It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Central Michigan University shooting breaks out, ALL schools in city on lockdown

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: namehere
really? locking down ALL schools in the whole city? this kind of mass hysteria and panic is dangerous and making things seem worse than it actually is, it smells of a ploy to destroy peoples rights by instigating unnecessary fear in people and causing panic.

It’s a small town. The schools are all pretty close to each other. The suspect was seen in an area near my children’s school. Your goddamn right they should be locked down. It’s not mass hysteria, it’s common sense.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

Your fine, people are way too easily triggered these days. I ubderstood exactly what you were saying with out getting my choneez in a bunch.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Any shooting, anywhere, is always bad and something that sadly we are hearing about more and more these days. I'm not going to go into a rant about guns. We've had that disscussion too many times over the last few weeks.
I feel for anyone involved in this type of incident.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: rhynouk
that sadly we are hearing about more and more these days.

You are correct about that.
We hear a lot more, but the gun homicide rate is lower than it was 15-20 years ago.
edit on 2/3/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Is it really happening more often, or are we hearing it reported more now a days because of all the 24 hours news channels, the smart phones and all the social media apps that allow first hand information to get out as its happening.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: cosmickat
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I don't have blinkers on..and am not that emotional.
If you like though..I can agree that I msybe have a different outlook on life in general..in that kids shooting other kids will never...be run of the mill to me. Don't make any apologies for that ideology. But if it brings you any comfort to make up scenarios about me in your head..go on with it

And, in this case, (and the previous FL one), a "kid" was not at the trigger. When we use facts such as anyone that is 18 years old is legally an adult and not longer a "kid" then we can have an intelligent conversation. But to classify a 19 year old person as a "kid" clearly shows your bias and appeal to emotion that so often closes off all discussion.

Please, let's stop this "kid" nonsense in reference to legal adults. It only perpetuates the false narrative of taking guns away from kids. At this point, we do not know the reasoning behind the shooting. We know this person did NOT go on a shooting rampage on campus but left immediately after killing his targets.

So all indicators to this point lead to the very high probability this was a domestic incident only, that happened to take place in a dorm on a college campus. So if it is against the law to carry a weapon onto a school campus, why did this incident happen? After all, it is posted, so it makes it safe, right?

Please let's look at the ignorance that a sign with words on it will deter a killer from committing murder if they are so determined to do there. Fact is, a person intent on committing murder will not adhere to any laws that stand in their way.

Surprise, criminals act in a criminal manner. EPIPHANY!!

edit on 3/2/2018 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: jtrenthacker

really? locking down ALL schools in the whole city? this kind of mass hysteria and panic is dangerous and making things seem worse than it actually is, it smells of a ploy to destroy peoples rights by instigating unnecessary fear in people and causing panic.

It’s a small town. The schools are all pretty close to each other. The suspect was seen in an area near my children’s school. Your goddamn right they should be locked down. It’s not mass hysteria, it’s common sense.

well sure the ones nearby should have been locked down but all 17 schools in the city is a bit much but i would rather see a bit much than loose anymore lives???

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Is it really happening more often, or are we hearing it reported more now a days because of all the 24 hours news channels, the smart phones and all the social media apps that allow first hand information to get out as its happening.

I think the rate is falling... by a lot (almost half of what it was in the 90's I believe). Not checked but I remember seeing something on it a while back. Maybe someone can post a trend.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   

a reply to: SlapMonkey

I don't have blinkers on..and am not that emotional.
If you like though..I can agree that I msybe have a different outlook on life in general..in that kids shooting other kids will never...be run of the mill to me. Don't make any apologies for that ideology. But if it brings you any comfort to make up scenarios about me in your head..go on with it

So, you're disregarding what I said about WHY it can be considered a run-of-the-mill (meaning that 0.003125% of society that uses guns to shoot people...not exactly an epidemic, statistically speaking) and just want to defend yourself with a what-about-the-kids response? That's poor form, but sadly, run-of-the-mill form for discussions like this.

I haven't made anything up about you, you reinforced by point in your response to me.

And to be intellectually honest, these weren't kids who were killed--the shooter (a student) was the son of the two parents that he shot dead on school property, according to "local reports."

So, what about "kids shooting other kids" relates to this story at this point?

Oh, nothing, but if it brings you comfort to make up scenarios surrounding this incident in your head..go on with it.

Did you even read the link in the OP?

ETA:

It's worth reminding you that a 19-year-old is an adult, not a kid.

