It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Called to School Because ‘Math Symbol Looked like a Gun’

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Sure it could have been handled better. Probably would have been good to send his ass to the principal for a good talking to, then a call from the principal to his parents with some guidelines on how to teach your kid to behave better in public.

THANK YOU!

That is all I am saying... the reaction was overboard. A simple trip to the principal's office would have handled it, with much less dramatization than a visit from the sheriff. The police are there to handle serious offenses, not simple disciplinary or inappropriateness issues. All day I have been hearing, "let the teachers teach and the security handle the guns," but here we have a clear case of not letting the school's own disciplinary system operate properly.

Is what happened the end of the world? No (that's not an implied yes). It's what tends to happen when people get "gun shy" from recent traumatizing events.

No, it's not the end of the world, just a teensy tiny step in that direction at best. But as for what happens when people get gun shy? This is exactly what we do NOT need to happen! We do NOT need to jump to conclusions without some basis. There was plenty of basis for concern when Nikolas Cruz got trigger-happy; there was no basis for a conclusion here... only knee-jerk, ill-informed hysteria over a conversation about a math symbol.

Student 1: "Hey, man, do you know why 6 was afraid of 7?"
Student 2: "No, why?"
Student 1: "Because 7 8 9!"
School cop: "You have to come with me to the police station now. You're being charged with cannibalism."

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

That is all I am saying... the reaction was overboard.

So were the dumb jokes about being afraid of math symbols. No one in the class was scared of math symbols. No one in the class was upset about comments that the square root sign looked like a gun.

Student 1: "Hey, man, do you know why 6 was afraid of 7?"
Student 2: "No, why?"
Student 1: "Because 7 8 9!"
School cop: "You have to come with me to the police station now. You're being charged with cannibalism."

More unnecessary hyperbole.

posted on Feb, 26 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Perhaps, but sometimes people will react to over-the-top actions with over-the-top reactions. It is to be expected.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Americans are getting dumber by tbe minute. The flouride is doing its job well.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: radarloveguy

Oh no, 7 8 9 ?! Call the police, that's called MURDER!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join