It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you considered right and left leanings?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
It seems like the terms ‘right’ and ‘left’ means different things to different people. Usually, whatever I don’t like is the other party, and I think that’s an issue.

I go old school:
The stronger the government, the more left it is
The weaker the government the more right it is

Absolute power vs anarchy.

The issues with this, it’s not as neat, plus you cannot put your opposition in a box.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

The Webster’s dictionary defines what right and left mean..

Right: uphold the traditions of the past instead of big societal change..

Left: ignore the traditions of the past infavor of big societal change..

That is why any “right wing change” is always includes “returning to some past precieved greatness”..

Everything else is mainly propaganda

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   
It's whatever the Republican Party and Democrat Party (and their hatchetmen in the MSM) say they are.

edit on 12-3-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I got trees leaning on the right side of the house and some on the left. They aren't a problem unless the energy of a storm knocks them onto the house. A storm is chaos, a disruption of peace and tranquility. So the political climate is changing, that is the real climate change we should be trying to fix, The atmosphere is getting too hot.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   

I think what you are actually referring to is the cartoon stereo type of each group.

First off, the 2 groups are fictional really..

There is no news letter everyone pro-choice gets that tells them how to feel about whatever issue.

For example: most groups considered “left wing” do not agree with each other , cooperate nor claim each other..

THE ONLY REASON THEY ARE ALL FAIRLY CONSIDERED “LEFT WING” IS THEY WANT BIG CHANGES..

Most importantly, the right doesn’t want a weaker government.. they just want stronger individual states , because it is easier to pay off state legislatures than to pay off national legislators..

Almost all the “states rights” stuff has been used for union busting and to keep the fed out of it while they rape and pillage whatever disenfranchised group.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   

I always try to be on the side of freedom.

Period.

Freedom is neither left nor right.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson
It seems like the terms ‘right’ and ‘left’ means different things to different people. Usually, whatever I don’t like is the other party, and I think that’s an issue.

I go old school:

The issues with this, it’s not as neat, plus you cannot put your opposition in a box.

At a macro level, right is less government whereas left is more government. The right is more about the individual, whereas the left is more about the group. Right is about equal opportunity, left is about equal outcomes.

Of course, there are exceptions, but that is the gist of it imho. For example, I hate that there is a group on the right that wants government to impose morality. We can't claim to want small government, but then want to use government to police people's bedrooms and other social activities.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   
People on the left stupidly believe in the benevolence of government.

People on the right stupidly believe in the benevolence of corporations.

Pretty much everything else branches out from both of those wrong assumptions.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

I don't believe in the benevolence of corporations. I believe in the benevolence of man and free markets. Big difference.

While the left believes charity should be through government, I believe society has shown we will take care of those who cannot take care of themselves.

link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Great term. The Two Party's masquerade as if liberal / conservative via the "cartoon stereo type" they've molded around each philosophy (in the ongoing construction of their supremacist ideologies).

link   

They mean so many different things these days based on party platforms (which have drastically changed over decades).

If I had to generalize into one big category, I would say Right means smaller government and less taxes while Left means bigger government and more taxes.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I think it really all comes down to “who do you trust more” and you have to choose because not trusting one is inherently trusting the other....

Do you:

A) trust big buisness to do what’s best for society , even though their ONLY motivation is profit not the betterment of that society????

B) do you trust the government to regulate big buisness because ATLEAST they are beholden to the American people through the ballot box???

There is no third option..

By not trusting the government, you are inherently trusting big big buisness. So those are the 2 choices we get.

I think big buisness has consistently done what is profitable reguardless if it’s effect o people.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Except the same Powers That Be own big business and big government, the MSM and Two Party's, and dark electioneer the voting process.

So good luck with that.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson

I go old school:

That makes sense, but No president since Reagan has tried to make Government smaller and that was with making the military bigger and stronger due to the cold war, so I don't think any politician wan't to make the government smaller except libertarians like Ron Paul and Gary Johnson.

I think it comes down to catch words and catch phrases for our modern definition of right or left.

If you are for protecting the environment you're left.
If you're for pro choice you're lift
If you believe in global warming your left
If you want any kind of gun control including background checks or waiting periods your left
If you want the right to protect yourself with a weapon or your hands your right
If you support big oil and coal you're right
If you hate renewable energy you're right

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

I don't believe in the benevolence of corporations. I believe in the benevolence of man and free markets. Big difference.

While the left believes charity should be through government, I believe society has shown we will take care of those who cannot take care of themselves.

Not really much of a difference there.

If our society today is an example of how well the free market and corporations take care of the less fortunate among us I'd say it's time to try something else.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Not really much of a difference there.

If our society today is an example of how well the free market and corporations take care of the less fortunate among us I'd say it's time to try something else.

Don't be so blind. Look around at how society takes care of others. Even the evil rich. Universities, museums, schools, hopsitals, non-profits, etc are all funded by in large by benefactors from billionaires to just working stiffs donating 50 cents.

There is all kinds of charitable giving and other services. Most of that stuff is best handled locally. Part of the problem is that government sucks up so much resources through taxes and is too inefficient at distribution.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   

"right" and "left" are simply feeble-minded insults that people use to insult others who have a different political ideology as themselves.

In reality, you have conservatives, who are people who believe in traditional values and think the political system should stay the same as its always been...Then you have progressives, who believe in embracing change and think the political system should be constantly evolving to suit current culture.

The true solution to creating a better society, is probably somewhere in the middle of both these political ideologies.

But the people will never agree to settle for somewhere in the middle... Everyone wants to either have it all their way, or nothing at all.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I don't think people can be split down the middle like black and white or yes and no.

It's all shades of grey and maybe or depends.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   
A Right Leaning person enjoys their Ice Cream. A Left Leaning person critiques it and and bitches about it being too cold.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
there is no such thing as left or right, people are just being misled for the sake of the interests and gain of the parties, the parties are destroying american cohesiveness with their corrupt manipulations through the media, schools, workplaces, unions, social media and wherever else they can think of.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join