It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Disliked Character Traits

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   
A comment I read earlier this morning prompted a thinking-storm about "character", and when we use the word in reference to someone, we are mostly implying good traits, such as honesty, integrity, tolerance, generosity, determination and such.

Everyone has "character", but it might not always be quite so glowing in description or action.

What are the "characteristics" of a person that we, as a culture, see as undesirable? So much in fact that we find these people unlikeable?

I've had many of them going through my head as I write this. Do you agree? Or do you find any of these traits desirable?

What is a trait in a person you find the most icky?

In no particular order,

Arrogance, rudeness and bullying, domineering or authoritarian, dishonest, conceited or thinks way too highly of themselves, condescending,

Blames others for mistakes, overly-aggressive, never apologizing (seen as a weakness), focused on personal gain only, think they know everything, or know-it-alls,

Can't accept criticism, Abrasive (mean), huge sense of entitlement, unreliable, Cheaters, immoral, snobbish, jealous, bigoted, loyal to none, inconsistent, drama-started, sexist, immature, impatient, impulsive, overly-religious, overly political, bad winner, bad loser, materialistic,
hyper-critical of others, self-centered

Whoa, enough. I think I have some of these, too. What's your problem?

Thought I'd toss this out here and see what happens. It's a beautiful Saturday here, and I plan to go outside and cut down old dead stuff, but I'll be in and out.

To our good and flawless characters!

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Intellectual Dishonesty.

Makes me fart in their direction and bite my thumb at thee.
edit on 3-3-2018 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
we are mostly implying good traits, such as honesty, integrity, tolerance, generosity, determination and such.

Everyone has "character", but it might not always be quite so glowing in description or action.

What are the "characteristics" of a person that we, as a culture, see as undesirable? So much in fact that we find these people unlikeable?

Call me sexist but I feel men and women by design have different undesirable traits and the way I view them.

Case in point, if I come across a women that is needy and Narcissistic then that is a major red flag to stay the hell away as all bets are off how far she will go to get her way, the last year or so I distanced myself totally from a girl I knew for ages as she was constantly riding the cock carousel whilst turning herself into Instagram w@nk fodder and when men where pumping and dumping her and she could not keep a relationship going more than a few weeks she started to express interest in me knowing full well I am a very happily married man, that was enough to pull the pin, knowing her current characteristics made her about as toxic as drinking Fukishima tap water I cannot think of any reason why I would want to be within 5 miles of her or anyone like that.

If a bloke comes across the same I just find it a bit sad but I would not fear being alone in a elevator with him or calling him out on his current boggle.

On the flip side a dude just being a egotistical # is not something I will entertain as it just shows something lacking in their personality..

After thinking about all this there really are a lot of tossers out there....

Manners, simple please and thank you when you hold a door for someone, a friend of mine saved a persons life and all he got was a # you for his trouble,

Humans really are fickle Bastards...

RA

edit on 3-3-2018 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat Mar 3 2018 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Overly serious people.

I want to hold them down and tickle them. I think that may be assault but I don't really care.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

In our cultures, you might be right, women and men are indeed held to different standards. Such as aggressiveness and ambition can be seen as a good thing in men at times, but not so much for women.

I am positive, however, we should add "fickle bastards" to the list.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Overly serious people.

I want to hold them down and tickle them. I think that may be assault but I don't really care.

As long as you don't become one of those "over-ticklers". :0

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Hypocrisy. Every day I practically drown in it.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
As long as you don't become one of those "over-ticklers". :0

Yeah, too late.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Funny it's happening right now hahahhahaha

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInsite

Hypocrisy. Every day I practically drown in it.

NO JOKE. Some days we need scuba gear just to get through it. PEW!

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Funny it's happening right now hahahhahaha

The farting or the thumbing?

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   
People in important positions taking their jobs too seriously. I really don’t have any patience for people who lack empathy and concern for understanding others. Put them in positions of power such as managers or cops or judges or DMV workers and my disdain skyrockets..

I try and balance my impatience for people like this with a healthy dose of southern charm. It tends to get me through interactions with people of this ilk in a slightly less abrasive manner.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   
People who take advantage of another person's insecurity or weakness, especially for something as meaningless as material gain.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   

I find it very challenging dealing with individuals who don't apologize for hurtful actions.

Individuals self awareness varies. If someone tells them directly they feel hurt by something they've done and they still behave ignorantly in response, it's rather disappointing.

I try to practice being humble, but another's refusal to accept any kind of responsibility for their actions discourages me from wanting to build our relationship. I also worry about their well-being, feeling they are more open to being manipulated through their emotions. Imo, they are sabotaging themselves.
edit on 3-3-2018 by dffrntkndfnml because: Spacing

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I do both at same time for maximum affect tickles only compound the internal pressure.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   
People who try and control others. People who don't take full responsibility for how they react to another persons actions and instead try and change someone else to conform to their own personal ideals. People who can't accept another person who is different. People who try to transfer their own limitations and imperfections on others instead of changing themselves first. People who expect someone else to conform to their viewpoints in a relationship instead of acceptance or just leaving. The all controlling nag who will take such a promising relationship and destroy it in the attempt to change their partner.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

The all controlling nag who will take such a promising relationship and destroy it in the attempt to change their partner

What I'm going to say sounds so sexist, and I apologize in advance, but I read this somewhere a long time ago, and have remembered it.

Something like..... Men marry women and they don't want them to change, but they do.
Women marry men, and they want them to change, but they don't.

Just sayin'. If true, little wonder why we have so many divorces.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Is it just me, or is the site really slow today?

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I'd have to say our society glorifies and promotes the negative traits and punishes the positive traits.

Even here at ATS that's how it works generally.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Uncleanliness,spitfulness,greed and those who are uncouth.

I dislike these the most.

edit on 3-3-2018 by Athetos because: Better wording

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join