It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China's hypersonic aircraft would fly from Beijing to New York in two hours

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   

China's hypersonic aircraft would fly from Beijing to New York in two hours

I just saw this over on popsci.

Looks like China has been busy in developing hyper-sonic aircraft. And the pic above is what they are working on. Called the I Plane. Talk about weird looking. I wonder how much of a sonic boom it's going to have.

A team of researchers at the Chinese Academy of Sciences have tested a hypersonic plane in a wind tunnel to speeds of Mach 7, or 5,600 miles per hour, according a paper published (PDF) in the Chinese journal Physics, Mechanics and Astronomy.

Here is a link to the research paper.

Who wants to bet that the chinese military doesn't have something in the works already. Hypersonic strategic bomber or transport maybe?
edit on 27-2-2018 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Or their missile that can't be touched by most modern anti missile measures.

It’s one where the United States no longer holds the technical lead.

China has just successfully conducted flight tests of the production model of what is called the DF-17 ballistic missile. What makes this weapon different to other ballistic missiles is that it is designed to carry what is known as a hypersonic glide vehicle (HGV).

“Hypersonic missiles are a new class of threat because they are capable both of manoeuvring and of flying faster than 5000 kilometres per hour, which would enable such missiles to penetrate most missile defences and to further compress the timelines for response by a nation under attack,” a recent report from international affairs think-tank RAND Corporation warns.
Images released by Chinese state-run media show what appear to be a hypervelocity glide vehicles, similar to two successfully tested by new intercontinental ballistic missiles in November.

Images released by Chinese state-run media show what appear to be a hypervelocity glide vehicles, similar to two successfully tested by new intercontinental ballistic missiles in November.Source:Supplied

These gliders are finely engineered, arrow-shaped craft capable of carrying nuclear or conventional warheads at incredible speeds. They travel so fast through the atmosphere (greater than 5000km/h) they must be built to withstand temperatures that would melt meteors, and must be engineered perfectly to avoid tumbling wildly out of control.

edit on 27-2-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Someone says they're gonna build one of these every few years. I'll believe it when I see it.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I believe there's plenty of threads that cover the united states testing of a boost glide vehicle.

China is playing catch up.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

It strikes me as more likely they'll do the HTOL Spaceplane first. They've come out to say they'll make the attempt in 2022.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   
damn s weeks away from electronics and i feel like an old man

dont know i would fly/eat on a SST made by the tycno's
edit on 27-2-2018 by penroc3 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-2-2018 by penroc3 because: supertronic transport, not true tsto

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Who would've thought we'd go back to the bi-plane for hyper sonic travel... lovely, if strange, design. Like a lotus flower, or something, heh.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   
We'll see if the locals will put up with the massive noise sonic booms in their town enough to allow the thing to even land in New York. The people in Beijing don't get a vote.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 04:01 AM
link   
The illustration of the exhaust is pretty interesting...

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: AKrocket

how so. I don't see anything special in its exhaust.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 04:25 AM
link   
yes china. go with the tbcc.

you'll need the forward swept wings to get enough lift to get that heavy pos off the ground.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

how so. I don't see anything special in its exhaust.

Purple pulses coming out the back aren't special? I have never seen a contrail like that.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Why does the second imagine look nothing like the first ? If the second is wind tunnel testing should it not look similar to the first ?

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 06:19 AM
link   

LOl artist rendition? I'm not going to throw it out of the window look what the Japanese have done with their trains thus far... Possibility is always there for improvement.

The maximum operating speed is 320 km/h (200 mph) (on a 387.5 km section of the Tōhoku Shinkansen). Test runs have reached 443 km/h (275 mph) for conventional rail in 1996, and up to a world record 603 km/h (375 mph) for maglev trains in April 2015. en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Classic donut resonance like the Oxcart aircraft taking off from Okinawa at night.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Ya, I'll take the slow boat thank you.

I don't need to get there that fast.

Where they gonna land?

What can possibly go wrong with a chinese made 200 seat comet?

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   

The artist rendered jet thrust in after burner:

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Lets actually see it instead of a what if.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
Who would've thought we'd go back to the bi-plane for hyper sonic travel... lovely, if strange, design. Like a lotus flower, or something, heh.

The biplane shape generates two shock waves which cancel each other, thus helping to reduce the sound of the sonic boom down to jet engine noise levels.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman

The artist rendered jet thrust in after burner:

Well dang it. I had hoped it was hinting at something cooler, but that looks like just about it. I know more than I did yesterday, carry on.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join