It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart and two other companies raise age limit for buying Guns

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   
It's about damn time for this very common sense change to happen in our society. Too bad it took so many hundreds of lives lost for business people to give a damn. No, teenagers are not trustworthy with assault rifles, or any other weapons. Science has proven that young men are too emotional and impulsive well into their 20's to be responsible. I wonder why the legions of gun worshippers here haven't said a peep about this? I guess they're in mourning.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

I don't shop at Walmart. I don't shop at Dicks.

My local sporting goods store is not changing anything and I shop there and have for many years.

Science has proven that young men are too emotional and impulsive well into their 20's to be responsible.

Gold Stars? Perhaps they'll be denied entry into the armed forces?

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Democrats love dem somes gun controls. I personally worship God and guns, the kind of good Americans Obummer singled out. I must be doing something right, wonder how this will play out in Chicago or any other democrat led sh@thole??

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Hopefully state governments will follow business' lead on this (and only this issue) and large parts of the country will not make it easy for teens to buy guns.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Deny rights and mob mentality?

Sounds legit.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Well, in the military they are getting training that is pretty intense/regimented.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Is that a requirement for buying firearms?

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   
You ......arrrggg.....
An 18 year old can join the Army and rain down Hellfire missiles from an Apache helicopter on to brown-skinned minorities in some far-flung country but a 21 year old can't own a semi-automatic rifle. if you don't like the laws in America then by all means move to Australia or England or any other crap country you like. We'll hold down the fort here dodging bullets like the wild west thank you very much

edit on 3 1 2018 by dashen because: No guns for you commie

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   
It’s not just an age limit for Dick’s and Walmart

Walmart, the biggest gun seller, announced late in the afternoon that it would not sell any gun to anyone under 21 years of age. It also said it would no longer sell items resembling assault-style rifles, including toys and air guns.

Early in the day, Dick’s said it was immediately ending sales of all assault-style rifles in its stores. The retailer also said that it would no longer sell high-capacity magazines and would also require any gun buyer to be at least 21, regardless of local laws.

www.nytimes.com...
edit on 1-3-2018 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Anyways, I think it’s a move it the right direction. it’s a start.

If it stops one idiot from being the next shooter, it’s saved how many lives?

edit on 1-3-2018 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Maybe some basic training should be. I'm Canadian though, that's what happens here.. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with Walmart..just pointing out the obvious difference between an 18yr old walking in off the street to buy..vs an 18 year old who has undergone rigerous training and discipline.
I know my opinion means nothing(being non American).
edit on 1-3-2018 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-3-2018 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

I don't disagree actually. Education has been the cornerstone of my belief system following firearms as well. However, not all, including the law, share that sentiment.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   
It's great to see how thinking Americans are taking matters into their own hands, when the government fails us.

It reminds me of when trump pulled us out of the Paris Accord, and many American manufacturers said they would continue to follow the laws governing a clean environment!

I'm very happy to see this. Long live American common sense!

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
It's about damn time for this very common sense change to happen in our society. Too bad it took so many hundreds of lives lost for business people to give a damn. No, teenagers are not trustworthy with assault rifles, or any other weapons. Science has proven that young men are too emotional and impulsive well into their 20's to be responsible. I wonder why the legions of gun worshippers here haven't said a peep about this? I guess they're in mourning.

www.nytimes.com...

Can you name one mass shooting other than Parkland where the shooter was under 21 and purchased the firearm legally?
edit on 1-3-2018 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   
This is just virtue signaling to make people feel better even though there is no data other than the one incident that suggest it is even a problem.

You know what would save more lives? Raising driving age from 16 to 18...

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Businesses are allowed to operate as they wish so I don't care but as with video games and other forms of media there is always a loophole, a.k.a. parents buying them for their kids. This won't solve much but I do agree with the decision somewhat. Just as you don't sell alcohol to people until they're 21 you shouldn't sell them deadly weapons either.

Just my opinion, I know it's a subjective issue, as with all the issues waved in our faces these days.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
It's great to see how thinking Americans are taking matters into their own hands, when the government fails us.

It reminds me of when trump pulled us out of the Paris Accord, and many American manufacturers said they would continue to follow the laws governing a clean environment!

I'm very happy to see this. Long live American common sense!

The government failed us with gun free zones.

As far as common sense, let's make it 26 instead. Or maybe 30. What age makes you feel the fuzziest? 42?

We also need to peg this age standard to driving a vehicle. After all, more cars killing people then guns.

Cell phones as well... texting and driving kill more people then guns do, after all. No cell phones till 21!

Drinking age, cigarettes, voting! Needs pegged to the new norm of what an adult is. Most certainly the ability to join the military, volunteer for overseas missionary or charity work, get married. Age of consent needs to be moved to 21 ASAP... changing that law would fix a lot of things.

Doctors kill more people than cars and guns combined... perhaps we shouldn't let them practice till they are 42. Or 50?

You call this move common sense when any minor with cash can buy whatever weapon they want to do whatever they want, or just steal them from a family member and go.

Which brings me to what the government has really failed us all on... public schools the Department of Education in the first place.

That this should even be a conversation just shows how far we as a country has fallen.

So celebrate that, I guess.
edit on 1-3-2018 by Lumenari because: typo

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I read your opinion.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   
You know, as a gun toting Canadian I find it sad that guns are at the center if this issue. I also find it ridiculous that people think buying an AR-15ish at walmart is ok. Don't people just have gunfights in the parking lot? In Vancouver they would, and in London. But they don't, at least not outside of the the US. Believe me! I am perfectly capable of defending my property without the need of a shiny glock or dusty AK. But if I wanted to have one, I could! I would just have to prove to my peers that I was a responsible adult first. The fact that some of my fellow gun owners feel that there special cousin Festus who can't see straight should have a freekin assault rifle makes me.. almost laugh.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join