regret his choice of 'feed' for the turtle?

He was only showing the truths of life and the ugly side of nature.

The dog was sick. In 'the wild' it would have succumbed to a predator.

Even here in the (ugly rainy armpit of America's liberalism) Aberdeen, Washington? We spent tax money to 'rehab' some fawns, that Fish & Game, SHOT because they liked 'humans too much and could not be rehabbed).

Anyway - what this class was taught? Nature at it's base, nature-ness.

My question is why did this teacher choose to 'feed up the pup' - after school hours?

This district also said “the event occurred well after students had been dismissed and was not a part of any school directed program,” but deputies that spoke to FOX13 said it happened in front of students.

So there it is.

We feed snakes all those wee mice, and mice babies (called 'pinkies') to tarantulas in schools.

Dissect frogs and rabbits in 'science class'...

But someone slips a cog over a sick puppy?

That's what science is all about baby.

Survival of the fittest.

+26 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Guy needs a crack in the head with a bat.
Takes a special kind of demented soul to think this is okay

edit on 13-3-2018 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Kinda gross, and maybe shows a twisted sense of judgement on the teacher's part if this was a class exhibition.

edit on 13-3-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

+24 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I hope you never sprain an ankle trying to cross the street and a fast moving car can't brake fast enough, cuz, you know, survival of the fittest.

Maybe we should feed kids with cancer to alligators in the Florida swamps, cuz, survival of the fittest? Alligators need to eat, too.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Why has there been an uptick of these types of stories?

I see it across Facebook too.

Sick s#!' stories about animal abuse.

Sick stories about human abuse.

It looks like someone is pushing anxiety onto the population.

Anyone else notice this trend in the news?

Something's up.

It seem's something more than just a increase of news availability.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13

That's what science is all about baby.

Survival of the fittest.

No... No it isn't. That's not what science as a whole is about and it's not even what is postulated in evolutionary biology. Darwin published that hypothesis in 1859. The Modern Evolutionary Synthesis was adopted in the 1940's. Survival of the fittest is an anachronism that plays no role in biology.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Point is - I agree a 'puppy' was not the wisest choice.

The puppy was sick.

And, we feed tiny baby rats to spiders and live healthy mice and rats to snakes every day - in science class.

So what are you upset about?

The fact it's a puppy?

Or kids were exposed to the truth?

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
Guy needs a crack in the head with a bat.
Takes a special kind of demented soul to think this is okay

Exactly why is he demented? Is the turtle demented for eating it? Is it demented to feed reptiles live mammals? Rabbits, mice, rats, birds?

The line is there because people have been brainwashed that certain species are untouchable. In reality we’re all just animals under the sun, no more no less.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Would this be abuse to you if this was a antelope with a broken leg was being eaten by a lion in Africa?

Just wondering.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod
What exactly is not ok though?? If the turtle had eaten a live fish or rat there would be no controversy here. Why is a dog so high up on the totem pole of animal respect? Some people would even go as far as expressing their own demented torture fantasies against other humans for so much as kicking a yappy rat dog out of the way.

Who is really demented then? Dogs are lovely animals, but they are still just animals. It is only natural to for a compromised animal to be consumed as food to another animal. Of course IMO, I always believe the most merciful thing to do is a simple bullet to the head.

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   
While the cuteness factor is definitely in play, are we going to ignore the likelihood of a puppy being in the vicinity of a snapping turtle in the wild?

edit on 13-3-2018 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

There ya go! I was SO IN HOPES someone would bring that up.

Me? I would have put the puppy down with a shot to the head first - it was sick - and - if you're going to respect the animal?

Why just put it in the ground for the worms to eat?

Put it down with a bullet you can 'feed' it to that ol' turtle and use his wee life for something good.

But God forbid we even mention anything about guns or puppys in the same sentence with science class and reality.

And to not throw this thread off?

THIS IS NOT A GUN ADVOCATE THREAD.

