It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

74 percent of millennials to be obese or overweight by 40

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Research WheatBelly. stuff is in everything. Sugar, corn, and wheat diet equals obesity.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I thank my ancestors for these genetics.

it's bacon thirty

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I'm a little slow, I didn't get overweight till I hit almost fifty. I flunked the weight test all the time, I guess that happens when you throw heavy things around all day working construction. I could lift tools weighing three hundred pounds into the truck and haul and stack cement blocks for hours on end. So the muscle actually made me too heavy for my height. Almost all body builders have the same problem. But, some doctors can't see anything other than what is on the chart. Many times I felt like taking that doctors scale and tossing it out in the parking lot. It only weighed about thirty pounds, anyone should be able to toss that twenty feet.

The problem I always had is throwing out my back. I have no clue why it kept giving me problems.

link   
a reply to: 38181

Rather eat meat and fat mmm mmm

pour some gravy on me

link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI
a reply to: trollz

Well the fat acceptance movement isn't helping. I don't fat shame people but saying they're healthy at 5'1 350lbs isn't helping

I agree... the body positivity movement means well (? I think) but they are telling kids and young adults that being fat is just as beautiful and (worse) healthy as being slim.

Lies.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

I feel like its pretty often overlooked that we consume an alarming amount of sugar.
A 12 ounce can of coke has twice your maximum recommended daily sugar intake in it. Cherry coke has more.

Sugar-free drinks have added artificial sweetners; Aspartame etc... those are bad. Even "natural" drinks like apple juice have been prepared in an environment with soya and sulphite. The hazards of mineral water is that the calcium and magnesium will help cause atherosclerosis. Other drinks contain caffeine which causes enlargement of the heart, not forgetting fructose corn syrup which is what really helps pile on the fat. Some brands of sausage roll are actually 50% fat.

I have to ask ...."Whats wrong with water?"

Best thing for quenching thirst? relatively cheap, straight from the tap.

Just as well Coke and other manufactures dont rely on me or my family

as they would be out of business by now.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: 38181
Research WheatBelly. stuff is in everything. Sugar, corn, and wheat diet equals obesity.

You are right on that, they have really messed up the wheat, and on top of that many people should not be eating wheat in the first place. A rye bread is better for many people, you do not have to go gluten free all the time. I tollerate light rye bread better, it does have some wheat in it but only half as much. Plus the kind I get is sort of sourdoughed, you raise it then put it in the fridge overnight. The rye enzymes break down the gluten. I can't make it at home, our fridge has many food odors in it, they get into the bread. So I buy it from a local source.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
I feel like its pretty often overlooked that we consume an alarming amount of sugar.

A 12 ounce can of coke has twice your maximum recommended daily sugar intake in it. Cherry coke has more.

It's near impossible to get only your maximum sugar intake in this country- and back before the low fat rush of the 70's, it didn't used to be that way.
They took the fat out of food and replaced it with sugar. Now it seems they're putting the fat back in, but leaving the sugar.

It's in everything. They even ferment and distill the stuff and dilute your gasoline with it. It's in your bread.
Try finding sausage or meat products without added sugar.

I agree about the sugar. I think it's honestly the worst thing most people eat except for.maybe artificial sugar replacements. It's basically just poison in the form it exists in most processed food.
edit on 26/2/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: VegHead

originally posted by: JDmOKI

Well the fat acceptance movement isn't helping. I don't fat shame people but saying they're healthy at 5'1 350lbs isn't helping

I agree... the body positivity movement means well (? I think) but they are telling kids and young adults that being fat is just as beautiful and (worse) healthy as being slim.

Lies.

Too skinny is not good either. A person does need a little fat on them, and for stamina in exercise, the liver does build up more capability to store more fat. It has to be cycled though. That way it does not become locked into the cells and unusable. Moderate movement is best, get rid of all remote controls and get up and change the channels.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   
The source you posted was about UK kids?

Or so I was lead to believe.

edit on 26-2-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I see what's going on your confusing america with the rest of the world my bad

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
This is all pretty stupid, really. As a baby boomer who knows quite a few mellinials within the same extended family, I can tell you that the majority of them are not overweight. The ones who are not overweight.......they don't eat their feelings, is what it all comes down to. At least from my perspective. It is not something that is socially acceptable to just come out and say, especially if they're family, but that's what it is. I don't agree with it, I believe that if you take off your filter you take it off for family before anyone else. But people being the shy, sensitive people that they are.............

