It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why White Evangelicalism Is So Cruel

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Just the stuff that specifically and knowingly came out of slavery...

It is hilarious to think of how many religions with “southern” in front of their name were specifically formed to be slavery apologists for their planter overlords.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

I lived in TX for about a decade or so, all my kids were born in TX. It had it's good points and it's bad. There's some things I rather miss, but, other things I just couldn't live with. I don't think I would move back there.
I do know that being a northerner, there was some really odd things outside of some of the language quirks I ran across. like when people now are complaining about the blacks being racists themselves. well, I really never met a racist black till I moved to tx, it totally threw me for a loop! and really they weren't being racists, they were being more defensive.. I wasn't trying to be rude or offensive to them, I was just being dumb... their skin color wouldn't had mattered one bit.
so, well, here we are now, and while the clintons are still being dragged through the mud over a cigar and dress... the religious right is acting like trump, who's has his own history so similar to bill's is being put on a pedestal by the christian right as some kind of savior of sorts. wars on christmas, white genocide, the persecution of the christians while you can't drive more than a few miles before you run across a church....

something is not right in the land of oz!!!

link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Again, using antebellum South as an analog for modern day South.

Do you think that modern day Germany and Germans are the same as Nazis?

link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: Gothmog

Anyone with a history book knows that baptists/southern baptists specifically split over the disagreement about slavery..

Southern baptists said it was ordained by god, northern baptists said slavery was an Afront to god..

The southern baptists are right, slavery was/is ordained by god in the Bible..

The problem wasn’t the south’s interpretation. It was Christianity as whole.,

Really ? Everyone knows this ? Or do you mean everyone that you know in your tiny little circle ?
What was the major religions of the North ?
What was the major religion of the South ?
If you research those questions , you will understand the nomenclature

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gandalf77
Nice article OP. It’s a good point the author makes.
It is perplexing indeed that the fundies & the evies willingly overlook so much moral bankruptcy in the current administration. They’re convinced Trump will further their agenda. In reality Trump couldn’t care less what they want; he, like other GOP candidates, just wants their vote and will act the part to gain it.

If that crowd really chose to attend to the message of the New Testament, they might be doing some good in this world. Instead of helping those in need, they’d rather condemn people they think are violating some Old Testament law. You never read articles in the editorial page condemning the wealthy, despite what the New Testament has to say about it.

And when there’s a president who actually seeks to help people, they act like he’s the Antichrist. Obama couldn’t crack his knuckles without some hayseed thinking he was sending secret signals to the Muslim brotherhood.

We don't need a squeaky clean angel to get things done in the White House. Trump has proven that. We needed a scrappy fighter who can stand up to the media lies and BS.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   

but the germans still have some scars and some quirks that are a result of that time, don't they?

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Without going race or political, religious ideology holds that Gods people are better than godless peoples. So if somebody doesn't practice your religion they are destined for hell and therefore anything is better than that. So go ahead, manipulate, enslave, rape, pillage and burn.

After all, they are going to hell anyway...

The same ideology holds that in the end god is going to destroy the world so why conserve or preserve anything?

After all, its all going to be destroyed anyway.

In Religious ideology the people that make it to heaven will be served by everyone else, so serve me now, because you will do it for eternity anyway.

What twisted webs of exceptionalism we weave and yes, religion, the state and culture are all bound together.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi

originally posted by: Gandalf77
Nice article OP. It’s a good point the author makes.
It is perplexing indeed that the fundies & the evies willingly overlook so much moral bankruptcy in the current administration. They’re convinced Trump will further their agenda. In reality Trump couldn’t care less what they want; he, like other GOP candidates, just wants their vote and will act the part to gain it.

If that crowd really chose to attend to the message of the New Testament, they might be doing some good in this world. Instead of helping those in need, they’d rather condemn people they think are violating some Old Testament law. You never read articles in the editorial page condemning the wealthy, despite what the New Testament has to say about it.