Just used a gun as an example as a quick and painless way to put the poor put out of pain.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI
In Florida, unleashed dogs are eaten by gators all the time. Well not all the time that its like 20 a day or something, but lets just say it is not necessarily uncommon. A full grown alligator snapping turtle I have seen, and it could easily kill a toy dog. Of course if left to their natural whims, a dog approaching such a turtle, even the tiniest toy poodle or tea cup Chihuahua would likely simply startle the creature to swim away into the water.

I found one near a mini-golf course once though, and I started poking it with a stick. It stood its ground with its jaws agape. Maybe it has already happened, and the dog simply is filed as lost by owner never to be found again?

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

Survival of the fittest is an anachronism that plays no role in biology.

I guess they forgot to tell the animal kingdoms that.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
While the cuteness factor is definitely in play, are we going to ignore the likelihood of a puppy being in the vicinity of a snapping turtle in the wild?

Coyotes are alive and well where I live.

When people get smart and protect their livestock to the endth degree?

Coyotes will and so take and kill their dogs and cats - all the time.

So do the pumas.

Along with all the waterways here?

And people who toss abandoned and or sick puppies and kitties out on back roads.

A lot more likely than you - imagine.

edit on 0802Tuesday201813 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   

I get it, I do. Gators aren't turtles and unleashed dogs aren't sick puppies, also Florida isn't an enclosed environment. That was my point.

Personally, I would have had the sick dog put down. Not sure feeding a sick animal to another is healthy either for that matter.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Feeding puppies to turtles at a school setting is a guaranteed way to melt snowflakes, maybe even ice cubes. The article says he did it after class, but I’m assuming he did it in front of some of the students. You have to get a feel for the guy to know his intentions. Was he showing off for the kids? Is this normal behavior in a setting like this? I personally would have no problem if this were him at his home, but knowing this is a school setting I think he should have refrained from crossing that line.

As far as legalities go, dogs are a protected animal in the United States. It is illegal to harm them. That is probably why the article plainly states that the puppy was still alive when presented to the turtle for food.

I grew up on a horse farm and have owned many snakes as pets. Snakes eat mice and rats, and if they are large enough, rabbits or chickens. Not everyone can handle being around to witness feeding time.

I don’t know that I would punish the teacher if they were otherwise not a problem. At Best it could start a conversation amongst the students and get them thinking about morals and ethics.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Eh, I have to agree. There's no qualms about feeding perfectly healthy mice to class snakes, and those suckers are damn cute. I had to toss a few our snake's way in middle school when other students actually cried about it. Come on, Monty (yes, his name was Monty, was not a python, tho) had to eat and SOMEBODY had to toss it in there.

But an ill puppy is no bueno? If the animal is too ill or deformed to survive, I don't see why the not, providing it's not going to risk making the recipient ill. That is exactly the kind of prey predators go for -- the weakest & least likely to put up too much of a fight.
edit on 3/13/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   
While the article was interesting to read though I do have some questions:

Does this teacher qualify as a herpetologist and does he have a license to handle and have under his control dangerous and exotic animals?

While the demonstration, would show how dangerous the animal is and the role of nature, however, a snapping turtle is a dangerous animal and one that is an invasive species to the state. And where did he get the animal from?

So that would be several questions that I would have.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   

What exactly is not ok though?? If the turtle had eaten a live fish or rat there would be no controversy here. Why is a dog so high up on the totem pole of animal respect?

Because a dog can actually love you, or at the very least make you feel loved. They are the most reliable and trainable domesticated animals. They have helped humans survive for thousands of years. A dog is truly mankind's most reliable friend compared to any other animal, even humans.

Who is really demented then? Dogs are lovely animals, but they are still just animals.

So is humans, according to science anyway.

It is only natural to for a compromised animal to be consumed as food to another animal. Of course IMO, I always believe the most merciful thing to do is a simple bullet to the head.

I agree.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join