It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'M*A*S*H' actor David Ogden Stiers dies at 75

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 03:27 AM
link   
www.cbsnews.com...

David Ogden Stiers, who was nominated for two Emmys for his role as Major Charles Emerson Winchester III on "M*A*S*H," has died, his talent agency confirmed Saturday. He was 75. The actor had battled bladder cancer, according to his talent agency. He died at home in Newport, Oregon.

I loved MASH when it was on the air and I'm sorry to hear this. He was a talented classical musician and conductor, along with voice work for Disney but he'll always be Charles Emerson Winchester III to me.

RIP David Ogden Stiers

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

David Ogden Stiers was a part of a stellar line up of talent that made M*A*S*H one of the few adult programs I watched as a kid , Charles Emerson Winchester III was a pompous character played to perfection by David Ogden Stiers that gave Hawkeye and the others something to bounce their humour off , he was a great straight man.

Rest in Peace Mr Ogden Stiers and thanks for the laughs.
Farewell Sir.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Dismissed Major, we thank you for you service , however I think your legacy might be bigger than we think...

Has anyone noticed that Frasier Crane is very similar to Winchester? both are pompous, intellectual snobs who have a liking for vintage wine. Perhaps Ogden Stier's portrayal of Winchester inspired writers and then created Fraser Crane, a character that brought Kesley Grammer multiple awards-not to mention the show itself.

I could be wrong but i'd like to think it's true.

edit on 4-3-2018 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-3-2018 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 04:36 AM
link   

He will be missed. Goodbye to another good one, We Salute you!

rip.
edit on 4-3-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Another one down... I preferred his acting over frank burns though, even though they were both effectively the same role in the series. His smugness permeated his scenes, while franks bumbling nastiness did his.

alas, he got his wish...

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

Dismissed Major, we thank you for you service , however I think your legacy might be bigger than we think...

Has anyone noticed that Frasier Crane is very similar to Winchester? both are pompous, intellectual snobs who have a liking for vintage wine. Perhaps Ogden Stier's portrayal of Winchester inspired writers and then created Fraser Crane, a character that brought Kesley Grammer multiple awards-not to mention the show itself.

I could be wrong but i'd like to think it's true.

Other people have noticed as well (en.wikipedia.org...-36). There was one episode where they starred together.

I think this sort of evolution happens a lot. If one movie or series is a success, then there are spinoffs, sequels or parodies. We had Star Wars, then that created all the sequels and a parody Spaceballs.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   
M*A*S*H is great

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   
R.I.P. David, a very talented guy.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Another thing is that MASH ended one year after Cheers started. I would think there would have been something in Fraser that was part of Charles. Both play similar characters.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Funny you say that as he was a guest star on a Frasier episode as a former work colleague of their Mother's. The plot centered around the question of him being the real father of Frasier and Niles because of all their similarities. Funny episode.
www.kacl780.net...

Hard to find actors of that calibre any more. May he rest in peace.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Seems like when all the celebrities of your youth have passed away, then you're going to be next.

It was hard to compare my life growing up with that of my grand parents when they were young. I had imagined how alien my music was to what they had in their youth. Just yesterday I watched a performance of Robert Plant on Austin City Limits. His voice was still Plant, but he looked like an old southern gentleman from the Civil War. He looks healthy enough, but man I remember the young Robert Plant. Really good music though, different, interesting to be sure.

Can't stand much of the popular music of today and basically don't know who the big stars are now lately. I guess now I'm old enough to be realizing how my grand parents must have felt toward the end of their lives.
edit on 4-3-2018 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

I always liked him!!he was the voice of cogsworth and the narrator in the disney animated beauty and the beast....

there was 1 Mash episode that always stuck with me Charles had thedr korean guys and they played musical instruments but they were not that good...well charles was trying to teach them he was always such a snob and he berated them so...at the end of the episode they were blown up and he became so emotional it was heart breaking...we didn't get to see that side of his character very often but when we did it was really powerful

new topics

top topics

join