It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Peter Gabriel - Didn't he get sick?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Hey folks,

I really hate to ask this question, I'm usually very dismissive of Mandela-effect sort of stories, just to preface. I thought Peter Gabriel got sick, and I thought he got HIV and died back in the 80's - early 90's. I honestly was under this impression until I maybe an hour ago when I started watching Peter Gabriel videos on YouTube. One of my favorites:

Then to my surprise videos from 2010 featuring an old guy with Peter Gabriel's voice popped up in my feed. So I looked into it and what did I find, but that Peter Gabriel contributed to the liberation of Nelson Mandela and is an activist for reproductive health..

So look: in 1990 I was ten years old, and HIV/AIDS was a super scary topic. Maybe yeah I associated his name with HIV and conflated that with his leaving Genesis, then Phil Collins sort of taking his place. I REALLY feel like I would have known that he just left the band and was still making music, though. The way the topics mush together, AIDS/Gabriel/Mandela just struck me as SUPER weird. I'm wondering if anyone else has a memory of Peter Gabriel dying of HIV/AIDS? Again, I'm really embarrassed to ask this. It's just such a strong impression in my mind that he had.

Thanks,

Z
edit on 28-2-2018 by Zelun because: fixed some links. They're on archive.org too, but I couldn't get those to work.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Zelun

Nope.
We are all fallible.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 04:29 AM
link   

You are just mistaken. He has been very active in the music scene. Perhaps you just weren't paying attention?

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 04:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy

You are just mistaken. He has been very active in the music scene. Perhaps you just weren't paying attention?

Well, that's the thing. I had been paying attention and it made an emotional impact on me that the guy got sick in the party life, and I felt really sad about that. I've been a musician all my life.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 04:43 AM
link   
All I can say is "Solsbury Hill" is one of the best songs out there.

But living in a small town I kind of lost track of him so I can understand

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 04:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: mymymy
All I can say is "Solsbury Hill" is one of the best songs out there.

But living in a small town I kind of lost track of him so I can understand

The place where you come from, the small town, do they think so small, they use small words? Well not me. I'm smarter than that. I've worked it out. I'd be stretching my mouth, to let those big words come right out!

edit on 28-2-2018 by Zelun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 04:53 AM
link   

I am a fan and have kept track of him over the years - seriously - he did not die!

I remember him appearing as himself in the Bryan Pern series (very funny, by the way).

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Interesting. Going with the premise of some sort of timeline change, what years were these appearances? An intervention would have to have happened in the 80s. Or I'm just dumb, a markedly distinct possibility.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 05:08 AM
link   

There were a number of Brian Pern progs (Brian with an "I" - sorry) and I think they were broadcast between 2014 and 2017.

BP was played by Simon Day (Fast Show) and his character was pretty loosely based on PG. It had lots of cameos by famous artists and rock celebs.

PG played himself in a cameo role. Try Googling.

There has been no timeline change or intervention so I'm afraid it may indeed be that you are just dumb!

We all are from time to time. I know I have been dumb on more than one occasion.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 05:12 AM
link   

I remember something like this runing over the airwaves about him getting sick, I do remember talking about on the docks at a warehouse I was working at.....

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 05:19 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

I watched the two cameos, they were pretty short. I found some contemporary stuff where he sits in as a guest artist, does tribute stuff, that sort of thing. What has he been doing for 20 years though? I'm not questioning your memory by any means. My question is whether anyone else shares my memory. This whole time travel business is inherently unfalsifiable, so I know there won't be any proof that he died, and similarly my stupid memory is easily jacked up by confabulation. I'm just having a hard time shaking the emotion of that memory.

I remember clearly watching his videos on MTV and thinking "man, what a loss." You know?
edit on 28-2-2018 by Zelun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 05:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Komodo

He has battled depression and vocally supports mental health campaigns. Is that what you mean?

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Why don't you just look him up on Wikepedia or something? He has not exactly been in hiding the past 20 years.

And yes, "cameos" are pretty short - by definition.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 05:25 AM
link   

And yes, "cameos" are pretty short - by definition.

LOL yeah. You got me there!

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 05:25 AM
link   

You've hit the windshield

I've been dancing on a volcano since 1977

The music's playing, the notes are right
Put your left foot first and move into the light.
The edge of this hill is the edge of the world
And if you're going to cross you better start doing it right better start doing it right.
You better start doing it right.
Let the dance begin.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 05:27 AM
link   

a reply to: Komodo

He has battled depression and vocally supports mental health campaigns. Is that what you mean?

Well, if you recall back in the 80s and 90s mental health problems really weren't considered illnesses, if you know what I mean. It was a character flaw pretty much. My impression was that it was a physical ailment, and that it was HIV.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I have no memory of Gabriel dying and pay some attention as his early stuff is great ... but I won't dismiss your memory, either.

I share some of the effects, spot others as mistakes, and some might be valid for one, not for another, depending on some unknown factor.

All I know is that it's confusing and nearly impossible to sort out, but if enough reasonable, non-meme influenced people share strong, networked memories of something, it's at least possible that it's not a mistake or confabulation.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 05:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Yeah, this would have been after he left Genesis.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 05:33 AM
link   
He did die. In your time line. You've somehow magically crossed over into our time line.

Someone call the time line police, we have another intruder..

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Then to my surprise videos from 2010 featuring an old guy with Peter Gabriel's voice

All you have to do is google/youtube "Peter Gabriel 2010".

No offence but artists do age; he is 68

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join