It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aldi Grocery Stores something odd

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Doxanoxa

I lived in both Germany and Belgium and I can assure you the stores are not the same in the US. And regardless of popular belief they are not all GMO free here yet either, although that gets spouted off a lot. Just take a look at their website, it even show that certain foods are GMO.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: hunterTheory
The reason for the quarter in the cart is not because of cart thieves but rather cost/ employee reduction. They don’t hire employees to return carts.
reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Isn't a quarter like only 25 cents?

Seriously, not trying to sound arrogant here... But wouldn't just about anyone on planet earth happily cede 25 cents to not have to go though the hassle of returning a shopping trolley to its designated spot?

I usually always return the shopping trolley to where its supposed to be, since I feel its just etiquette... But if they where attempting to force me to with a 25 cent ransom... I think I'd be more likely to just leave the shopping trolley in the middle of the parking lot, out of pure spite!

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
So I've been cooking a loooong time, gardening a long time, and have an above average knowledge of different foods from around the world. I can taste tell most organic foods from non organic and have above average sense of smell.

We have these stores called Aldi, it is super discount, no frills type of grocery store. I don't know what it is, but the few times I have shopped there it seems like something is wrong with the food, it is hard for me to explain, but if I had to put it in words, their food has no life source to it, it seems dead. I can't even explain it, even Walmart grocery seems to be better. The food looks fine, it looks fresh, there isn't anything cosmetically wrong with it. Here is the conspiracy twist to it, this is generally sold to lower income and/or elderly folks. Sure there are others that shop there, but I'm talking about generally who they cater to. Of course i'd love to shop there and save money, but my intuition just tells me no.

Anyone else have experience with this place?

We have an Aldi's here, too. For the most part, the fruit and veggies aren't bad. Quality wise, they usually seem to be on the same level as Walmart (yeah, yeah, I know...), Piggly Wiggly and Woodman's, but sometimes their produce seems like seconds, or not quite Grade A.
edit on 3/2/2018 by Cheddarhead because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan

So I've been cooking a loooong time, gardening a long time, and have an above average knowledge of different foods from around the world. I can taste tell most organic foods from non organic and have above average sense of smell.

We have these stores called Aldi, it is super discount, no frills type of grocery store. I don't know what it is, but the few times I have shopped there it seems like something is wrong with the food, it is hard for me to explain, but if I had to put it in words, their food has no life source to it, it seems dead. I can't even explain it, even Walmart grocery seems to be better. The food looks fine, it looks fresh, there isn't anything cosmetically wrong with it. Here is the conspiracy twist to it, this is generally sold to lower income and/or elderly folks. Sure there are others that shop there, but I'm talking about generally who they cater to. Of course i'd love to shop there and save money, but my intuition just tells me no.

We shop at Aldi sometimes. It's the supermarket equivalent of a dollar store: everything is the absolute cheapest they can get. There are few if any nationally-recognized brand names. They have no bags; you are expected to bring your own. The shopping carts are chained together, and you have to insert a quarter into a little slot to unlock one. You get the quarter back when you return the cart. This is probably a sensible precaution in low-income areas, but it seems rather out-of-place in the quiet suburban area where the Aldi near me is located.

The cart thing makes sense in suburbia, because it isn't mainly about loss of carts.
If each shopper brings the cart back to the storage area to get their quarter back, it means that Aldi doesn't have to pay an employee to wrangle carts in the parking lot.
I like that there are no carts rolling around the parking lot preventing me from parking in the space I want or hitting my car.
The Aldis that I shop at have bags at every checkout. They sell them, which encourages people to bring their own reusable bags.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

Yep.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Yeah, I didn't know I needed a quarter to get a cart on my first trip there and I needed that cart! I only use my debit card and hate, HATE change in my pocket and I didn't have my car with me because I was took a work van. So I stood out front asking people for a quarter until I got one. I gave it back to them when I was done.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

originally posted by: hunterTheory
The reason for the quarter in the cart is not because of cart thieves but rather cost/ employee reduction. They don’t hire employees to return carts.
reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Isn't a quarter like only 25 cents?

Seriously, not trying to sound arrogant here... But wouldn't just about anyone on planet earth happily cede 25 cents to not have to go though the hassle of returning a shopping trolley to its designated spot?

I usually always return the shopping trolley to where its supposed to be, since I feel its just etiquette... But if they where attempting to force me to with a 25 cent ransom... I think I'd be more likely to just leave the shopping trolley in the middle of the parking lot, out of pure spite!

Eh, then another Aldi shopper would grab that cart, use it, and then pocket the .25¢ when they return it. Twenty-five cents for using a cart? You can't beat that!

No reason for you to feel like you sound arrogant. I think the system probably works well for Aldi.

edit on 3/2/2018 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I agree with the op.

Specifically when it comes to fruit and veg.
Totally uninspriring and tasteless. I would guess they are buying things right near the end of the life cycle, hence the cost.

I do like their 30 day matured beef joints though, those are as good as anything I got from wholefoods, but at a fraction of the cost.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Never been there sounds like an adventure.

There some Asian market H Mart...

Holy crap.. IDK wtf that rotten smell be but yeah..

Very crappy looking produce there, I expected higher quality than walmarto.

Guess I'm stuck at King Soopers.