So my numbers are the exact opposite of what RT claims in the UK version of their paper. This is what makes this topic stupid. Not every mellinial is sensitive, regardless of their country of origin. And even if they are, some still have the self-control to not eat themselves out their issues. And some of the one's who are overweight, they were raised to know better. They were shown by example the value of work, education and getting outside to be physically active. They just didn't take the bait.

You can't lump 75 million people in one age group as all being the same. It's just ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

LOL I know, right? It's like deliberately ignoring things like metabolism and the natural decreases in testosterone levels when males get in our 30s. Yet on the other hand, people also complain about the people who choose healthier lifestyles that don't contribute to obesity, like vegetarians, vegans, and "health freaks".

I live in a State that has a hefty obesity rate and that obesity includes all demographics. Yet fruits, veggies, and vegetarian/vegan items are hard to come by on most restaurant menus and fast food menus. And even if you can find them, they're usually deep fried, served in massive proportions, or mixed with other calorie heavy foods/condiments. I think it's our nation's obsession with fried foods, fatty meats, massive portions, overly sugary sweets, and overly salty snacks that have caused this health crisis.

Well, that and the constant refusal to do physical labor. People in this thread are attributing that to things like phones & office work, but I think it goes much further than that. For example, I still use a push lawn mower. I still use hedge shears instead of an electric hedge clipper. I like to exercise & go on multi-mile nature trails (though I'm not a bike rider). I clip our trees with a manual tree pruner; do garden work with basic tools like a shovel, hand shovel, etc. People cut out all forms of physical labor from their lives, don't keep track of their caloric intake, and eat massive servings of ridiculously unhealthy foods, yet then complain about obesity rates.

Don't get me wrong, I can understand why people use better technology to reduce the physical demands of work. It saves time and applies less stress on the body. Some people even need motorized tools because of physical ailments. But it also contributes to the unhealthy weight issue when combined with overeating.

I guess I just see it all as being related. Consume more calories than what the body needs and it stores that extra energy as adipose tissue (aka "fat"). Use more calories than what the body consumes and it starts burning the stored reserves of energy (aka "burns fat"). A gram of protein has the same amount of calories as a gram of carbs, yet people act surprised that eating a 12 ounce rib eye steak or a Double Thickburger with bacon and cheese will make them fat ("bu but it's full of protein!").

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Yep.

Overweight, little to no procreation, indoctrinated in stupidity - rely on the State for everything.

I could keep going but I'm pretty sure we can all see the USA is going down the crapper at such a rapid rate it's truly like a flush a toilet.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I honestly think the trend this shows is not so much with exercise, although I won't say that some of the 74% may need more of it. I think it shows what processed and food fillers are doing to the human body. We live in one of the worst food markets as far as additives and unnatural elements going into food products in the world here in the US. I doubt very much any other countries, especially ones with more natural foods, have such staggeringly poor numbers in this area.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
BRB gotta go get some deadlifts in and maybe run for a while do some plyometric workouts.

After that I gotta take some practice test for the CCENT exam I'm taking in 8 days (I feel pretty confident about the test already) and then I gotta lab it up with some OSPF routing protocols and IPV6 configurations for probably an hour or 2 after that.

Luckily today I don't have to go install any floors so I can dedicate myself to more study time.

#JustanotherlazyfatMillennial

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Remember when the ATS userbase called out propaganda for being propaganda and didn't just blindly believe it because it came from an alternative news source? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

I'm really hung up on that 74% statistic that is quoted but has no supporting studies or evidence in the RT piece to back it up. Obesity may be on the rise, but that doesn't excuse RT from lying about its threat.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
There's about 750 people in my building and many are overweight and not trying. The young are overweight at a younger age because of lack of exercise and hanging with the crowd that watches 40 hours of TV or games a week. They will die off early because they are on so many drugs to keep them alive.

Is there no fitness center in your building? I know in Canada, every condo block usually had it's own fitness center. The super large apartment blocks would have a franchise with a chain like 24-hour fitness. Smaller blocks might just have a treadmill and some weight machines that were part of the guest amenities. Of course, they could just walk up and down the stairs rather than take the elevator.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Remember when the ATS userbase called out propaganda for being propaganda and didn't just blindly believe it because it came from an alternative news source? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

I'm really hung up on that 74% statistic that is quoted but has no supporting studies or evidence in the RT piece to back it up. Obesity may be on the rise, but that doesn't excuse RT from lying about its threat.

It's part of the "blame the Millennials for everything" propaganda

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7
Can't lose weight living in your mom's basement.

I fall into the classification of millennial, but I'm not over weight, and everything else about me is opposite of my peers.

So you're saying you're actually special? That seems very millennial of you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join