It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher with Gun in Custody after Barricading self in Classroom

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Anyone who thinks arming people in an already highly stressful job is also an idiot.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
a reply to: liveandlearn

i shall be blunt - anyone who thinks that " armed teachers " = a solution - is an idiot

After seeing the results, anyone who thinks gun free zones are a great idea-is an idiot.

Come on dude... Lets just unite as one all powerful force and accept the true reality... which is that we're all just a bunch of idiots!

Which by the way, is actually another extremely legitimate argument for why arming teachers is a really stupid idea...

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky

originally posted by: Butterfinger
Maybe I missed it, but I never heard the call to force teachers to train and be armed, rather vets and ex police officers/military who likely already have a gun in addition to years of practice/service.

I hear ptsd mixes well with adhd and adderoll

Remember everyone, all vets are one med away from flipping out. Youre too damaged of a person to be relied upon what you were trained to do.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thirty6BelowZero

originally posted by: snowspirit

i shall be blunt - anyone who thinks that " armed teachers " = a solution - is an idiot

Also with a race problem in parts of the US, how will cops react to a non white armed teacher? If there's another school shooting, and there are multiple teachers with guns, and a shooter....it just sounds like problems waiting to happen.

Same exact way they'd react to a white teacher. This is why the media is America's number 1 enemy. They make you think things are what they're not.

Exactly right. What I see in my community. local news vs what is portrayed on MSM can make you think you live in an alternate reality, although it is no longer the 50's when you didn't think about locking your door or walking to the store at night alone.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Come on dude... Lets just unite as one all powerful force and accept the true reality... which is that we're all just a bunch of idiots!

No disagreement on that, but...

Which by the way, is actually another extremely legitimate argument for why arming teachers is a really stupid idea...

That would include the police and military, right? Do you want them disarmed too?

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   
what i'm wondering is why are about 500 shootings over the course of 10 years mostly from 4 states, California, Texas, Illinois and Florida, a problem at all?

not even 200 people have died and most "shootings" that are counted are usually aimed at the shooter themselves or to intimidate someone(bullies probably) or to gain attention.

there is no shooting problem when only 500 or so students are involved in school shootings out of 100 million total students over the course of 10 years, 500 out of 100,000,000 for over 3,650 days... stop demanding the impossible, america already has one of the lowest crime rates in the world as it is, a few large cities are the only reason it's higher than in other western nations(LA, NY, NJ, DC, Baltimore, Chicago, Detroit, Miami, New Orleans, Atlanta, St. louis, Memphis and Las Vegas) and crime is still on the decline without any bans or restrictions or pointless laws needed.

There is no problem in reality, there's just unreasonable expectations by naive spoiled people who think ignoring human nature and trying to control everything with more laws is a good idea. we've been doing that since before recorded history and conflict and ruin is always the end result eventually.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Well, the teacher got the students out of harms way, locked himself in a room and never tried to harm anyone.

This is likely nothing more than a cry for help from an emotionally disturbed person who never intended to harm anyone. I hope he gets the help he needs.

I'm not even sure why this is a conspiracy topic?

So, in my estimation with this word idiot making the rounds, I'm in a thread of children perhaps

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I watched a bit this morning on the Today show. The kids from Florida were returning to class, and were given their opinions. One girl that kept getting replayed was saying that she wants to use their fear to create change. While she may not have meant it that way, as an adult with a decent understanding of human psychology, what I heard was that they want to use their fear as a way to change law.

Think about that for a minute. We are governing by fear now. I grew up in the shadow of The Greatest Generation, idolizing the words of people like Churchill. What would he think about that?

Wait a second, isn't it a bit late to be alarmed at this? Adults have used fear to create & implement policy since this country began.

Many parents already use fear to get their children to act "correctly". Major religions use fire & brimstone fearmongering to scare people, including these teens, into following their teachings. Health experts use fearmongering to get people to eat "correctly". Our entire criminal justice system is built on using our fear of imprisonment to get us to act "correctly". The entire War on Terror and virtually all of our other war policies use the public's fear to get what the MIC wants.