Hmmm this article says they teamed up with Khols, guess I can now get discount food there? Whaaaaaaaaa?

fortune.com...
edit on 2-3-2018 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: dothedew
I love me some Aldi's!

They started over in Germany, and are one of the leading grocery chains in Europe, with stores constantly opening in the states.

They're looked at as a discount store for multiple reasons:
1. They make you use a quarter as collateral for a shopping cart - This allows them to save an hourly wage for cart getters.
2. They make you either bring or buy your own bags, saving them tons of money on handing those out for free.
3. They primarily sell the off brand foods - The same products that are labeled "Great Value" and such. The majority (roughly 65% of the store brand items come form the same company, so quality wise you're about even.

all of this mixed with cashiers that also stock the shelves and clean, equal massive discounts on food, and are actually on par with bulk food costs from places like Gordon food services.

That being said, just as with the other grocery chains and their "store" brands, I always stay away from the produce and certain meats. It doesn't seem to be as much (*price per ounce) as actual name brands, and tend to be of lesser quality.

They do the same in the UK with the shopping carts. French supermarkets do this as well. But you can get a plastic or metal token which does the same thing.

Some foods (particularly bread) I have noticed as having no nutritional value. Just didn't fill me up or give me energy. Some breads are very light because they've had more bicarbonate added during baking to make the dough bubbles larger. Other brands make heavy use of Soya flour - that's been the biggest difference for me.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   
The one we have near me is wonderful! You may not find everything you want or need, but the food is great and the prices are as well. No complaints here.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Maybe I'll have to give them another try.
Now that I read a bit about them, including osme of th posts in this thread.

I am picky about certain things, not so much on others....for example I only buy BUSH's garbanzo beans.....no othere will do.

I also found that Aldi's and Trader Joe's are related.

FWIW, some of Trader Joe stuff is over rated...and I will NOT buy meat there.....Chicken in not good at all, and the rest doesn't inspire me, but then we use a local butcher.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I love Aldis! Trader Joe's which sells a lot of health foods is owned by the same company. The only thing I've noticed is their fruit seems like it's frozen, not fresh. One thing they sell there that I find delicious is their vacuum packaged marinated turkey. If you haven't tried it, you'll be surprised how tasty and tender it is!

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I love Aldi! And have been pleased with nearly everything I get there, including (mostly) produce. I don’t shop there as regularly since I moved a little further away, but I’ll still head over there once every couple of weeks.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   

You do realize that aldi source its fruit and veg locally? At least it is here in oz, i would be surprised if it were different where you live .

Perhaps it's simply the local food production that is the culprit and not aldi themselves.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
a reply to: JAGStorm

I love Aldis! Trader Joe's which sells a lot of health foods is owned by the same company. The only thing I've noticed is their fruit seems like it's frozen, not fresh. One thing they sell there that I find delicious is their vacuum packaged marinated turkey. If you haven't tried it, you'll be surprised how tasty and tender it is!

I love ALDI's spiral hams, when they're in season. But the O.P. is right. Many of the meat items taste "weird".

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   
We have Aldi's here. I know what you mean: there's just kind of a dead vibe there. I didn't notice it with the food in particular, but everything in general. I go to other "discount" grocery stores; we have Shoppers here and it's not the same vibe (and, the Shoppers here have THE BEST bear claws on the planet! I'll shop there just for the bear claws). So, I'm agreeing with you. Something off there.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Maybe the veggies are depressed?

They have feelings too. If you are a child of the 60-70's you know what I'm talking about.

I always buy happy looking veggies at the wet market.

They come in bulk and not shrink wrapped.

Only ones I get in a pkg are little mushrooms from Korea or the Haricot Verts but I open the pak when I get home.

Same with dirt covered root veggies. Big pile of them looking not happy at all, dull and dirty. No colors.

Some vendors take the time to clean them up and that's where I buy.

Sounds sarcastic? It's not.

I know asian wet markets are way diff than a western supermarket, but....

Look into their suppliers.

How are they being treated?

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

In Australia we have aldi stores too that lock up their trolleys but so do all the other big super markets like coles, woolworths, big w, kmart etc.

I believe aldi stores are able to sell things cheap because they produce or own the distribution centres and all that jazz.

They also pay their staff above wages and they get to sit down whilst working at the check out.

Some things taste better and others don't. I think it all comes down on personal preference.

At the same time if you buy a frozen pizza from aldi or buy a frozen pizza from coles at the end of the day its a frozen pizza so it's bad for you.

As for their produce it all seems as fresh as coles or another big supermarket chain.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Yes, We also have the brother shop LIDL, Fruit and veg are perfectly fresh as is the meat and poultry, Excellent selection and a lot easier on the wallet than the large super markets. They keep the costs down by keeping the staff numbers to a minimum. They also pay their employees better than the larger super markets, A lot better, but they do work for it.

ALDI nd LIDL more or less deal with local suppliers to a point. Obviously Scotland doesn't grow bananas or oranges pinapples etc. Excellent place to shop. In fact since they opened i've very rarely set foot in the likes of ASDA, Morrisons, Tesco Sainsburies etc etc.... way over priced.

BTW, My brother in law works for a company who supply to the larger chains i've just mentioned. What you say about ALDI he says the exact same and worse about the larger chains.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join