It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elon Musk promises travel to anywhere in the world, in under one hour

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 05:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

originally posted by: BotheLumberJack

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
Ehh. If there's one thing the world probably doesn't need it's faster travel.

Tell China that.

Hope they go to a mall near you.

Its china, 22,000 people will die before they iron out the bugs.

Sorry you're so anti everything. When did 22000 people die due to high tech train logistics?

You missed the word "will"

And what's this about trains?

If you'd stick to the OP and real time, it would enhance the thread by miles.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 05:58 AM
link   

a reply to: burgerbuddy
Have a beer, you look dehydrated.

Sake and red bull.

Beer makes my wife crazy. lol!

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Sake and red bull.

lol

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Tell China that.

Sorry you're so anti everything. When did 22000 people die due to high tech train logistics?

It's 20 posts long!

I already said, I'm not impressed or thrilled to travel that fast.

Only thing needs to haul ass like that, are munitions.

I'll wait till you guys work out all the bugs.

Like stopping.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Sake and red bull.

lol

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 06:10 AM
link   

ha! wait till it's 60 posts. Intellectual Argumentation is my passion.

edit on 3-3-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Ozone Burn...... ? Ahh, but who cares.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Sure- you can get anywhere in an hour, if you have the money.
Meanwhile, people like me take an hour to walk somewhere a couple miles away. Bus is longer.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamnotadoctor

Yep. It's not that NASA has sucked so much. Govt us always worse and more expensive than the private sector. Now that the private sector has stepped up, NASA would be remiss to Not use them.

Just wait till space x gets competition in the private sector. Gotta love capitalism.

Jaden
edit on 3-3-2018 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Another promise by musk.
Another promise he will fail to achieve.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Must show up 8 hrs early for pre flight check in. Sounds great and everything but could your average billionaire handle the G forces .

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
How about Elon pave all the roads in my town first,let’s start small.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   

It does when there is a natural disaster. Then you can't get stuff in there fast enough; medicines, tents, shelter, food, water.

There are also business meetings or job interviews. I'm between jobs now, and going to an interview from the South of England is anything up to a three hour train journey from the South Coast up to the Midlands or a one hour flight to Edinburgh in Scotland. It's actually quicker getting to mainland Europe by plane that it is to some parts of the UK by train. Going by ferry between some locations takes an entire day. By plane, it's just an hour.

It's the same in the USA. You could take a Caltrain to get betwen SF and LA, and it would take a day or more. By jet, it's just an hour.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Tell China that.

It's 20 posts long!

I already said, I'm not impressed or thrilled to travel that fast.

Only thing needs to haul ass like that, are munitions.

I'll wait till you guys work out all the bugs.

Like stopping.

I always liked the idea of converting old ICBM's into rapid transportation pods. Replace the warhead with a capsule with parachute and a couple of chairs, and you get anywhere within 4 minutes.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 04:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: buckwhizzle
How about Elon pave all the roads in my town first,let’s start small.

Isn't that your Governments Job?

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

If they pushed NASA out of their way, they'd probably accomplish much more.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 05:58 AM
link   
For all of you that, for some reason, have this feeling that NASA is a waste, you have no idea how wrong you are. Take a look at what they've done over the last 50 years. None if it would have been possible for a profit making venture. NASA has some of the greatest minds that could care less about making huge profits. Their jobs are to do the impossible. It's thanks to them (and your tax money) that the technology exists today to make rocket launching something that the private sector can do.

Get real people. Musk is not the messiah.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 06:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti
For all of you that, for some reason, have this feeling that NASA is a waste, you have no idea how wrong you are. Take a look at what they've done over the last 50 years. None if it would have been possible for a profit making venture. NASA has some of the greatest minds that could care less about making huge profits. Their jobs are to do the impossible. It's thanks to them (and your tax money) that the technology exists today to make rocket launching something that the private sector can do.

Get real people. Musk is not the messiah.

I doubt highly that anyone thinks Musk is the messiah. That would be ridiculous.

What I do think is that people are out of the loop when it comes to NASA and the BILLIONS poured into it. WTF did it all go? I know you probably think everything NASA does is GOD like but in reality that would be wrong. SpaceX steps in with Musk and does it at a fraction of the cost, and IT WORKED!

Millions of people that watched will attest to it. This is only the beginning of greater things. And hey you know what, this will probably push NASA to be more TRANSPARENT with it's DONORS - The American Patrons who have funded their activities for the past what 50 yrs or so?
edit on 4-3-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I really didn't want to work this hard on a Sunday morning but here goes.

"WTF did it all go?"

Did they not teach this in school? Do you think that rockets and space exploration came out of nowhere? Have you ever read up on what it took to understand how to get an object out of our atmosphere? How to keep something in orbit? How to communicate with it once it's up there? You can thank NASA and Russia for that. By the way, their missions weren't humanitarian, they were political. Read this: Space Launch Market Competition (Wikipedia)

One of the key paragraphs is this:

Non-military commercial satellites began to be launched in volume in the 1970s and 1980s, but launch services were supplied exclusively with launch vehicles that had been originally developed for the various Cold War military programs, with attendant cost structures.

It was our very own government that realized launching commercial satellites wasn't sustainable.

DARPA's Simon P. Worden and USAF's Jess Sponable analyzed the situation in 2006 and offered that "One bright point is the emerging private sector, which [was then] pursuing suborbital or small lift capabilities." They concluded "Although such vehicles support very limited US Department of Defense or National Aeronautics and Space Administration spaceflight needs, they do offer potential technology demonstration stepping stones to more capable systems needed in the future."; demonstrating capabilities that would grow in the next five years while supporting published list prices substantially below the rates on offer by the national providers.

Then there's this Commercial Orbital Transportation Services (COTS). You see, it was NASA that wanted to get the commercial rocket launches going. From the link above:

Soon after Mike Griffin became the new NASA Administrator in 2005, he challenged U.S. private industry to develop cargo and eventually crew space transportation capabilities that could meet the needs of ISS. The Administrator allocated $500 million over five years to stimulate the development and demonstration of commercial capabilities and fenced the funds. COTS could thus be started quickly and NASA stood by its funding commitment made in the COTS announcement.

I could go on quoting stuff but what's the point. All I'm saying is, don't believe for a minute that NASA is or has been useless. We are just now at the point where there's room for something else. It isn't NASA that's afraid of Space-X's success. It's United Space Alliance, Blue Origin and a host of others including a lot of foreign competition.

posted on Mar, 4 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   
In the early days of the automobile and steam train, the private sector were involved. Everyone from commercial companies to backyard inventors were tinkering about improvements that could be made. These led to innovations like V shaped engines, the carburretor, The unfortunate thing was that many weren't trained engineers and didn't follow basic safety precautions, so car engineers ended up blowing themselves up or being burnt. Steam engines weren't that safe either. Boilers would blow up. Even politicians ended up being run over by steam trains because doors didn't lock.

Either way, space transport development is going to be done by those organisations with enough money to pay for the security of restricted materials, launch pads and safety equipment.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join