And when there’s a president who actually seeks to help people, they act like he’s the Antichrist. Obama couldn’t crack his knuckles without some hayseed thinking he was sending secret signals to the Muslim brotherhood.

We don't need a squeaky clean angel to get things done in the White House. Trump has proven that. We needed a scrappy fighter who can stand up to the media lies and BS.

Been reading Reichfart?

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Yawn.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

but the germans still have some scars and some quirks that are a result of that time, don't they?

Do they? How many Germans do you know?

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

You seem to think you know a lot.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   

How do you figure that, care to explain your position

I am going to laugh at your silly attempt to justify your position and condemning the bible for what it teaches Christians to do, regarding slavery

Just a fair warning,
So go on Joshua Cox, explain where the New Testament endorses slavery like the US of A did back whenever

edit on 13-3-2018 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I wonder how many people know that..

God knows they keep it as hushed as possible down here in the south..

I was prob early 20s before I ever found out why there was a “southern baptist “ church.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   

I am taking the word of my husband, who spent time in germany while in the service. mostly, they still carry quite a bit of shame about it, they probably shouldn't but they do. that's probably why they are so apt to censor anything that has the faintest hint of nazism.. there's other quirks, but that's the one I remember the most.
but, if you believe that God has given you the right to own another human being, then I guess there is no reason to have any shame is there?

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

A) the Bible is not only the New Testament..

B) I don’t feel like looking up the exact verse, but I’m sure you’ll know which one I mean..

Paul: “slaves serve your masters as if to disobey is a sin against jesus himself.”

“Slaves, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ;”

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   

lol... the church I went to wasn't southern baptists. just before I left it, the hot topic of discussion around the table in the restaurant after church was why they weren't christians...
surprisingly, or not really, slavery, or any connection they may have had with it or segregation, was never mentioned in those conversations.
it would be interesting to see this country as a theocratic nation, scary as all heck, but interesting. sooner or later the question would come up, which branch is the right branch, and they'd be right back where they started from, weeding out or converting the ungodly...

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   

he said basically the same thing to the wives...
which makes me ask, why bother converting the wives or the slaves if you are gonna tell them to just do whatever their master tells you to do, regardless of what they see as right or wrong in god's eyes? they don't need morality teaching, they need obedience training!!!

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

It only happened in 1945.. that is what?? 80ish years ago.. we are not talking ancient history here..

Even American slavery was less than 2 lifetimes ago.

Being ashamed of the mistakes of the past is how you make sure you don’t make the same mistakes again..

In fact imho it is southern pride that led to the civil war AND is the reason for our current racial situation..

The south has NEVER been ashamed of slavery or their treatment of black Americans.

More than that, THEY BLAMED THEM for all the lost treasure and lives in the civil war..

“If those damn slaves had just known there place it never happens.”

Watch ANY MODERN interview with someone who went to bat to keep segregation.. THEY ARE NOT ASHAMED OF THEIR ACTIONS..

They always have some deflection or justification to explain why they were the ones who were really being wrong..

The south rebelled over southern pride...

They ceded the moral high ground in the conflict by firing on Sumner first, because of southern pride...

They invaded the north instead of defense in depth tactics because of southern pride....

Which made them lose, because of southern pride..

They backed the KKK resurgence because of southern pride..

They backed segregation because of southern pride..

The opposed civil rights out of southern pride..

There are even good arguments for the war in Iraq being from W. Bush’s “southern pride” because sadam out a hit on his daddy..

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Because those who wrote it originally didn’t believe it either and religion HAS ALWAYS been a way to control the peasants..

It is the ultimate and most brilliant big brother in history..

No cameras required..

No phones tapped..

Just convince everyone their is an invisible man in the sky who sees everything and he will torture you for all eternity if you don’t do exactly as the preacher tells you..

It really is brilliant and that is not me overstating it..

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   

And that is the whole reason everyone was all about freedom of and from religion I. The beginning..

There have always been a thousand flavors of Christianity, none of which agree with the others.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join