It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can't remember why I voted for Trump...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   
This is likely going to be a long post so bear with me.

First, a little backstory that does build to a point - eventually -

Over a month ago, I had quite a few back and forth discussions with one of the owners of ATS here at which time I said, ya know what, just delete my account. We had some more back and forth, so I stepped back and employed some introspection; my conclusion? Wrong approach. With what seemed to me to be a hearty helping of "Trumpism" on here left a bad taste in my mouth, mostly because I'm an extremely pragmatic guy.

During this introspection, I began questioning myself as to my original reasons for voting Trump. Was it because I loved him? Hell no, since the early 90's I thought he was a scumbag. Was it because I thought he was intelligent enough to actually do the job? Nope, and he keeps proving that assessment correct on a daily basis. So what the hell was it?

To answer my own question at the time, I needed to do 2 things, one of them was revisit my youth. In earlier years I remember getting in trouble... a LOT. Most of those things were legally....sketchy. What I also remember from that time were the cops, and I would say a greater percentage of the time they knew what I was doing, but let me off with a warning and, at time, bringing the attention of what I had done to my parents for the more severe infractions. What that did for me though, were 2 fantastic life lessons: 1) that sometimes you need to let people get away with things and 2) sometimes breaking SOME laws has a greater good in the end. The TL;DR of this to me was, dont encroach humans free will so long as they aren't harmful to themselves or others; we have no need for the robotic society it seems quite a few are vying for these days.

The second thing I needed to do (and DID do) was embed myself deeply in the Left, far-left and neo-liberal elements of the world, from twitter (which I despise) to instagram to facebook...all with an assumed identity that I could easily forget about and leave forever untouched again. I already had plenty of disdain for the way the Right, Alt-Right and neo-conservative movements were operating, so I felt the need to re-educate myself on how the "other side" operated. What did I find? Not a damn thing. That they operated IDENTICALLY in their mutual disrespect for anyone elses viewpoints. Perhaps the left side being a bit more vitriolic than the right, but that could be due to my focus on it.

A summary of some of the topics I participated in:
#MeToo
#BoycottNRA
#Neveragain
#Parkland
#Emma4change

Ignorance is RAMPANT with respect to - firearms, due process, what constitutes sexual abuse vs predation vs pedophelia vs normal exchange of human interaction, corporate espionage vs voicing disdain for a comnpanies position; the list goes on.

The above is not to denigrate anyone left-leaning, but to voice MY displeasure with my inability to reconcile my original vote to my current days feelings about it.

One of the topics close to my heart is firearms and the second amendment. The second amendment was never designed with hunting in mind; it wasnt designed with plnking in mind; it wasnt designed with paper targets in mind. It was designed with a militia in the (hopefully never necessary) cataclysmic event that a despotic or tyrannical government, namely ours, needs to be overthrown and re-established. It is in black and white, yet some want to argue the meaning of it....why? It is in BLACK and WHITE, there was little room for interpretation there.

#MeToo....what about #NotMe instead of the mob rules mentality?

#Emma4change the media is basically LETTING prepubescents decide policy...POLICY of which they are woefully ignorant, their horror notwithstanding in Parkland. Yet, they are shielding themselves against the backdrop of aforementioned teens just so that they could "get their way".

There are MANY dangerous precedents being set these days when news cycles run in the MINUTES not even hours. Disarming the population is dangerous while never arming psychopaths is 100% necessary. Allowing people lives to be destroyed by accusations and throwing due process to the wind is dangerous. Allowing teens (with ZERO life experience in either the Constitution, what it TRULY means to fight for rights and not just "tweet stuffs", compromise and reaching a solution) to determine policy is dangerous.

Still, I am a moderate down-the-middle pragmatist, and one word kept creeping into my psyche: Disenfranchisement. Donald Trump represented someone who would try to get away with little things here and there (like my youth reminds me). He didn't seem to embrace left or right ideology. Donald Trump said all the right words...his message resonated with a LOT of people.

