It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An inconvenient study.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Don't look now, but this is going to make the usual suspects heads explode. Ya know them folks running around like a few dozen chicken littles screaming the sky is falling that WE MUST DO SOMETHING.

Some of you may have read the latest attempt of banning objects, which wasn't anything new. It was just Feinsteins failed attempt just repackaged for mass public consumption.

According to this study schools are safer today than in the 1990s, and why wouldn't they be?.

Now for the meat and potato's.

Since 1996, there have been 16 multiple victim shootings in schools, or incidents involving 4 or more victims and at least 2 deaths by firearms, excluding the assailant.

I wonder how many people can name all 16 without googling them?

“This is not an epidemic” Mass school shootings are incredibly rare events. In research publishing later this year, Fox and doctoral student Emma Fridel found that on average, mass murders occur between 20 and 30 times per year, and about one of those incidents on average takes place at a school.

More kids are killed each year from pool drownings or bicycle accidents, they said.

Safer than the 90s.

Washpo article

I retort.

They lie.

Says the Master to the fly.
edit on 27-2-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

edit on 27-2-2018 by neo96 because: oops

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Nah, school shootings happen every day. At least that is what they said on CNN. Bodies are stacked 10 high at every other elementary school.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

**poof**

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Ever since the paid propoganda ban was lifted...

Something to chew on.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Don't look now, but this is going to make the usual suspects heads explode. Ya know them folks running around like a few dozen chicken littles screaming the sky is falling that WE MUST DO SOMETHING.

Some of you may have read the latest attempt of banning objects, which wasn't anything new. It was just Feinsteins failed attempt just repackaged for mass public consumption.

According to this study schools are safer today than in the 1990s, and why wouldn't they be?.

Now for the meat and potato's.

Since 1996, there have been 16 multiple victim shootings in schools, or incidents involving 4 or more victims and at least 2 deaths by firearms, excluding the assailant.

I wonder how many people can name all 16 without googling them?

“This is not an epidemic” Mass school shootings are incredibly rare events. In research publishing later this year, Fox and doctoral student Emma Fridel found that on average, mass murders occur between 20 and 30 times per year, and about one of those incidents on average takes place at a school.

More kids are killed each year from pool drownings or bicycle accidents, they said.

Safer than the 90s.

Washpo article

I retort.

They lie.

Says the Master to the fly.

Glad you now agree that firearm regulations work.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The fact that you take these statistics as *good* news.

Makes me thrilled I don't live in the US.

It's pretty sad, from an outsiders view.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Why would I?

Schools are safer today than the 90s.

That was the height of Clintons ban.

Ie safer without it.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Why would I?

Schools are safer today than the 90s.

That was the height of Clintons ban.

Ie safer without it.

Only it's still in place. Sounds like it's worked.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Sure if you ignore Columbine happened at the height of all those laws and bans.

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
The fact that you take these statistics as *good* news.

It's pretty sad, from an outsiders view.

We're also thrilled you don't live in the US.
edit on 27-2-2018 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Sure if you ignore Columbine happened at the height of all those laws and bans.

But you argued that statsticly they are getting rarer since the 90s. The time period the ban you linked to has been in place.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   

It's tiring spoon feeding people that refuse to do their own leg work.

The ten-year ban was passed by the U.S. Congress on September 13, 1994, following a close 52–48 vote in the Senate, and signed into law by then President Bill Clinton the same day. The ban only applied to weapons manufactured after the date of the ban's enactment, and it expired on September 13, 2004, in accordance with its sunset provision.

en.wikipedia.org...

What effing year is it?

+10 more 
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton

Let us know where you live and we'll find you a recent report of some lunatic doing something horrible to somebody there. Then multiply the number of people in your country so that it equals the US, and you'll likely find that it's all just a numbers game. More people, more psychos, more incidents.

link   

edit on 27/2/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Nice... So when they compare the US to itself in the past, it doesn't look so bad.

But, if you compared the amount of school shootings that currently occur in the US... to the amount of school shootings that currently occur in other first world nations, which share the same (or higher) quality of life, as the US... Your stats start to show a far more grimmer picture.

... Sorry, didn't mean to burst that fragile little bubble, which you are apparently living in.

Peace...

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

But, if you compared the amount of school shootings that currently occur in the US... to the amount of school shootings that currently occur in other first world nations, which share the same (or higher) quality of life, as the US... Your stats start to show a far more grimmer picture.

Why the hell would I make some apples to oranges comparison to places that have different laws, different ethnic populations and socio economic political bullsnip?

WHY?

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

It's tiring spoon feeding people that refuse to do their own leg work.

The ten-year ban was passed by the U.S. Congress on September 13, 1994, following a close 52–48 vote in the Senate, and signed into law by then President Bill Clinton the same day. The ban only applied to weapons manufactured after the date of the ban's enactment, and it expired on September 13, 2004, in accordance with its sunset provision.

en.wikipedia.org...

What effing year is it?

That isn't the legislation you linked to in your OP.

Nice try at back tracking through.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Because that's the only way to make their numbers work

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Because we are all far more alike, than what you want to give credit to!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join