It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are AR's used in mass shootings instead of AK's - so many reasons to choose AK's

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Zelun

You were doing so well too until you got to the last paragraph.

Why don't you try reading what the people who wrote the 2nd amendment actually had to say about it.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Almost every time I hear that a mass shooting has occurred with a rifle, I hear the phrase something like "the AR-15 assault rifle" nor often followed by "a weapon of war" or a "military grade weapon of war".

Because the mass media purposely singles it out.

The word of the day is AGENDA.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Well, help me out. I'm guessing you're referring to the Federalist Papers?

My impression, having read them, is that there were many opinions regarding what the 2nd was meant to be, but in the end it meant that the people have the right to bear arms so that raising a militia is quick and easy. There were protections against forcing people to take up arms against their religious beliefs, which is how we got "conscientious objectors" during the draft. In-context, the militia had been used to put down rebellion against the federal government, but there wasn't supposed to be a standing federal army in the first place.

What's your interpretation?

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

WHy are AR's used instead of AK's? A whole lot of reasons, but lets not forget that we are a community of trenders now. For evil people the media is basically advertising AR's.

Before people jump on the violent media doesn't cause violence train, there is a big difference in effect for most people when seeing real and fictional violence. Real violence seems to have more influence. Of course it come down to the individual.
edit on 26-2-2018 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Clyde Barrow favored a BAR.

Clyde’s BAR In 1932 a criminal acquaintance, Herbert Farmer, gave Clyde two Browning Automatic Rifles (BAR) he had stolen from a Missouri National Guard armory. Clyde immediately became enamored with the BAR because of its high rate of firepower and it’s .30-caliber bullets’ ability to penetrate automobile bodies easily. Apparently he maintained them carefully and always kept a couple of loaded guns within reach. In 1933 Clyde and W.D. Jones robbed National Guard armories in Enid, OK and in Plattville, IL. The booty from these robberies included several more BARs, Colt 1911 pistols, riot shotguns, various M1917 revolvers and large quantities of ammunition and magazines. Read more: www.gunsandammo.com...

Like Kirby's in the show "Combat"

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Never thought I would here a discussion on which gun is a better choice for mass shooting.

But I can tell you that anyone that has carried their own ammo around on a battle field will choose the lighter weapon and bullets because the can carry more rounds.
No soldier wants to run out of bullets.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Stores don't sell AKs ?

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   
For those saying this thread is about showing which gun is "better" for a mass shooting, that isn't the point at all. The point is to show how a specific gun is being vilified when there are other guns that get no attention at all. The old saying that all media is good media - or something like that. I have just found it odd that the choice for the weapon used has been this gun when there are others, not even the one I mentioned, that would be much more deadly in these situations and I didn't mention them on purpose. The thing about the AR is it is an "American" gun while the AK was developed in the old Soviet bloc countries but now made world wide.

I just think there is something fishy about the fact that this is basically the only gun that is used and the only gun that is singled out for the ire of the media. There are many factors that go into this but the fact that it is constant talk about the evil AR is what strikes me as odd. Could it be because so many "patriots" own these and it is the easiest way to attack them in a round about way?

I'm a member on a number of gun forums and I can say that there are A LOT of people who own AK's, maybe not as many that own AR's but I would say it is a close second.

As for the person who said I need to learn about calibers, you need to learn to read because I made it clear the differences and didn't make any mistakes about the differences in the calibers, sizes of bullets, or size of cartridge. Maybe you need to learn more about the rounds.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   
The reason AR's are so popular is because of how they look, the numerous accessories you can attach to them and how easy they are to get.

They are more of a fashion statement than anything else.

In my opinion, the AK is a much more reliable weapon in the hands of someone that knows how to use it.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   
This whole thread should be deleted by the mods..

All this speculation could be seen by the wrong people.. and get some ideas how to kill as many kids as fast as possible .

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   
So what are the sales figures like?

How many AR-15s have been sold in America compared to AKs?

I just tried to google that, and crikey, they don't even keep records on how many guns are sold. That's insane.

But apparently AKs are rare in America because there is a punitative import tax on them, and an AK might cost you around $15000? Along with a special background check from the FBI, LEO, and a 6 month waiting list.

So it would appear there actually are gun controls in America, just, on foreign guns....
edit on -06:00am29228America/ChicagoMon, 26 Feb 2018 09:29:27 -060056 by Painterz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22
No that’s not at all what this discussion is about my triggered friend. Back to the answer, AR-15S are the Hollywood and video game producers gun of choice. The bad guys use AK-47S. Mass shooters are the bad guys so it’s ironic at best. Our kids look to Hollywood for heroes, they sold a hell of a lot of Scareface posters over the years. a reply to: Misterlondon

I'm sorry to say but the AR-15 is not video game Developers gun of choice. I've been gaming for nearly thirty years and used a P-90, AA-12, MP5, SA-50, a Kalashnikov (a given) M-16, Derringer-the closest i've come to using an AR-15 was an AR-34. As for the scarface poster, I could be wrong but it looks like a M4 with a M203 attachment.