Looking back, I regret my decision for the good of the NATION, but equally I understand why I voted for him...disenfranchisement. His message was right on, he just was NOT the right messenger.

I dont know who the right messenger is, to be honest I'm not thoroughly convinced there IS a "correct messenger" anymore...what I DO know is that I want my country back because it IS gone....for now.

+20 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: alphabetaone

You voted for Trump because Hillary.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Maybe write down your thoughts next time you vote.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I can't remember why I voted for Trump...

I can.

He snips off all the right people.

The greatest threat we as a people face.

It's a political party hell-bent on power at any cost.

No matter who they railroad over.

From this perspective.

Trump is the only thing standing in between YOU and Them.

Let that sink in.

Imagine what Never Trump would be doing if they had power.

Take a look at what they've done without it.

Terrifying.

edit on 28-2-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   

It was designed with a militia in the (hopefully never necessary) cataclysmic event that a despotic or tyrannical government, namely ours, needs to be overthrown and re-established. It is in black and white, yet some want to argue the meaning of it....why? It is in BLACK and WHITE, there was little room for interpretation there.

It is in black and white where? Exactly?

There are several mentions of militia in the Constitution. Where does it say their purpose is to overthrow the United States government? I can't seem to find that part.

I don't know why you voted for Trump either.

edit on 2/28/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

Because, allot of fake news stories were spread all over the entire internet, aimed at making Hillary look like a Nut, and trump look like the much more "sane" choice. All kinds of websites had/have shills. Intentionally influencing our thoughts, and choices. If this were not true, I would see more people responding appropriately to untrue stories. Instead, I see them go along with them.

Uranium One. Politifact it.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Do you take the time to read some of the stuff you type?
I mean, you really don't believe the madness you spew do you?

OP:

You voted for Trump because you tough (despite previous trends) THIS TIME WILL BE DIFFERENT.

edit on 28-2-2018 by AScrubWhoDied because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Lesser of two evils.
edit on 28-2-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: kurthall

Because, allot of fake news stories were spread all over the entire internet, aimed at making Hillary look like a Nut, and trump look like the much more "sane" choice.

Eh, she looked like a Nut before all of that.

I didn't like her before "the Russians hacked our elections, an attack comparable to 9/11".

Haha, it sounds funny saying it. Who knew Facebook profiles would be labeled an attack on America.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I know why I voted for Trump, and I know why I shall do so again.

Because if both parties hate him, I'm all in. Both the right and left have veered so far in opposite directions, we needed a complete outsider to take over the reigns and steer things back on target.

I don't give a damn what he tweets. Let him, it's just Trump being Trump.

Mark my words, I called his presidency a year before he was elected. And he will be reelected.

Fred..

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

This! Absolutely the lesser of two evils...

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Donald Trump took advantage of the same brainwashing techniques that the Catholic Church and that cults use.

In most elections, people can't really say why they voted the way they did, either because of some sort of policy or against the policy of the other person, in this case, Hillary Clinton.

Trump really didn't have coherent policy statements on anything, but millions of people across the country bought into the Kool Aid, millions are still on the Trump Train, and if you ask them why, they'll probably give you one of the same of 2 or 3 reasons "He's a great businessman", "he's draining the swamp", "he says what he thinks".

Now, NONE of those suggest he'd make a good President, at all. Since 2008, everyone knew that Hillary was going to be the candidate in 2016. The far right had 8 years to build consensus against her, and to make sure that the loudest voices in the room (Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck etc) were rabidly anti-Hillary and were pushing their message for YEARS.

In 2008, Trump was still a Democrat and not even under consideration as a candidate to run against Hillary for the GOP. Trump is basically a charlatan and a showman, the PT Barnum of the age.

Once Trump decided to run, he used cult like techniques to get people's attention. There were so many things along his campaign that would have sunk any other candidate anywhere in the world, but Trump supporters were so rabidly for him that it didn't matter. Again, this is cult like behavior. Dear Leader can do no wrong. When Trump said he could "walk down Fifth Avenue and shoot someone, and still get elected" he was pretty much right.

