It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women and Jobs

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I'm seeing a lot of stories on the news about women being disadvantaged recently, I didn't care at first because it was women's day a few days ago, but they are still going strong several days later, especially about a lack of women in high paying jobs, prompting me to write this thread. For a start most guys like to hire females because they like having them around, a male interviewer forced to choose between two candidates who are equally qualified but of the opposite gender is more likely to choose the female. This is even more likely to be the case if the business has a pro-diversity policy and doesn't have enough females.

If a business has more men then women there's no reason we should instantly assume it's because the business is owned by sexists, in fact that's probably the least likely explanation. It's more likely that they hired more men because more men applied or because more of the men were qualified for the job. The simple fact is men and women are not the same, we differ in our biology and our mentality, which causes us to have different preferences. Does anyone question why most hairdressers are female? No, because we inherently understand it's a job which is more likely to attract women, just as construction jobs attract mostly men.

We live in a time where women have just as many rights as men, and to act like they're still living under the oppressive thumb of evil males is quite conceited. If you want to be a CEO, a professor, a doctor, what ever it is you can do it if you put in the time just like anyone else and you get skilled enough. People are looking for skill, if you are good at the job they don't care what is between your legs. If you act like a victim and view yourself as a victim then that's the reality you will manifest for yourself. Quite frankly I think it does more harm than good to young girls to constantly repeat these notions that the world is against them.

They are led to believe these silly stereotypes that don't actually exist in the real world and it's damaging to their psyche and ability to form relationships. It's clear feminists only complain about high paying jobs or jobs that make them look smart. If they wanted true equality they'd complain about a lack of women on construction sites. It's a good thing that men and women are different, do we really want to live in a society where we are all exactly the same? Why would we want everyone to think, look, and behave exactly the same way? Wouldn't that be the opposite of diversity? Our differences are what define us and what make the world interesting.
edit on 13/3/2018 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

Plus they're bad at math, dress too provocatively and they have terminal cooties.

And to think we gave up a rib for this.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Women are just as intelligent as men, just because there are less female professors or less female programmers doesn't mean they are worse at those jobs or that men are holding them back, guys are just more analytical and more likely to do something which involves cold hard logic. I'm a programmer and I know of several highly skilled female coders, many of which are more skilled than I am. There's no nerd conspiracy to prevent girls from entering our secret club, trust me we will not complain about more girls in the industry... it's fine to encourage women into these fields but to act like the whole reason they are not equally represented is due to the evil patriarchy is absurd and insulting.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I think you missed the joke, like Shaq used to miss his free throws.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Plus they're bad at math, dress too provocatively and they have terminal cooties.

And to think we gave up a rib for this.

As I said to my secretary, I certainly wouldn't pay you more to sit on my knee and take notes if you were a man.

QED wage gap isn't real.

Next thread - why only married women of property should be given the vote (and obviously only with their husbands permission).

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: dothedew

I'm aware it was a joke, but I wanted to add clarity to my position anyway.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
well men are afraid to hire women because of this #metoo movement.

And can you blame them? They are going to have to keep them in separate buildings, no men and women coexisting in the work place.

Now a days if you look at a girls ass at work and say damm that is sexual harassment.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Differences in the work place are mostly attributed to 1) women being child bearing resulting in them needing to take time off which slows their advancement and 2) fewer women generally enter certain careers. For example, when I was in b-school, women overwhelmingly went into marketing, but far fewer pursued finance.

Ironically, women overwhelmingly are in education but no one says "education discriminates against men".

My wife has been working her way up the corporate ranks and she has partly been able to because I have a flexible job. In fact two of our close friends have wives who are at the top of executive ranks. One is a CEO, the other is only two or three positioned removed from CxO. In both cases, the husbands are stay home or have jobs that are flexible allowing the woman to climb the ranks while still having children.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
well men are afraid to hire women because of this #metoo movement.

And can you blame them? They are going to have to keep them in separate buildings, no men and women coexisting in the work place.

Now a days if you look at a girls ass at work and say damm that is sexual harassment.

Absolutely the wage gap was created by that hashtag.

Next they will be telling me I can't insist on push up bras and miniskirt for my female staff.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
it's fine to encourage women into these fields but to act like the whole reason they are not equally represented is due to the evil patriarchy is absurd and insulting.

I would never say it is the whole reason but it is a reason and I tend to think that most rational people would agree.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
Next thread - why only married women of property should be given the vote (and obviously only with their husbands permission).

Women voting?!?!?! My head hurts.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Point 2 is an interesting one and generally true.

If we ignore the why this is for a moment it leaves 2 options.

1. Women generally go to less well paid jobs

2. The jobs women do are generally less well paid.

This is a pretty important difference and makes a big difference to how significant the wage gap is. *

*anyone claiming no wage gap is spectacularly ill informed.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I ran a small construction company. I had all guys working for me. I wouldn't want to have a woman get hurt working on a roof or freezing outside during lousy weather. I was brought up that way, Women get the less dangerous jobs. Is that wrong? On top of that, if I were to put a woman on the crew, the guys would be tripping all over her and probably fall off a roof or something.

I had one good looking woman apply to work for me, the guys said they would take a buck an hour cut in pay if I put her on. I told her that although it would be nice having her on the job and she would probably be a good worker, I did not think it was a good idea. I mentioned it would be easy to get the guys to go insulate crawl spaces, just stick her in there and they would have followed her in like dogs in heat. Then she could say she forgot to bring something and come out and lock them in the crawlspace till they finished their work. She got a kick out of that, and she understood, since the guys seemed to be going into her house I was insulating every half hour for a glass of water.

edit on 13-3-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

Women voting?!?!?! My head hurts.

What can I say, I am a radical.

Would also let them drive if accompanied by a responsible male.
edit on 13-3-2018 by ScepticScot because: Freudian slip

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
To answer the age-old question, what is the meaning of life?

Women!

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Some, not all of women that have great jobs and pay feel the need to make comments to point out that are women that are doing a man's job .
Because most people don't see it when a woman is the boss , they just see a boss, and some will see them as a bad ass woman who has her # together and just gets # done.
And that is not a bad thing either .

I think women in power who do their job right and with integrity is awesome.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
it's fine to encourage women into these fields but to act like the whole reason they are not equally represented is due to the evil patriarchy is absurd and insulting.

I would never say it is the whole reason but it is a reason and I tend to think that most rational people would agree.

Yes, a very small reason which is virtually irrelevant in today's world.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   

In the last 10 years or so of working, I have had many female bosses/supervisors tell me they would rather hire men because there's less drama with it. I've heard countless women in my 39 years of living tell me they'd rather have male friends, because they can't stand being around other women. I recently worked at a bank, and during one of my training sessions I was training alongside a new branch manager. He told us that at his old bank his entire crew was male, and everything was great. They all worked together, timed their lunches, nobody ever had a problem. The moment they hired a female, drama happened. The very first day she was there she started complaining about when people were taking their lunches. He and I were the only males in that class, everyone else was female, including our trainer, and they all agreed. My old boss told me she wishes more men would apply for the job, because there's too much drama with an all female staff. She left for another job and we got a new female manager, and guess what she told all of us?? Yep, she prefers to hire men because less drama.

I see a trend here, could this be why things aren't equal?? Or is it further proof of what I keep hearing women I've known say??

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: JHumm

I think women in power who do their job right and with integrity is awesome.

Indeed.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Necrobile

I see a trend here, could this be why things aren't equal??

Well it's certainly a reason, how much it contributes I couldn't say lol

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join