It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vodafone to Install 4G Network on the Moon

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Maybe this will finally help me get a decent signal on Farside, rather than having to rely on subfrequency bounce off a passing orbiter.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Sorry , I forgot the link , added now.

The reason for the 4G signal is to allow a couple of Lunar rovers sent by Audi to communicate with each other and stream video from the Moon , it's the HD video from the Lunar surface that excites me although the thought that we are putting communication infrastructure on other Solar System bodies is also quite exciting for a kid from the 70's.

edit on 27-2-2018 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Not sure if some of the comments here understand what the deal is with 4G on the moon.
So the 4G antennas are on the moon only to provide coverage for other devices present on the moons surface near the antennas.
This has nothing to do with communications between the earth and the moon, those will still have to go through more powerfull transmitters/satellites

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jubei42
This has nothing to do with communications between the earth and the moon, those will still have to go through more powerfull transmitters/satellites

Next time I'm on the Moon, I'll have to give it a try.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
It is important to be able to watch cat videos when you want.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Great the moon gets internet before my rural neighborhood.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Well, with 5G starting to be rolled out in Australia at least Oz can claim to be 10 years in front of somebody instead of 10 years behind everybody.

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Right on. It sucks not being able to Instagram from the dark side of the moon.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
a reply to: gortex

OK looks like a useless publicity stunt. If I can send a signal to a receiver on the moon I can send it to ones on the earth. And if I do it directly less delay.

It's more about the spacecraft on or around the Moon sending data back to Earth. A future human colony on the Moon using this service will also benefit.

~~~

BTW, I hope they will land one not far from one of the Apollo landing sites and transmit photos of what's there.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Yes - I think it's Apollo 17's landing site they are planning on visiting.

That should get the Moon Hoax crowd frothing at the mouth and biting the carpet.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

That's cool and a bit surprising to me. Is using the moon for this more feasible than trying to provide such a network through the use man-made of satellites?

Energy collection, storage and consumption. Those rovers could have their own direct satellite link, with a dish, transmitter, and batteries. But that takes kilowatts of power. kilograms of batteries and meters of solar panels. A constellation of satellite phone satellites would be cool but still require a large receiver panel on the rover, and high latency. Install any number of mobile phone masts, and you get the network connection wherever you want, while just needing the space and weight of a mobile phone circuit board.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Question is what be doing for power - considering lunar 2 week day/night cycle

Solar panel would be in darkness for 2 weeks. Doubtful batteries can last entire lunar night

Then there is the temperature swings - from plus 250 F at lunar noon to minus 250 during depth of lunar nights plus

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

That should get the Moon Hoax crowd frothing at the mouth and biting the carpet.

Refer to some of posts on this thread ........

Looks like already crawled out from their rock to plague us with their nonsense.......

posted on Mar, 2 2018 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Well so they have low gain antennas sending signal to a high gain antenna at a base. This is exactly how Mars rover worked again 4g is just publicity stunt. They can choose to use any protocol in the world for communications what's important is they use x band frequencies for communications. X band can handle alot if data and directed to a specific place. Also works great to detect radar.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join