It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Great Pyramid of Khufu

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: carpooler
... or the Bullfinch anthology of Budge's translation of the Egyptian Book of the Dead.

I would really like a link to the above book. As far as I can see, it doesn't exist. And Bullfinch died long before Budge ever gave his translation (which is a moderately poor translation, by the way.)

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

You are trying to get my goat. I have a hard back copy of Bulfinch's Mythology with the Budge, "Egyptian Book of the Dead" text in it, along with other works on various Myths. I can assure you that it exists! I think that you need to spend more time in a classic bookstore, and or libraries, and less time, online.

In any case, Profs, Grover Krantz and Feckrey Hassan, both accepted my takes on what Budge wrote about the Egyptian priest, Dehdi. That's better than any online screeds.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   

You are trying to get my goat. I have a hard back copy of Bulfinch's Mythology with the Budge, "Egyptian Book of the Dead" text in it, along with other works on various Myths. I can assure you that it exists! I think that you need to spend more time in a classic bookstore, and or libraries, and less time, online.

In any case, Profs, Grover Krantz and Feckrey Hassan, both accepted my takes on what Budge wrote about the Egyptian priest, Dehdi. That's better than any online screeds.

Bullfinch's three volumes only cover Greek and Roman mythology in the first volume. The other two volumes cover later mythologies, those of chivalry and those of Charlemagne.

Harte

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Not trying to get your goat... trying to figure out what you read. Online searches didn't turn up Bullfinch and Egyptian mythology. I found the entire three volume set of Bullfinch online - Budge wasn't in there.

The material in that copy of the book matches the Bullfinch in my university library (I looked) and in the local public library.

I believe that you have misremembered or encountered pages that made a hash of the Dream Stele and confusing it with the Westcar Papyrus and the Book of the Dead.

The fact that the professors did not correct you isn't particularly relevant. We've got the books. I opened them. It's not in there. (You can counter this by going to your book, giving me the title and edition and the page number and I will go look up that edition.)

Because I'm really curious where this poor source material comes from.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

Bullfinch's three volumes only cover Greek and Roman mythology in the first volume. The other two volumes cover later mythologies, those of chivalry and those of Charlemagne.

Harte

So I found, using the Wayback machine. The mentions of Egypt are from Roman and Greek mythology (and as a place, no stories from there) and are from the Protestant Bible.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

Online searches didn't turn up Bullfinch and Egyptian mythology. I found the entire three volume set of Bullfinch online - Budge wasn't in there.

The material in that copy of the book matches the Bullfinch in my university library (I looked) and in the local public library.

I believe that you have misremembered or encountered pages that made a hash of the Dream Stele and confusing it with the Westcar Papyrus and the Book of the Dead.

The fact that the professors did not correct you isn't particularly relevant. We've got the books. I opened them. It's not in there. (You can counter this by going to your book, giving me the title and edition and the page number and I will go look up that edition.)

Because I'm really curious where this poor source material comes from.

I wonder whether a hardback copy of this might not be the answer to the immediate bibliographic mystery.

edit on 29-3-2018 by Hooke because: text

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join