It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dick's Sporting Goods to stop selling assault-style rifles in wake of Florida school shooting

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Thanks for making my coffee go out my nose.

I seriously doubt the anti gun people we're the Market buying said guns from Dicks.

They don't have to be in the market to affect the demand of a product.

If they were really focused on the whole gun debate, they'd stop selling the guns that cause the vast majority of homicides in America.

If they really supported the 2nd, they would stand strong and tell the whiners to blow off.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Well, well, well. What would be said if they wouldn’t sell gay wedding cakes or had a whites only drinking fountain?

Hope some enterprising 18 year old sues the ever loving crap out them to teach some people a lesson.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Well, well, well. What would be said if they wouldn’t sell gay wedding cakes or had a whites only drinking fountain?

Hope some enterprising 18 year old sues the ever loving crap out them to teach some people a lesson.

Well, that's a false equivalence.

Dicks deciding not to sell a specific product because of current events is not the same as deciding not to sell something based on sexual preference or color.
edit on 28-2-2018 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   
if they stopt selling the AR-15 but continue to sell the Ruger mini-14...then this is just idiotic PR for idiots....

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Dicks deciding not to sell a specific product because of current events is not the same and deciding not to sell something based on sexual preference or color.

NO, Dicks discriminating based on age IS the same as discriminating based on sexual orientation and race.

Remember they are also raising the age to 21..even though state and local laws say 18...

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Dicks deciding not to sell a specific product because of current events is not the same and deciding not to sell something based on sexual preference or color.

Not it isn't.

It's discrimination.

See wedding cake bakers.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: butcherguy
I went to Dicks and bought a rifle a number of years ago. A manager had to carry ot out to the car for me, (so I didn't try to kill anyone inside the store... I guess?).
I thanked him for keeping everyone safe, as I was carrying a .40 S&W concealed the whole time.

They will let you handle any firearm you choose in the store, but they had to carry it out to the car for you?

I smell BS.

It happened to me, so I am aware of the policy as it was at that time.
I have purchased three firearms at Dick's.
I described the first.
The second one involved carrying a rifle out to my car and being asked questions that the manager read from a sheet of paper... one if which was asking what I was purchasing the firearm for. I replied "To shoot it."
The last one was in November of 2017. The rifle was only carried from the firearms department to the checkout, and I was allowed to carry it to my car myself.
You ever buy a rifle at Dick's?
I smell ignorance.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: smkymcnugget420

NO, Dicks discriminating based on age IS the same as discriminating based on sexual orientation and race.

Remember they are also raising the age to 21..even though state and local laws say 18...

They have that right and it is not discrimination as long as the policy is equally enforced.

That is not the same as saying they would not provide a service to someone because of their sexual preference or skin color.

Standards and policies based on the age of a person has been acceptable for quite some time. Except for obvious discrimination issues such as hiring/firing in the workplace.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Not it isn't.

It's discrimination.

See wedding cake bakers.

It seems many of you do not know what discrimination is.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I guess you'd be one of them..

As per the definition goes.

. treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thingbased on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit:

www.dictionary.com...

Shame the gunphobes don't either.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: GBP/JPY
Or your a bad shot or just like to pretend to be infantry or relive the old days. I can kill a dear just as well as someone with any “assault” style weapon just using a .22 lr SSS round

The number of rounds in a magazine or choosing to use a semiautomatic rifle does not make a person a bad shot.
But you know that.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Sure...

No. I do not buy anything at the chain sporting good stores. I suggest you look in to local, smaller shops that offer full service before and after the sale.

They also do not carry it out to your car for you. If you are eligible to purchase the firearm, they trust you to put it in your vehicle.

Seems to me that if they carried it out to your car for you, they had reason to suspect you may have been shady and should not have sold you the firearm to begin with, even if you did pass the background check.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   

I guess you'd be one of them..

As per the definition goes.

. treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thingbased on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit:

www.dictionary.com...

Shame the gunphobes don't either.

Again, standards based on age is normal and not discrimination, except in other certain circumstances.

For example, did you know that some rental car companies will not let you rent a car unless you are 21, even though the law states that people of 18 are eligible as adults?

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Nice try.

Town halls on CNN say otherwise.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Nice try.

Town halls on CNN say otherwise.

And cure another deflection.

You're on a roll today kiddo.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Nope.

If an under 21 is considered to be to young to buy a firearm.

Then they are too young to push political agendas on CNN.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Others above have answered my point exactly. It is a civil rights violation to discriminate based on age what would otherwise be a legal activity. 18 year olds are allowed to purchase long guns. It is 21 for handguns. Dick’s and Field & Stream could lose their license over this policy at minimum.

Not stocking and selling assault style rifles, however is a legal business decision. In any case, I wonder if they will pull Glock 17 magazines from the shelves? A few will get that question.

Edit to add: Leasing is a different animal from purchasing and has everything to do with insurance policies on their cars. Enterprise, Avis and Budget do not discriminate on the selling off of their expired inventory of cars.
edit on 28-2-2018 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

Sure...

No. I do not buy anything at the chain sporting good stores. I suggest you look in to local, smaller shops that offer full service before and after the sale.

They also do not carry it out to your car for you. If you are eligible to purchase the firearm, they trust you to put it in your vehicle.

Seems to me that if they carried it out to your car for you, they had reason to suspect you may have been shady and should not have sold you the firearm to begin with, even if you did pass the background check.

Did you ever buy a gun at Dick's?
Your answer was no.
But you thought I was lying, when you have ZERO experience in the matter.
Then you go on to lecture me as to where I should shop for guns.... as if I have only purchased firearms at Dick's.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Unlike most liberals, I believe stores should be able to sell items they choose and that don't violate their moral or religious beliefs.

Good for Dick's.

Capitalism 101 buyers will just go elsewhere.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Field and Stream had to carry to the register due to company policy. Makes sense because someone could load the gun before going to the register. Since they keep ammo on the floor whereas most local gun shops keep ammo behind the counter. Or you could steal the gun outright if you think about it.

All the way to the car? Might be an individual store policy or personal policy in order to get a smoke break before coming back in. Gonna go with personal policy here after thinking about it.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join