It's going to take at least 2-3 generations to deprogram the cult like behavior of Trump supporters, most of whom think this is "politics as usual". Many of them never voted before and never attended a political rally or supported a candidate, so they think this is normal behavior.

You got caught up in the fever, but realized it quicker than most. Millions are still trapped in the Cult of Trump and will only realize after it's way, way too late for America.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: fredrodgers1960

Because if both parties hate him, I'm all in. Both the right and left have veered so far in opposite directions, we needed a complete outsider to take over the reigns and steer things back on target.

Mark my words, I called his presidency a year before he was elected. And he will be reelected.

Fred..

Just because everyone else hates him shouldn't be a reason to support everyone.

You're probably right though, because of morons who will vote for him no matter what he does, he'll probably get reelected, if he gets to the end of his first term.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

[√]Killing the life tax (individual mandate of Obamacare)
[√]Preserving the right of the people to keep and bear arms

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

It was designed with a militia in the (hopefully never necessary) cataclysmic event that a despotic or tyrannical government, namely ours, needs to be overthrown and re-established. It is in black and white, yet some want to argue the meaning of it....why? It is in BLACK and WHITE, there was little room for interpretation there.

It is in black and white where? Exactly?

There are several mentions of militia in the Constitution. Where does it say their purpose is to overthrow the United States government? I can't seem to find that part.

I don't know why you voted for Trump either.

I guess if it isn't clear to everyone, we will have to listen to what the SCOTUS said about it for now.
I say for now, because even the SCOTUS rulings change.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: babybunnies

originally posted by: fredrodgers1960

Fred..

Just because everyone else hates him shouldn't be a reason to support everyone.

You're probably right though, because of morons who will vote for him no matter what he does, he'll probably get reelected, if he gets to the end of his first term.

LET THE NAME CALLING BEGIN!!!

When you can't actually argue a point and immediately go to name calling, we win.

Thanks!!

Fred..

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Was it because I loved him? Hell no, since the early 90's I thought he was a scumbag. Was it because I thought he was intelligent enough to actually do the job? Nope, and he keeps proving that assessment correct on a daily basis. So what the hell was it?

If the above quote is indeed the truth, and you actually voted for him the only logical explanation would be so you could create this thread.

Also, in all seriousness, I find it virtually impossible to believe that you did, or could have voted for Trump thinking he was a scumbag since the 90s.

And if you actually did vote Trump, the only acceptable reason in your case would be that he was the only viable alternative to a Hillary Clinton presidency and perhaps in a brief moment of sanity and clarity you were able to see the complete disaster her presidency would have been.

imo
edit on 28-2-2018 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Because he was not only the best candidate of the election, but for his love and support of the middle class, the best candidate since Calvin Coolidge.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I seem to remember you as a rabid anti Trump poster from a few months ago, I also remember you as a valuable member of this family. But you are free to classify yourself anyway you choose, it's your thread.

Trump to me is all the things the haters say. Loud, lies, egomaniac, speaks before thinking, arrogant, orange hue, and a general douche. But he seems to honestly want good things for the country. He has plenty of money, and he's 70 years old, so barring him being in the elite (live forever) club, he won't be around much longer.(Dick Clark is the founder-his death was staged)

But without him, the entire world would have continued to operate as it had. Those with money and power, would pay the lobbyists to pay the politicians who could make the things they wanted to happen, happen. I don't think that's over at all, but a lot of the way it works is being shown to all. With the corruption and blatant disregard for our laws, the group in power got lazy. They did their stuff out in the open, with little fear of repercussions. Hell, they owned the law, so why fear it. Well, the law, was the first to start unraveling at the seems. And this rip will likely show you the ugly, wrinkled, pimple filled ass, behind the pretty curtain, that has hid it's nastiness for so long.

So while you may be right to rip on Trump for being exactly who he has always been, you also owe him. If for nothing else, for being the wrong guy at the right time.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join