It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roger Bannister R.I.P. The First Man To Run A Sub Four Minute Mile.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   
The death has been announced of Sir Roger Bannister at the age of 88. That certainly was a good age.

Bannister went into the history book in 1954 when he became the first athlete to run a mile in under 4 minutes. Seen as a fantastic achievement at the time.

R.I.P. Sir Roger. You place in history is assured.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Yes, all credit to Bannister for this achievement, and other achievements through his sporting career.

He did it without Lycra, an army of sport psychologists and coaches, and he smoked 20 a day.
edit on 4/3/2018 by paraphi because: Typo

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I don't know, I must be nuts. I do not believe it is important to run a mile under four minutes. I used to run track for something to do, not to win. I actually had to quit because of a tachychardia event. It was kind of fun, but I never liked getting praised for my abilities.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Imagine the time he could have achieved with what we know now? Diet and all the training expertise and equipment of modern day athletics. Almost definitely would have shaved a few seconds off. It's all by the by.

Being the first to do something can never be beaten. Anyone remember John Landy??

Great man.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
a reply to: alldaylong

Imagine the time he could have achieved with what we know now? Diet and all the training expertise and equipment of modern day athletics. Almost definitely would have shaved a few seconds off. It's all by the by.

Being the first to do something can never be beaten. Anyone remember John Landy??

Great man.

Don't forget well implemented "dietary supplement" (cough, steroids, cough) plans that nearly ALL athletes are on now. I know strength trainers at the college and pro levels. Yeah. It's all a cycle about not getting caught.

Never heard of this guy.

My guess is the first person to run a sub 4 minute mile was from Africa and trying not to get eaten by a lion!

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Trained on pots of tea and Sunday hill walks.

top topics

join