Also, CBS News is claiming that a pistol was used--just a bit more info to throw out there.

edit on 2-3-2018 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

All violence is down over those decades.. something that is forgotten evertime a cop blows away an unarmed citizen..

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: cosmickat

top 5 that kill more people then fire arms every year. 1 Cars, 2 Alcohol, 3 Tobacco, 4 Medical Malpractice, 5 Government.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

life happens and making a big fuss over every bad thing you hear will drive you mad, you say things like this yet is being a prisoner to fear worth it? will it stop human nature? eventually you have to accept that you can't let negative emotions run your life.

emotions are why constitutions exist, because people tend to use emotions to repress others and logic like yours is dangerous to a free state. you might be happy in your police state which you believe to be free but i rather feel some danger in my freedom and be prepared than believe some naive delusion about humanity and my country being some bastion of benevolence and peace where nothing bad will ever happen and leaving everything up to someone else.

start with yourself before worrying about others lest you forget your way of life and become a prisoner without ever realizing it.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

a reply to: notsure1

Yeah..guess you are right. Another two kids get shot to death. No biggie

As long as there are gun free zones, then there is no stopping this sort of thing. It is common sense.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Non official and official updates are saying this is a domestic situation-not dismissing there is still a risk of more violence. He shot his parents who were picking him up for Spring Break. Killer is still at large.

Sending regaurds
edit on 2-3-2018 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: howtonhawky

run of the mill hunger does not hold as much weight as run of the mill shooting

"run of the mill" is an extremely poor choice of words, but I then need to wondered how many lives would we save each year if we lowered all speed signs to 35 MPH. Ya kind of inconvenient, but think of the lives saved!!! Well if we were actually serious about saving lives that is...

Ummm...35mph...?

What the hell am I supposed to do with my 200 plus mph motorcycle...It idles faster than that...

Sheesh...

YouSir

edit on 2-3-2018 by YouSir because: of those wayward comma's...

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   

a reply to: pavil

I was not commenting on the details of the incident but the flippant disregard for human life..an indicator ( imho ) of the insensitive reaction that society has for the value of a life..or in this case two lives.
" A run of the mill " shooting....as in... not even worth a second glance, only another two kids dead in a university. Like it is just routine.....no sense in a reaction..jeez happens here all the time...why are you even shocked this is run of the mill....shooter didn't take out enough victims in one go to make the " mass killer's " hall of fame kinda deal !
Society is sick ..it's terminal.

I'm assuming that poster was referring to black on black crime, which is a "run of the mill shooting", just look at the statistics. Only people living in fantasy land think any differently.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   

It does seem an overreacting of the event. There was no indication of the shooter threatening other schools with attacks and this attack didn't target any students even.

The Police didn't want to be compared to the Broward Police Department and their fantastic leadership I'm sure

All it did is was make everyone scared. Mission Accomplished.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

Let the fear campaign and bickering begin.

It's a shame it takes so many mass shootings for politicians to act, in Australia it took just one mass shooting before the government made a stand.

In my personal opinion citizens should only be allowed bolt action rifles, certain types of shotguns and pistols-there is no need for weapons of war to be in the family home. With BAR's you can hunt game, with pistols and shotguns you can protect your family.

I don't get the Charlton Hestons-sure it's nice to own a gun, but why assault rifles? there are these little things called paintball guns-automatic, less deadly, and doesn't make you look like you are overcompensating. Sure some guns are sweet but these military style rifles should never ever be available to anyone outside of the military, and that should extend to SMG's.

edit on 2-3-2018 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

who owns SMG's or assault weapons?

Look up the liscensing required to own those types of weapons its expensive, time consuming and in most states you cant legally shoot them anyways except for once or twice a year when you pay more money to go to a certain area to shoot your toy!

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
a reply to: howtonhawky

Let the fear campaign and bickering begin.

It's a shame it takes so many mass shootings for politicians to act, in Australia it took just one mass shooting before the government made a stand.

In my personal opinion citizens should only be allowed bolt action rifles, certain types of shotguns and pistols-there is no need for weapons of war to be in the family home. With BAR's you can hunt game, with pistols and shotguns you can protect your family.

I don't get the Charlton Hestons-sure it's nice to own a gun, but why assault rifles? there are these little things called paintball guns-automatic, less deadly, and doesn't make you look like you are overcompensating. Sure some guns are sweet but these military style rifles should never ever be available to anyone outside of the military, and that should extend to SMG's.

Pistols make up for something like 90% of the gun deaths in America.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join