I might be wrong about the scarface gun but I am not wrong about the video game thing, trust me.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Never thought I would here a discussion on which gun is a better choice for mass shooting.

It’s a frighteningly morbid topic for sure.

But I can tell you that anyone that has carried their own ammo around on a battle field will choose the lighter weapon and bullets because the can carry more rounds.
No soldier wants to run out of bullets.

i don’t know if this is really the rationale though. Especially considering that the overwhelming majority of perpetrators of these cowardly attack’s couldn’t pass the ASVAB with a recruiter whispering the answers into their ear. Let alone actually serve their country. Plus, if I wanted to maximize my ammo and minimize my weight I’d opt for a 5.7 x 28 upper for my AR lower. It’s as simple as popping 2 pins and swapping out the upper receivers. The AR-57 comes with 50 round mags and they make a 100 round mag and neither of them are anywhere near as bulky and unwieldy to use as a large drum magazine on the AR-15. The 57 mag locks into place st the top of the upper receiver (this limits available optics and one of the only downsides to this configuration) snd spent brass is ejected through the magwell.

The weight of the 30 round AR-15 mag is comparable to the weight of a loaded, 50 round P90 mag used by the AR-57 and FN P90 so for nearly the same weight, you can carry 67% more ammo. I think the AR is just much more common and can easily be used by someone lacking the social skills it requires to obtain proper training on specific weapons platforms.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
So what are the sales figures like?

How many AR-15s have been sold in America compared to AKs?

I just tried to google that, and crikey, they don't even keep records on how many guns are sold. That's insane.

But apparently AKs are rare in America because there is a punitative import tax on them, and an AK might cost you around $15000? Along with a special background check from the FBI, LEO, and a 6 month waiting list.

So it would appear there actually are gun controls in America, just, on foreign guns....

The same laws, tax stamps, background checks, fingerprinting etc... they apply to the AK-47 also apply to any other weapon that can fire in full auto. The information you’re citing doesn’t apply to the semi-auto configuration that the OP was referringn to. It’s stuff like this that make a rational discussion about firearms laws and restrictions so confusing because the popular names for some firearms are taken from their fully automatic forebearers.

The readers digest version is that if one has the money and the patience to deal with all of the legal hurdles then one can legally own a rifle that can fire full auto (or a machine gun for that matter) but the weapon needs to have been built before 1986. No new builds can be purchased in a configuration capable of firing full auto.

Again, it’s inoortant to note that AK-47 is essentially a generic name for a weapons platform with many variations built in many different countries. This includes semi automatic rifles that are completely legal in the US and less expensive on average(varies by state and by what the particular firearms laws in those states are), than an AR-15.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   

In 1997 North Hollywood, two robbers robbed a bank and got into a shoot out with the cops. One of them used an AK 47.

edit on 2/26/2018 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof

As for the person who said I need to learn about calibers, you need to learn to read because I made it clear the differences and didn't make any mistakes about the differences in the calibers, sizes of bullets, or size of cartridge. Maybe you need to learn more about the rounds.

From your OP:

The 5.56mm - .223 caliber which is almost identical to the .22LR bullet.

Completely wrong.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Yep. It doesn't matter what game it is, always prioritise the AK. Like you said, it's a given.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

that's because registers that track people with guns are illegal and violate the constitution; the second and the fifth amendment to be exact.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   
What stands out to me over the 2 platforms is the reload speed and reload difficulty.

IDK if you have ever tried to quickly swap mags for an AK but if you are not experienced you can easily mess this up and cause the magazine to not sit properly causing a jam or malfunction.

The AK you need both hands on the weapon to take the mag out. One had to hold the weapon the other to push the thumb release and take the mag out. This takes time and then you still have to put another magazine and rack the bolt to get a round in the chamber. taking more time.

The AR, on the other hand, has a very simple magazine feed allowing you to swap mags quickly.

With the AR you can drop a mag from the gun with one hand with just a button release. Allowing your other hand to be free to grab a magazine quickly.

Also, when an AR runs dry the bolt will lock open allowing you put a new mag in and "Slap" the side of the weapon to move the bolt forward to rack a round for you. Dramatically increasing reload speed. Where the AK doesn't lock the bolt so each reload you gotta pull the bolt back and let it fly forward.

This is why I believe most shooters use the AR. I would say the AK takes a good 6-10 seconds longer to reload for even an experienced person.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
The reason AR's are so popular is because of how they look, the numerous accessories you can attach to them and how easy they are to get.

They are more of a fashion statement than anything else.

In my opinion, the AK is a much more reliable weapon in the hands of someone that knows how to use it.

Most attachments you can think of for an AR you can find for an AK

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join