It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student walkouts scheduled all over US

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
If i'm understanding this correctly, they're walking out for 17 minutes at 10am.

Solution?
Give each and every one of the students a tardy slip, just as they would when I was in school. If you're out longer, get marked as absent and have to deal with detention or having your parents called over it.

Kids these days get far too much attention for their own good. Makes them grow up entitled. Treat them like the little #s they are- if they want respect in this world they'll have to earn it like the rest of us did.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us
These are the future sheep of the Country.

Sadly, that's probably actually true.

Thankfully for now, they haven't been fully indoctrinated and are still capable of achieving an individual thought structure... In a few years time, they'll be fully indoctrinated and will be marching in mass down the main street, strapped with an AR-15, chanting, "more guns".

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
www.nbcnews.com...

I have very mixed feelings about all the student walkouts scheduled for tomorrow. I am for and understand civil disobedience and know for some things it does work. I'm not sure this is one of them. So the kids protest, I seriously doubt that will have a big impact on current gun owners.

In my opinion the best way for these kids to protest is to stay in school, get an education, vote, run for offices and make the change they want to see happen. I think it is also naive to think this is just a gun issue, there is so much more to what is happening. Bullying, mental illness, pharmaceuticals, drugs, school security, family dynamic, media sensationalism, etc etc.

I have a feeling as with most kids, their views on the world will drastically change within a decade.

Still this country was founded on protest and protest is a part of or freedoms and constitution and moral fabric of this great nation. As much as you or I may disagree with what or how someone is protesting, it's their god given right under the US constitution and I think it's healthy. Sure their opinions will change with experience as they get older but I think students doing what they think is right and standing up for what they truly believe is a huge deal. We need more of this, instead of the apathy and xbox/smart phone generation that never leaves their houses.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I need my safe space.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

originally posted by: Lab4Us
These are the future sheep of the Country.

Sadly, that's probably actually true.

Thankfully for now, they haven't been fully indoctrinated and are still capable of achieving an individual thought structure... In a few years time, they'll be fully indoctrinated and will be marching in mass down the main street, strapped with an AR-15, chanting, "more guns".

I would rather have them ask for more guns versus them trying to take away my right to defend myself or try to strip away my freedom of speech.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   
"Take the guns first, due process second."
- Some high school kids

Talk about snowflakes.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

seriously????

A kid is more likely to die texting while driving, ODing on a drug, etc, then being shot in a school shooting. Heck, more school kids will die in gang shootings then will be shot at school.

The odds of them being in a school shooting are almost zero. Obviously adults are putting fear into them, for political gain.

There are something like 55 million kids in K-12, so yeah, do the math

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied

When you were a teenager, just like all teenager's, you were mostly influenced by peer pressure and other outside influences like pop culture and teachers. It's no different now and it's just reality.

You think old people are less informed and less wise than kids going through puberty? Kids believe that, adults do not. These kids are being used as political puppets, but as I said, I'm OK with them playing along. When they get older they will form their own opinions, but for now at that age, they are still vulnerable to being manipulated by adults.

The problem here is kids being used for things they won't understand for years.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Hey, more power to 'em.

Freedom of speech, right to assemble, etc...

Good for them.

I would ask them, however, do they give this much concern when one of their fellow students is abused at home, or in the hallways of their school?

They're not idiots, they're misguided. Look at who is behind it. Young ones are easy tools.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Yeah... Go with that.

Not indoctrinated, eh? Why, because they agree with you?? How soon you'd change your tune...

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I don't know much about this walk out directly, not having any of my kids in school. I would however bet that most of these kids planning to walk out were standing around last week with friends saying f@#+ the police. That leaves me with the idea of I don't give a rats @@@ what they have to say. I get a little tired of hearing, ban guns that's what cop are for, one day and f the police the next. From the same people.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

For the most part, I agree with what you said about kids being easily influenced, but then again...take a look at how easily influenced and brainwashed the "adults" are by Fox news, talk radio, huff post and MSNBC. And take a look at how we keep voting for the same Democrat and Republican politicians over and over again. US Adults are really dumb when you look at it that way...let's have the kids give it a shot, they can't possibly make it worse than we have.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson

seriously????

A kid is more likely to die texting while driving, ODing on a drug, etc, then being shot in a school shooting. Heck, more school kids will die in gang shootings then will be shot at school.

The odds of them being in a school shooting are almost zero. Obviously adults are putting fear into them, for political gain.

Yes, seriously.

There are App’s that can block texting while driving. Unfortunately, there is no App that can block a bullet.

Yes, kids have, and will continue to die from drug overdoses; until the government (that’s all us adults who vote) stops subsidizing the cartels and pharmaceutical companies that provide the drugs.

And the odds of you or I dying in a terrorist attack are infinitesimally small as well; that didn’t stop the current administration from trying to block travel from several ME countries for fear of allowing potential terrorists into the US, did it?

Or was that just another example of “adults” using fear “for political gain”?

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire
"Take the guns first, due process second."
- Some high school kids

Talk about snowflakes.

I see what you did there.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bhadhidar

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson

seriously????

Yes, seriously.

There are App’s that can block texting while driving. Unfortunately, there is no App that can block a bullet.

Yes, kids have, and will continue to die from drug overdoses; until the government (that’s all us adults who vote) stops subsidizing the cartels and pharmaceutical companies that provide the drugs.

And the odds of you or I dying in a terrorist attack are infinitesimally small as well; that didn’t stop the current administration from trying to block travel from several ME countries for fear of allowing potential terrorists into the US, did it?

Or was that just another example of “adults” using fear “for political gain”?

What's wrong with you, we have been using fear and kids as political tools for years. If you can combine the two that's a sure thing

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied

Old people? I vaguely resemble that remark.

Nope, they're perfectly within their rights to do this. ...and deal with the consequences that may, or may not, arise from the free exercising of those rights. Pissed off parents, school admin., etc...

I wonder, though, if they're as concerned about fellow students being bullied, as I asked earlier, at home or in school as they are about the slight chance of a school shooting??

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Oh I agree. Kids though are far easier to manipulate.

Not just US adults, but all adults.

The kids doing this does not bother me one bit. Parents need to be on guard and know what their kids are really doing though. We all know that many of the kids will just walk off from school given the convenient excuse. I would have at that age. Keeping them at home might be the smartest move overall.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I would have, too. ...and did more than once.

Parents should talk to their kids about matters like this. Especially in this day and age of instant media saturation.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I would schedule a mass detention for participating students in the gym on the subject of the US Constitution, might even take a week, but then again I wouldn’t trust the teachers to conduct it.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Not just the first amendment which they seem to understand well enough...

But all the others, too, which they seem all too willing to discard, and/or disregard.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join