It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart and two other companies raise age limit for buying Guns

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Wots u gone do bowt da gun showz?

edit on 2-3-2018 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   
This thread is a microcosm of the debate and why its so problematic.
People do not understand the concepts and ideas that they are forming opinions on.

Lets start with rights.
The government does not grant us rights. We have them because we are human. We create governments to become a means of guarding, preserving and protecting our rights. We create them to provide neutral arbitration where our individual rights bump into the individual rights of another.
In the course of time governments can become an unchained creature. A faceless entity that assumes powers and "rights" that it does not philosophically have , but due to its physical power it practically has.
It is to combat this assumption of power, that the people have the right to bear arms in their defense. This was codified in the 2nd amendment to the US constitution. The Bill of rights is not a list of rights that the people have. Its a list of limitations on the governments power. A list to keep the chain on the government.

The people must always be on guard for the governments attempts to slip its bounds. We must be ever watchful of its intentions and constantly willing to check its actions. If we do not it WILL overpower us. Government is even more dangerous when it is actively aided in its attempts to gain power by individuals who wish to control that power for corrupt and lets just call it evil purposes.
For the last 100 years there has been more than one group of people who wish to grow the power of government to its most terrible conclusion. They wish to crush the common citizen and forever make him subservient to that government monster.
In that light we must examine what has been done to the idea of adulthood.

My great grand parents were born in the early 1900's (My maternal grandmothers parents). They married when they were 17 and 16 respectively. They rented a small home and went to work in the local mill until they raised the funds to purchase their first home with land to farm. They eventually built this into a large commercial chicken farm. Their daughter married her boyfriend when he came home from WW2, they were 18 and 17 and went on to raise a family. This included my mother who married my father when he was 19 and she was 17. I was born 9 months later.
That was 44 years ago. That was the norm in the US during that 75 years of time. What was also normal was for kids to have access to guns. Guns were prolific. Guns were in schools. There were a few so called "mass" shootings but it was really rare and people understood that sometimes a person could go crazy and do something terrible. It was not a reason to change everyone's lives. What we also had in this time were institutions. We had the Scouts. We had the rotary club, we had the JayCees, we had the Masons, we had the Elks, the VFW, the American Legion, the Shriners. Boys clubs, Girls clubs, heck the Mickey Mouse club. Everyone belonged to something, even if it was just your local church. We were part of our communities and we understood what respect was, what was right and what was wrong.

Over the last 44 years all that has been destroyed.
The institutions were called offensive or old fashioned. They were not cool, they were dismantled to be more "inclusive". The families were destroyed. When I was born and all through my time in school I knew exactly ONE person who's parents had been divorced. The families shrank. My grandfather had 12 brothers and sisters. My mom had 3. I have a brother but I only have 1 child because we could not afford to have two.
Our boys are deemed to be broken...just because they are boys, and the education system demands that they be medicated with powerful drugs that have an unknown effect.
This is what they have done.
They have destroyed the underpinning of our society. They have removed the morality that held people together and prevented people from acting out on their most animal urges.
They have pushed and pushed the idea that you cant be responsible for your actions when you are a child (and therefore someone has to take care of you). Now they want to push the definition of when "childhood" ends well into the mid 20's. Since parents are not around guess it will have to be the government that acts as your mom and dad.
Well history says that's only a recent idea. It cant be accurate. It cant be backed up by anything other than someone pushing an agenda and skewing their evidence. Our society has lasted for generations without this level of government control and history tells us that when governments gain this level of control its ends in mass bloodshed.

They are doing this for a reason, and you are falling for it.
this debate REALLY is not about guns. Its about who owns you and who is responsible for you. Its about who you think deserves to control you. Is it YOU or is it Them? The only way you can maintain that control is if there remains a bulwark to check the monster. The most effective bulwark is a population that is armed and willing.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   

good i can send my 18 year old neighbor to go buy a rifle and video and when they refuse sue them for violating state laws and violating my friends second amendment rights.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
If there is going to be an age limit for exercising a right, then voting should be done at 21.

N'est ce pas?

We should be consistent. If you need to be 21 to buy a gun, then:

21 to vote
21 to drive
21 to drink & smoke
21 to sign contracts
21 to join military
21 to be considered an adult for prosecution

You can't say someone is mature enough at 18 to be an "adult" been not treat them as one.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

21 to have an abortion.

21 for gender reassignment surgery.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

21 to have an abortion.

Didn't I just read a post from you complaining about dems wanting to take away freedoms?

hahahah now you are all about nanny DB.

Actually, dems ARE the New conservatives. We would like to conserve our country and our constitution, additionally improving it when needed.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

?

So you are against the age increase for purchasing firearms?

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Of course not, and that wasn't my point. It's just that talking out of both sides of the mouth seems to be contagious, since dear leader was elected.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

Of course not, and that wasn't my point. It's just that talking out of both sides of the mouth seems to be contagious, since dear leader was elected.

I think it merits an honest discussion.

We say that someone at 15 is old enough to determine gender reassignment surgery, yet we won't allow the same person to purchase, beer, a lottery ticket or a gun.

We call people "adults" at 18, yet determine that 21 is an appropriate age.

We try people as adults at 18, but they can't even adult yet.

People can vote at 18, they are mature enough for that, but they aren't mature enough to buy a gun?

The inconsistancy is astounding!

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   
You forgot "enter into a contract" (like a student loan) and understand the consequences (such as responsibly paying it back). Seems like we are delaying adulthood longer and longer these days. Because.......feelings.

SMH

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   

21 to have an abortion.

These are the two things I was referring to.

I agree age designations are a little odd sometimes, but these two things are very personal, and have no justification for political intervention. Whatsoever. Other than a cut-off date for abortions. I would not agree with late-term abortions. The rest of it is nobody's business but the individual, their families, and their doctor's.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Just to put it in perspective, most of the attendees at Woodstock could not vote but didn’t have to pass a background check to buy a gun, despite all the pot and brown acid consumed.

Forty eight and half years later, just the opposite holds true.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll
It's a question of maturity.

Laws are basically saying that people are mature enough to make some decisions but not others.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Some of us actually work to ensure that when our kids are 18 they have had some time practicing adult life skills like managing money, work ethic, waking up to an alarm clock, impulse control/delayed gratification....

I can't say that I am a fan of the idea of changing age of consent as a response here. Its not fact based or logic driven.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Too bad it took so many hundreds of lives lost for business people to give a damn.

Too bad at age 17 with parental consent all they got to do is join the military and they'll get machine guns to go kill in the states name.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
So if I am 20 years old I am not mature enough for a gun but at 8 I can decide my gender or choose not to have one?

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   

21 to have an abortion.

21 for CNN Townhalls.

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

It further promotes inconsistency.

A "child" can stay on my insurance until the age of 26.

To argue that people aren't mature enough to do things at one age yet determine that people are mature enough for other decisions is madness!

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   

It does.

Abortion.

If you're under 18, you may or may not have to tell a parent in order to get an abortion — it all depends on the laws where you live.

www.plannedparenthood.org...

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   
If i were a teenager.

I'd be snipped.

Gets old with old people always telling you what your allowed to do.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join