It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists discover quantum ball lightning made from 3D Skyrmions predicted by theory.

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   
www.sciencedaily.com...

At the moment, this is just with small clusters of atoms. If they can scale this up to larger sizes, then fusion reactor technology will advance and we will have a greater insight into ball lightning.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Love it when decades old theories are validated by future technology.

'What makes this a skyrmion rather than a quantum knot is that not only does the spin twist but the quantum phase of the condensate winds repeatedly,' says Hall. If the direction of the spin is changing in space, the velocity of the condensate responds just as would happen for a charged particle in a magnetic field.
The knotted spin structure thus gives rise to a knotted artificial magnetic field that exactly matches the magnetic field in a model of ball lightning.

I don't really understand it but it sounds cool.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Nice find! Is it me or does that sound similar to a galaxy? Seems also as if the artist impression thought so as his impression looks like a galaxy. The impression is supposedly made with the raw data!

I also feel as if scaling up or down we find the same things! This may make me dig some more on the theories that predict similar scaling similarities.

This also brings me to think more into magnetism and put gravity aside for a minute!

Magnetism and electricity or electric! Seems as if these are the most important things in the universe these days! Along with chemical and or elements and their reactions!

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: randomthoughts12

I think the artist tried to depict a (spiral) toroid structure. Galaxies are typically disks with spiral arms. Kinda different.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: randomthoughts12

Newton's law of gravitation: F = G (m1xm2)/r^2
Coulomb's law: F = k (q1xq2)/r^2

Very similar no? What if the force were somehow equal?

G (m1m2)/r^2 = k (q1q2)/r^2
q1q2 = G (m1m2)/k

Edit: actually they don't need to be equal, just proportional.

edit on 4-3-2018 by SkeptiSchism because: text

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
So we roughly know the mass of the earth, and of the sun and the gravitational constant G, as well as k, so we just need to know the relative charges of the earth and the sun, q1, q2

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Synthetic lightning?

I'm sure that'll only be used for good.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Thats pretty cool. Imagine being able to store plasma in magnetic field containers for use much later on?

or being able to use this in thorium reactors to amplify their yield.

Its very cool.

Is this the stage in our development where we learn about the various side effects of controlled magnetic field manipulation?

lol
Stick some super heated mercury in there to counter rotate in copper tubes while opposing electric charges run through the mercury and copper!

Just do it!

lol

S&F

edit on 3 4 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Maybe it will help them to understand ball lightning. I have seen it a few times, it is kind of cool and a little weird. It was over fifty feet or so from me, during a thunderstorm but before it rained both times. It seems to me both times the lightning was shooting back and forth within the clouds, no bolts coming down. But I can't be sure of that, both times I was kind of admiring the ball. I used to work outside a lot, you tend to look up and check the storm to judge when it is coming quite a bit when putting the tools away.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   
It is beyond me how the existence of ball lightning is even a matter of speculation.
I have seen it and its effects on objects hit by it.
It is a very real thing.
I've never seen a platypus but I do know they exist.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Ball lightning is amazing. A ball came into our classroom through the open window when I was in 7th trade. It hovered for a few seconds between our teacher and us before shooting out the open door, down the hall, and out through the exit. I'll never forget it, how it sizzled and crackled. Our teacher had partial hearing loss for days after.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Whatever ball-lightning is, it is reasonable to assume it is very hot.
It can punch a perfectly circular hole through glass.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: hunamongyou

Ball lightning is amazing. A ball came into our classroom through the open window when I was in 7th trade. It hovered for a few seconds between our teacher and us before shooting out the open door, down the hall, and out through the exit. I'll never forget it, how it sizzled and crackled. Our teacher had partial hearing loss for days after.

I've got news for you. That IS NOT ball lightening! Whatever that is they told you it was ball lightening because they either didn't know what it was or were scared to tell you.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 11:03 PM
link   

I know that this will sound crazy but I thought that this was already discovered! I spent two months looking for this and could find nothing.

You get plasma that tightens like yarn twisting all in the same direction then fusion is just a matter of adding energy. Then you get way more out than you put in.

Changing magnetic fields and refocusing them is really cool stuff! Initiate a cascade flowing inwards instead of away in all directions!

And I swear I read this in June of last year but never saw the story again! Combine with 32 Tesla+ magnetic coils I would say nuclear fusion is well on its way!!

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof

originally posted by: hunamongyou

I've got news for you. That IS NOT ball lightening! Whatever that is they told you it was ball lightening because they either didn't know what it was or were scared to tell you.

Th odd thing with this story is that my grandmother used to tell a similar story and whenever I stayed there (40 some years ago) and there was a thunderstorm she made sure there were two doors or windows open, one to let the ball in, one to let the ball out. Never saw one tho' but she said she did and was still a bit freakish about it.
edit on 5-3-2018 by snewpers because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Interesting--and I'm not even going to pretend to understand it.

So, does this mean that we'll have ball-lighting cannons on our nuclear submarines before I die, or what? We all know that anything cool must be militarized...

top topics

join