It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need a little yardage estimation help from crocheters

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Unless you want crappy yarn, it's WAY cheaper to buy one. a reply to: Nyiah

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   
My daughter has knitted some lovely throws from wool from here.

I would post some pictures but I am not adept at that.

The wools/yarn are lovely.

www.darngoodyarn.com...

www.google.co.uk... QKHfnPDUEQsAQIJg&biw=1093&bih=530
edit on 4-3-2018 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   
haven't explored this site as i just googled it but,

www.crochet-world.com...

Yarn Calculator
edit on 4-3-2018 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

crochet material calculations

duckduckgo.com...

)

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 05:35 AM
link   
You should check out ravelry for all your crochet and knit questions. My wife has met some cool people and learned a lot. She has been trading projects with people from all over for a couple years now.
It is amazing how good some people are. There is a lady from Portugal that makes # for my daughter that's some of the best # I've ever seen.

Usually a lady from California will spin yarn then send it to river knits to dye then to my wife to get put together then to the final spot.

What I'm saying is it is a cool community of people
edit on 5-3-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   
i just got around to asking my wife.

she said it depends on if youre using worsted weight or fingering weight.

she also said if you go to ravelry there are hundreds of free patterns that will give you all the info you need to know.

posted on Mar, 9 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   
check this out

this first one is the sweater for my daughter from that lady in portugal. these 2 are knit but im trying to make the point that some professionals hang out on ravelry

no pattern for that btw. she wrote it i mean.

same lady did this. looks like a machine did it

some lady in england did this. nice blanket huh? tunisian crochet

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

That shawl is amazing! I've eyeballed lace & fingering yarns, but don't quite have enough confidence yet to start something that tiny of a stitch and actually finish it. DK is about as thin as I trust myself to crochet and finish when not actually double knitting something, lol.

I'm still waiting for the Longcolors I posted to come back in stock, my husband's pretty sold now on blending those two in a checkerboard (gonna be a lot of granny squares) I'm also still mulling over stitches. I pondered the option of maybe going with a simple variegated stripes corner-to-corner to highlight the colorways, but I think I'd have more fun blending various variegated-friendly stitch types in individual squares & stitching them together for the blanket. And I could still do CTC granny squares to get the stripes

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Just a quick update & pic promise --

I got the Driftwater Blues I showed on the second page, and it's every bit as gorgeous as it looks. The yarn is also incredibly soft, too. It's probably one of the softest wool yarns I've ever used.
Also, I got it in Fingering weight instead of Worsted. I was a little intimidated at the thought, but after browsing many patterns for blankets in Fingering weight, I was sold on the idea of a lighter weight blanket versus heavy. It should still provide plenty of warmth with less heft to it (a bonus come washing & air drying)
It's just very time-consuming being so thin of a yarn, this really is likely to take me all spring, summer & maybe into early autumn to do. Tiny, tiny yarn, but it feels absolutely fantastic to the touch, almost deceptively delicate in a way.

I'm working it up in Corner-To-Corner, because pretty much every stitch I tried detracts from the colors & just doesn't look nice at all. It's not going to be the kaleidoscope of stitch types like I was going to go with, but it looks really nice letting it self-stripe this way.

It's supposed to be nice and sunny tomorrow (Sunday), so I should be able to get a nice photo in bright sunlight of what I've got done so far. TinySick's going to want to see these color transitions

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 03:21 AM
link   
First look, nearly all the way through the first ball of yarn (400 meters/436 yards) on an F/3.75mm hook. The fade pattern isn't a sequential one, it mirrors. That's actually really appealing, gives it a sort of depth.

My finger joints are killing me, though, I really need to get the ergonomic handle version of this hook. I've been slowly replacing my metal hooks with ergonomic ones, but I haven't gotten around to any of the small ones yet.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

so youre a professional.

that looks good for sure. gonna be nice when its finished.

where do you put the ball of yarn when youre working?
my wife has these things that look like plastic ice tea decanters with a whole in the lid. she puts the ball in there and then the end comes through the hole and you can set it on the floor. theyre only a couple bucks

i like it

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 04:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

so youre a professional.

Lol, hardly. I'll give sweaters a try eventually, but the best I can manage is scarves, hats, and blankets. The last few times I tried making socks were disasters that were reworked into hats for the kids.
Once I get a stitch type down, I usually fall into a tension pattern pretty quickly. I have a tendency to crochet very tight stitches and always default to picking them over the hook with my nails. It's a habit I've never been able to shake, and is a direct cause of being such a slow crocheter. The silver lining is it makes what I'm making that much stronger, though.

that looks good for sure. gonna be nice when its finished.

I'm impressed enough with the colors & texture that I'm seriously considering making ones in other colorways for the kids' beds, too. They'd be twin or full sizes, instead of queen though, I don't think I could do queen size 3 times in a row and not go nuts, lol.

where do you put the ball of yarn when youre working?
my wife has these things that look like plastic ice tea decanters with a whole in the lid. she puts the ball in there and then the end comes through the hole and you can set it on the floor. theyre only a couple bucks

Depends on where I park it, but generally next to me where ever I'm sitting. If I'm in the bedroom, I'll set up the laptop on the nightstand & stream something semi-distracting (time flies this way) while I crochet on auto-pilot, and set the ball next to it. I usually just unwind any given ball 6 or 8 times and work that length.
I do like your wife's pitcher idea, however. I'll definitely have to give that a try here soon when the weather warms up a bit more, because this solves the problem of where the hell to put the ball & keep it debris-free when I put the hammock back up for spring & park it there while the kids go nuts in the back yard

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:38 AM
link   

It's not an actual pitcher but it looks like it to me. They're for putting yarn in. Jo anns has 40% off coupons all the time. Pull that # up on your phone while you're in line. Thing will just run you a couple bucks

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:40 AM
link   

www.joann.com...=Yarn%2Bholder&start=1

Right there

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

my wife just made this big bastard

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Hahaha, Elf on the Shelf's nemesis, Owl on the Shelf
His eyes certainly follow you around the screen, I bet that's more pronounced in person, eh?

That's really good, he looks store-bought. I've never tried making stuffed things, but it's a really good idea for scrap yarn. I should keep this in mind for the end of the year or early next, the scraps would make a neat Christmas or birthday dino for my younger kid (not that she needs any more stuffed animals, it's the proverbial zoo/Jurassic Park set around here) I mean, they can't be all that hard, right?

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2   >>

join