It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump’s tariffs aren’t good for the economy, Ron Paul warns

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I would think that taking a personal sacrifice in order to help the wider scale economy would be right up your street?!

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
a reply to: projectvxn

Read it and just responded to it.

I don't disagree with it as much as I expected to. We both seem to believe in the immense power of automation, but have different applications for it, w/you using it for the individual while I'd use it for the community/district as a whole.

I think there is and should be room for both.

You can't have community without the individual. If we don't respect individual rights we'll just turn it all into a technological serfdom. But if we don't include a sense of community, we end up with marginalized populations. I think the key to this is the decentralization of education and the certification thereof by national governments(or global).

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dem0nc1eaner
I would think that taking a personal sacrifice in order to help the wider scale economy would be right up your street?!

Are you saying that I should be glad to pay more money for newly tariffed goods because that "sacrifice" will somehow help the wider scale economy? I actually think this will hurt more Americans than it will help, so I'm failing to see where this would be right up my street.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Trump often acts as if complex, world-affecting changes are "simple and easy." And they probably are, in his mind. But they aren't. I guarantee his top economic advisor knows more about world economy than Trump does. And he (probably wisely), quit.

Funny thing is that Trump is trying to punish China, first and foremost. And Steel imports from China is a whopping.. 3%. We get much more steel from our allies - Japan, South Korea, and the most from Canada. The real result of this will probably be.. China is barely effected, U.S. citizens will end up footing the bill on steel and aluminum products, and the hardest hit countries will be our closest allies. And a longer reaching effect will be other countries responding to this in kind. Other countries are already banding together in response.. leaving the U.S. outside looking in. Trump will lose if he takes on the world.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

"Greedy Unions"...shows ignorance. There is no better way for a working man to take care of his family than to join a Union. You have to take what you can by force of will or collective strength. No one is going to give you anything. It is smart to uniknize. Union workers sverage 30% more in wages and benefits than non unikn workers. It is jealousy pure and simple to be anti union....that or sheer stupidity.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

if its a tariff on all things made with steel and aluminum it might make them open factories in us like toyota did. remember when we bailed out auto industry gmc took the money we gave them and sent it to brazil obama should have slapped a tariff on those vehicles because that was a slap to americans who bailed them out after mismanagement.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

clinton is the reason they have nukes in nk he gave them two reactors. kinda hard to make plutonium without a breeder reactor i don't believe its found naturally on earth.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
a reply to: Irishhaf

I'm glad you brought up the fact this administration is considering scaling back these tariffs for allies and friends. Who are these friends? What's the criteria? Will this include NAFTA that both Canada and Mexico, close friends and allies, are part of? The US has a deficit with many EU member nations so how's this going to work?

The entire basis of these tariffs falls apart once reality hits.

Ill freely admit again that I could misread the situation, but you seem to be approaching this as the Tariffs are something more than just a tool to force people to renegotiate things.

He said from the get go that he wanted equality in the trade issue, and tariffs are a tool to address this, which is something he campaigned on.

To use a war analogy, Vietnam for years we refused to risk civilian casualties in North Vietnam, but when the US was ready to get out we bombed the stuffing out of the north and that made them sit down and talk.

Tariffs are like Operation Arc Light, they are not the end they are the catalyst to reach the goal.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Tariffs for the sake of tariffs are not wise. Tariffs as a negotiation tactic are very wise. I have yet to figure out how you can continually be blind to what is really going on. It's amazing really.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I say. Whatever tariffs are put on US exports by China or any other country will be the exact tariff on that countries exports. No more bankrupting the US for the globalist fascists sick fantasies.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

originally posted by: Dem0nc1eaner

Are you saying that I should be glad to pay more money for newly tariffed goods because that "sacrifice" will somehow help the wider scale economy? I actually think this will hurt more Americans than it will help, so I'm failing to see where this would be right up my street.

Wha? you can't afford another grand for your BMW?

Give up the heated seats.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: fleabit
Trump often acts as if complex, world-affecting changes are "simple and easy." And they probably are, in his mind. But they aren't. I guarantee his top economic advisor knows more about world economy than Trump does. And he (probably wisely), quit.

Funny thing is that Trump is trying to punish China, first and foremost. And Steel imports from China is a whopping.. 3%. We get much more steel from our allies - Japan, South Korea, and the most from Canada. The real result of this will probably be.. China is barely effected, U.S. citizens will end up footing the bill on steel and aluminum products, and the hardest hit countries will be our closest allies. And a longer reaching effect will be other countries responding to this in kind. Other countries are already banding together in response.. leaving the U.S. outside looking in. Trump will lose if he takes on the world.

lol, yeah and where they get their steel?

Why do you people have a problem with being self sufficient?

Let THEM have to buy from US!

See how they like like it.

FYI, i love aluminum foil.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: KeithCooper
a reply to: WUNK22

"Greedy Unions"...shows ignorance. There is no better way for a working man to take care of his family than to join a Union. You have to take what you can by force of will or collective strength. No one is going to give you anything. It is smart to uniknize. Union workers sverage 30% more in wages and benefits than non unikn workers. It is jealousy pure and simple to be anti union....that or sheer stupidity.

Or they could be why we have to import everything coz they priced themselves out of the global markets.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

A 25% tax on a business's imported resources (by tariff) is bad for the economy. A 30% tax on that business's labour costs (through a union) is the best thing since sliced bread apparently.

I'm not ready to blanket label all unions as greedy, but they've basically undercut our industrial base (and their own relevancy) with the 30%+ "tax." Look at Detroit. They killed their own golden goose.

That 30% "tax" is why industrial companies fled the US for Mexico.

Between the D's sponsoring big labor and R's (and now both parties) promoting outsourcing, and the new D insistence that we allow an even larger unskilled labour pool, small wonder our industrial base has crumbled while wages plummet. The jobs left, and now we have a glut in the workers. You could only just barely do better deliberately trying to damage the economy.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Tariffs are generally bad. But if other countries are are doing it to your imports, you have to return the favor or you will go out of business. Trump is only doing what other politicians were probably bribed not to do.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 02:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Doctor Smith
Tariffs are generally bad. But if other countries are are doing it to your imports, you have to return the favor or you will go out of business. Trump is only doing what other politicians were probably bribed not to do.

Let me get this straight, you think it's probably a good idea because you like Trump, you have no idea whether or not is or even why but sounds good so must be good......

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 04:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: Doctor Smith

Let me get this straight, you think it's probably a good idea because you like Trump, you have no idea whether or not is or even why but sounds good so must be good......

When I went to school they had a thing called simple mathematics. Instead of indoctrinating the student to be a fascist self hating communist. The charity days are over. We are in dept by letting them stack the deck against us.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Doctor Smith

So it's because you like Trump and the simple mathematics you learned in school.... OK I buy that story...

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: Doctor Smith

So it's because you like Trump and the simple mathematics you learned in school.... OK I buy that story...

It's not because I like Trump. It's because it's the smart thing to do.

posted on Mar, 14 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

But your right. Everyone that's hip likes Trump. I think you like Trump. You just don't know it yet. Once the Brain wash wears off you'll be backing Trump.

edit on 14-3-2018 by Doctor Smith because: Added brilliant thoughts

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join