Don't tell me you've already forgotten the Bush administration's color coded terror levels & their frequent updates to keep people on edge? And then there's the constant fearmongering about Iran's possible nukes, North Korea wanting to nuke us, etc. And then there were the spiels about "Obama's trying to take all of our guns, put us into FEMA camps, and start WW3!". And let's not forget the Skittles example about Syrian refugees. You know, the "if you had a bowl full of skittles and knew that only a few were poisonous, would you still eat from that bowl?" example.

Here's the sad part about the part from your post that I quoted. I think it's sad that these teenagers have learned so well from adults about the power of fear. They literally grew up during the War on Terror and the era of Columbine, and have had adults try to scare them into following our directions since they were born. Yet now that the proverbial light bulb clicks in one of their heads, it's the child's fault?

And for the record, Churchill was a monster who was fond of using chemical weapons (HERE). I'm not so sure that he's a great example for the younger generations. Following Churchill's logic, those kids would be fine with both Syria and Turkey's alleged recent chemical weapons attacks.

ETA: And don't get me started on the fearmongering used about M13, "creeping Sharia", illegal immigrants crossing the borders, the dangers of releasing the people in Gitmo, etc. Our country's always used fear to affect policy. It's way too late to put that proverbial genie back in the bottle now & it shouldn't surprise anyone when the next generation starts doing the same things their elders have been doing this whole time.
edit on 28-2-2018 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

I keep hearing the right say that the country’s going to hell, and we need to put the fear of God into people again.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

originally posted by: testingtesting
a reply to: neo96

You have proved it time and time again when you bring up abortion.
Gun rights are great by you but women's right to choose.....
You can not pick and choose freedoms because you don't like some.

Choosing personal gun ownership is in no way related to choosing to murder another human.

In no way related? Sorry but as pro 2A as I am this statement is patently untrue. If people weren’t obtaining firearms for the sole purpose of taking lives we would have zero gang related shootings and the vast majority of other firearm related crimes. I’m in no way trying to imply that everyone who owns a firearm is going to kill someone. One of my rifles is sitting all of 10’ away from me right now and hasn’t tried to kill anyone on its own all day. But to claim that personal firearms ownership never has anything to do with premeditation or even simple intent, is entirely disingenuous.

Most guns never shoot at anyone and surely don't murder a single person.

All that the above statement does is set up your appeal to emotion fallacy.

All abortion doctors murder. That is their intent, and their job. They feed their families with blood money.

Completely off topic but, the vast majority of services provided by clinics that also perform abortion are preventative health care. OB/GYN Exams, birth control, cancer and STD screenings...

Right to murder huh?

I suppose that all depends on what one constitutes as life.
61.3% of abortion’s are done at 9 weeks or earlier.
17.8% at weeks 9-10
9.6% at weeks 11-12
6.7% at weeks 13-15
3.5% at weeks 16-20
And only 1.1% from weeks 21-40

At which point is the fetus able to survive on its own outside of the womb? Do you actually know? Nobody is going in and having full term pregnancies aborted without some serious medical concerns for the mother and child. Nobody is going around blatantly murdering children as you seem to be claiming.

I can’t inagine what has to be going through a woman’s mind when she realizes that it’s either her life or that if a child who may be born with serious congenital abnormalities. I hope you’re never in a position where you have to be a party to deciding whether or not to have to entertain such a scenario. Because I’ll tell you this much, watching someone you care about have to make such an agonizing decision and stand by their side and comfort them while ensuring that level of suffering and loss, especially when it goes against their core beliefs, is not something I would wish on my worst enemy. But claiming that abortion doctors butter their toast with the entrails of aborted children while counting fat stacks of green is simply wrong on so many levels.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Actually, what I got from that was that she wants to use a negative for positive change. Kind of like how people losing someone to cancer starting an organization to fund research for a cure.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

There are question about an attempted suicide but nothing official. If so, you would then have to question why he went to school.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thirty6BelowZero

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

originally posted by: howtonhawky
Anybody else got any bright ideas?

