It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Direction, future of US solar panel industry in conflict after Trump's tariffs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   

“China was cheating, China was dumping, China had subsidies from the government,” he says. “Over 30 (American) manufacturers in the last five years have had to step out of the market because of dumping subsidized products in the United States.”

The two remaining American manufacturers, SolarWorld Americas and Suniva, both filed for bankruptcy and testified last fall before the bipartisan International Trade Commission, which unanimously recommended tariffs be imposed.

While signing his executive order Trump warned other nations: “Our companies will not be taken advantage of anymore, and our workers are going to have lots of really great jobs with products that are going to be made right here in the good old U.S.A.”

Direction, future of US solar panel industry in conflict after Trump's tariffs

This is from Fox news. I think the article's title is somewhat misleading. This hurts the companies that were installing solar panels on everyone's roofs and selling the power back to their residents, because those companies relied on cheap imported Chinese solar panels up until now.

The tariffs will last four years, beginning at 30 percent in the first year, reduced annually until they hit 15 percent in the fourth year.

Stein says SolarWorld started rehiring workers and increasing output after the ITC’s ruling: “We are at the moment about 50 percent of our capacity and we want to ramp further and bring people back to work.”

A little protectionism can be a good thing sometimes. Like in this case, giving domestic solar manufacturers a leg to stand on. They were all going bankrupt not too long ago, because they couldn't compete with low price imported solar panels. Now they're back in business. Also:

China’s largest solar panel manufacturer, Jinko Solar, has announced it now plans for the first time to build a plant in Jacksonville, Florida.

Plenty more in the article to ponder. What do you think?
edit on 2-3-2018 by TheBadCabbie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBadCabbie

My first question would be, did the cost of the panels go up for the consumer?

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   

It's a two way crunch, to be sure:

The new schedule will make them pay much more for the electricity they draw from the grid in the evening, while paying those customers less for the excess power their solar panels send back to the grid on sunny summer days.

www.nytimes.com...

Best folks can hope for is find ways to be sufficient off grid through varying means. Solar/wind/hydro. Once we can get homes self sustaining, then we can work on blocks, neighborhoods and so on.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   

That is interesting news.
In Florida the 2 planned 1117 megawatt nuclear reactors for Levy County have not been built.
If solar cell panels get too expensive they could build a large mirror based solar plant in Florida but there are weather issues in tropical climates those kinds of plants don't face out in the desert installations.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Couple that with decreased regs and lower corp tax rates, it makes sense that it's a good thing all around.

Start up companies can compete or overseas companies can open up in the US.

Creating jobs and more demand for the products.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBadCabbie
Plenty more in the article to ponder. What do you think?

We will see what the future holds.
The one hope I had for Trump was to get a bit tough on China and their economic practices. They are basically a 1st world country with 3rd world slave labor and a strongarm over the resources allowing for a breakdown of the global economy...so if this all works out, then great...but we will need economists to weigh in here as this is a very complex field that armchair quarterbacks will only speak ignorantly on.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Sorry but it's funny when some say there are slave wages in China.

They have a huge middle class.

They swarm HK every weekend with luggage to fill with products.

Spending big money, I see their shopping carts full of stuff.

I see bentley's and tesla's and everything else with mainland plates.

The Rolls are the bomb tho. Sweet!

I live in the corner of nowhere and still have a ferrari in my parking lot.

That's why prices are so high here and laws are being implemented to counter their influence.

Imagine if Mexico was rich, or better yet, tru story, Cali started buying up Colorado from the Texans in the 90's, for real.

Drove up prices all over the economic map.

We could deal with the texans. Good peoples.

Mainland Chinese are like people that just won the powerball lottery.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   
One of the greatest tricks the global elites ever pulled was tricking us, the people, into believing that 'free' electricity is not a viable idea.

Right from the start with the destruction of Tesla by Morgan and chums and continuing on to this very day with the open contempt shown for such things as the solar power industry.

They're not even subtle about shutting this # down are they.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   
These new tariffs are the smartest spiritual move the usa has taken in decades.

No longer will we be spiritually polluted by the foreign powers.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
These new tariffs are the smartest spiritual move the usa has taken in decades.

No longer will we be spiritually polluted by the foreign powers.

