It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump administration goes on offense, sues California over sanctuary laws

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+39 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Here comes the Feds going after California over the "Sanctuary" thing.

Cal is getting sued for "Obstruction of Enforcement".

They will undoubtedly win and set a major precedent for the other "Sanctuaries".

What goes around comes around as they say 😎

After more than a year on defense against a flurry of legal challenges to President Donald Trump’s immigration policies, the Justice Department went on offense Tuesday, filing a suit against the State of California that alleges obstruction of federal immigration enforcement.

Filed in federal court in Sacramento, the lawsuit targets three sanctuary-focused laws that the California Legislature passed last year. Each was passed as part of a backlash against Trump’s vows to step up immigration enforcement.

The litigation is modeled on a lawsuit the Obama administration filed in 2010 against a controversial state law in Arizona that sought to crack down on illegal immigrants, SB 1070. That case resulted in a Supreme Court ruling finding that some provisions of the Arizona law unconstitutionally intruded into Congress’ right to set federal immigration policy.

[🎁🎈]

+11 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Hope he rips them a new butt hole...!!!
edit on 6-3-2018 by ATSAlex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   
As much as our state needs change, nothing will happen. We will sadly stay a sanctuary state in spite that most of California disapproves of it.

The only way to fix this sh%#hole is to break California up. Let the coast shrivel up in their own greed.

The only glimpse of light in this darkness is that the S%#tstain jerry Browns term is up this year. Although the candidates don’t look much better.
edit on 6-3-2018 by TheLotLizard because: (no reason given)

+14 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 10:09 PM
link   
How come it took so long to do this? It is against the law to harbor illegal aliens, that law has been on the books for a real long time and is enforceable. Why just sue them, toss some of the people doing this in Federal Prisons.

+12 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

They will undoubtedly win and set a major precedent for the other "Sanctuaries".

After more than a year on defense against a flurry of legal challenges to President Donald Trump’s immigration policies, the Justice Department went on offense Tuesday, filing a suit against the State of California that alleges obstruction of federal immigration enforcement.

Filed in federal court in Sacramento, the lawsuit targets three sanctuary-focused laws that the California Legislature passed last year. Each was passed as part of a backlash against Trump’s vows to step up immigration enforcement.

The litigation is modeled on a lawsuit the Obama administration filed in 2010 against a controversial state law in Arizona that sought to crack down on illegal immigrants, SB 1070. That case resulted in a Supreme Court ruling finding that some provisions of the Arizona law unconstitutionally intruded into Congress’ right to set federal immigration policy.

[🎁🎈]

Suing California?? I see it as a cope out. The Feds should be issuing arrest warrants on specific individuals for violating Federal Obstruction of Justice Statutes. The governor, the city Mayors and Chiefs of Police that order non-compliance with Federal Law.

Period. That would end this in a heart-beat.

+15 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I think this is a very reasonable move by the Trump Administration. I probably would have gone with rolling the tanks into downtown Sacramento.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I think this is a very reasonable move by the Trump Administration. I probably would have gone with rolling the tanks into downtown Sacramento.

Would you like to see tanks rolling down the street in your home town?

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

[🎁🎈]

Suing California?? I see it as a cope out. The Feds should be issuing arrest warrants on specific individuals for violating Federal Obstruction of Justice Statutes. The governor, the city Mayors and Chiefs of Police that order non-compliance with Federal Law.

Step one would be to stop californias laws from taking effect. With these laws in place you cannot get anyone for obstruction of justice. So what they do is get an injunction barring them from taking effect then failure to comply can be treated as a felony charge. Can't arrest people for following state law because no judge would convict them

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I would, that would be cool. I doubt if it will ever happen though, they would get stuck in the snow or get stuck in a pothole on the street.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Common sight if you live on post. So Yes.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I always thought federal law trumped state law?
Not American could be wrong.

Also not very knowledgeable on sanctuary city's but if they harbour illegals and give them equal rights to the common American without the due effort....well that seems kinda treasonous to me....

a reply to: dragonridr

edit on 6-3-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus While that idea would be a awesome sight to behold, it probably would not work the way you want. I can’t think of the last time that actually worked in favor of a government. If anything that very idea works in the oppositions favor.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Are you kidding? That would be frakkin' AWESOME!!!

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   
California is ready to collapse the economy is totally out of whack

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 10:55 PM
link   
If the courts rule for The Federal government and the state does not follow the law. Does that make Cali a bunch of fascist or dictators?

I am going to guess they will be painted as hero

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

originally posted by: nwtrucker

[🎁🎈]

Step one would be to stop californias laws from taking effect. With these laws in place you cannot get anyone for obstruction of justice. So what they do is get an injunction barring them from taking effect then failure to comply can be treated as a felony charge. Can't arrest people for following state law because no judge would convict them

I'm no lawyer, but one would think the State law has nothing to do with a Federal law. The State has every right to make it's own laws regarding giving information to the Federal gov't.

The indictment would be a Federal one prosecuted in a Federal Court. That indictment would be not individuals such as individual policemen or prison system people but the top people that ordered the initial sanctuary status and the leaders behind the legislation.

Just guessing, though.

+11 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:00 PM
link   
What California mayor recently enabled 800 Illegal Alien FELONS to flee to safety ahead of an ICE raid? (Safe to rob, assault, and rape more Californians)

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

It was the Mayor of Jokeland CA

😨

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
California is ready to collapse the economy is totally out of whack

That is true, they sure do not know how to manage money. I feel bad for the people up north in California, the waste coming from parts of California is really negatively effecting them.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:26 PM
link   

a reply to: carewemust

It was the Mayor of Jokeland CA

😨

Thanks! Ms. Libby Schaaf is the criminal mayor. AG Jeff Sessions is flying out to California tomorrow to personally lock her up!

Go get her Jeff! : sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com...

<<   2  3  4 >>

join