Since people don't want age limits for guns and seem to believe that more guns make a place safer, the obvious conclusion is that the students should all be armed. Then they could stop the unstable but armed teachers and do the security guard's job when he/she is hiding outside. And since they identified the last dude as a potential school shooter long before he actually did it, they clearly understand the situation better than us adults do.

(sarcasm obviously)

No different than how some people believe that legalizing drugs will make the country a safer place.

Depends on the drugs. Some drugs like MJ don't kill their users. So they're fine. But I don't agree with making all drugs legal since many of them can harm their users and/or others in the vicinity of them.

Although legalized drugs also include age limits. And some require other qualifications and limits, like limiting the number of plants a person can have, limiting the amount that can be carried at any given time, etc. And ironically, there are even legal limits on where legal drugs like tobacco and alcohol can be consumed/used. And companies can even fire you for using some legal substances during work hours (like recreational MJ & alcohol).

In other words, yes it's a bit different than many of the arguments to legalize drugs.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

I keep hearing the right say that the country’s going to hell, and we need to put the fear of God into people again.

Exactly. Preach fear then act shocked when people learn fear.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

originally posted by: network dude

After seeing the results, anyone who thinks gun free zones are a great idea-is an idiot.

If the bad guys are going to have guns, then why in the wide world of sports can't the good guys have one too?
I don't think Mrs. Crabtree, with her bifocals and girdle, needs to be packing, but if Coach Wilson, who served, and knows how to cope with a strenuous situation wants to bring his CCW along at work, I think he should be allowed. He also has a pretty strict set of rules he must follow to maintain his CCW status. If teachers wish to carry, they should be allowed to, as long as they can prove they know what they are doing.

If you aren't going to make the schools "prison like" in that entrance is guarded, you have to do something. Doing nothing will change nothing, and going after guns before you do anything else, looks an awful lot like somebody's getting played.

I guess the part where almost all the shooters had mental illness, just isn't one of those "pertinent details".

I want no more dead kids. NONE. Just don't let the emotions dictate policy.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarPig1939
Wow. That is pathetic. So predictable. Now they are literally engineering crimes out of thin air to sway public opinion. Do really live in Soviet Russia?

If this was real then, I'd say this probably was the worst case of "Deja Vu" ever to come into existence,

When everyone is discussing the idea of arming teachers.... I'm not buying this B.S.

It's been 50 years or more since Goebbels explained how best to manipulate public perception and therefore public opinion, and more than a century since Woodrow Wilson hired Edward Bernays to manipulate for the government, to spin things.

That said, there is a chance this event in Georgia is a spontaneous event. I have no opinion just yet.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Arm teachers that would like to be armed, or do you not trust them? The key here is just the idea that a school is not gun free. Doesn't matter if there is not a single gun in the school, the threat that there might be would have prevented most of the past school killings.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut
What happens when a teacher goes crazy and shoots up a school? What happens when teachers start killing students as irresponsibly as police officers have?

More guns is the solution, we clearly need to arm the children to protect them from the crazy teachers. All they need to does add an extra class, target practice....

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Oh I just bet.

How convenient.

Just like the immediate calls for gun control following this last "event"

Give me a break

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Clearly teachers carrying legal firearms won't contribute to any violent actions.

Obviously one intent on causing harm (which this guy was not) would simply carry the firearm whether it was legal or not. Law abiding citizens will not carry theirs. Carrying a firearm unlawfully is the least of your concerns if you're about to commit an act of violence/mass murder. Come on, this is common sense day one stuff here

So explain how this prevents any criminal act? It simply doesn't.

Instead of A->B->C you go straight from A->R

edit on 2/28/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join