What? What do Tariffs have to do with spirituality

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Trade wars are beginning.
Cannot see how that has any spiritual connection....

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Tariffs and trade wars arent always a good thing

Eighty four years ago on this day President Hoover signed the now-infamous Smoot-Hawley tariff bill, which substantially raised U.S. tariffs on some 890 products. Other countries retaliated and world trade shrank enormously; by the end of 1934 world trade had plummeted some 66 percent from the 1929 level.

The Tariff Act of 1930 (aka the Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act), started out as a bill that would only raise tariffs on some agricultural products, but a host of other special interests piled on and before the legislation finally reached President Hoover’s desk it represented one of the largest tariff increases in U.S. history.

Two years later unemployment had reached almost 24 percent in the U.S., more than 5000 banks had failed, and hundreds of thousands were homeless and living in shanty towns called “Hoovervilles”. Our economic woes spread around the world, although other countries weren’t hit as hard; while our unemployment rate increased some 600%, unemployment in Great Britain rose some 130% and over 200% in France and Germany.

This had devastating affects on the US, and this was at a time when we actually PRODUCED a lot of goods. We DO NOT produce like we use to.

people really need to look at history and where we are economically and with our own production and consumption before bandwagonning this.

Today, the Smoot-Hawley tariffs represent a cautionary tale. Regardless of whether they were the major cause of the Great Depression or not, they definitely were a truly terrible idea. In today’s world where Central Banks have been pumping out liquidity and inflating stocks, similar to the case in the 1920s, we must hope that we don’t repeat the mistake of Smoot-Hawley.

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it
edit on 5-3-2018 by SailorJerry because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: SailorJerry

Trump really like to stir crap up. It'll be interesting to see what all these new tariffs are going to do globally.....hoping it doesn't mess up the economy too badly.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

Trump really like to stir crap up. It'll be interesting to see what all these new tariffs are going to do globally.....hoping it doesn't mess up the economy too badly.

I am hoping you are right as well, hell I hope Trump is right and it does great things for our economy.

Its just that history doesnt bare that evidence out, and thats concerning

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy
Sorry but it's funny when some say there are slave wages in China.

They have a huge middle class.

They swarm HK every weekend with luggage to fill with products.

Spending big money, I see their shopping carts full of stuff.

I see bentley's and tesla's and everything else with mainland plates.

The Rolls are the bomb tho. Sweet!

I live in the corner of nowhere and still have a ferrari in my parking lot.

That's why prices are so high here and laws are being implemented to counter their influence.

Imagine if Mexico was rich, or better yet, tru story, Cali started buying up Colorado from the Texans in the 90's, for real.

Drove up prices all over the economic map.

We could deal with the texans. Good peoples.

Mainland Chinese are like people that just won the powerball lottery.

I don't think you're describing the middle class. I agree, a lot of them have become wealthy but it's like everywhere else, it happens only to a fraction of the population. There are 1.3 billion people in China. I'm sure the Bentleys and Teslas you see with mainland plates in Hong Kong are not the factory workers.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

the connections exist but are unseen

its is kinda like how the japanese sword makers use certain metals even though other metals with same qualities are within reach

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

we are effected by everything around us and everything around us has its place

you can be taken advantage of in many ways

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit
As idiotic as Trump's policies are, the economic fallout is really the least of the worries.

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

You're probably very right about that.....

posted on Mar, 5 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: SailorJerry
Tariffs and trade wars arent always a good thing

This had devastating affects on the US, and this was at a time when we actually PRODUCED a lot of goods. We DO NOT produce like we use to.

people really need to look at history and where we are economically and with our own production and consumption before bandwagonning this.

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it

We actually had a positive surplus in trade Balance in the 20's and 30's. So a trade war was not particularly helpful to US industries across the board.

We are no longer at that point. Foreign economies need our export market more than we need theirs. We can buy plastic toys from a dozen countries who would be thrilled to sell here. It doesn't have to be China. That's a simplistic example, but we are shipping out lots of hard currency to many nations and boosting their economies while strangling our own industries. It doesn't make sense. It's no wonder other countries are upset. They want/need our market.
China and the EU threw hissy fits about trade war threats under Obama, too, but the press simply didn't try to exaggerate it into the nest apocalyptic crisis for political points like they are doing now.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join