It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NRA gives Ajit Pai “courage award” and gun for “saving the Internet”

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Killing net neutrality helps Pai win award for "standing up under pressure."

The National Rifle Association (NRA) today gave its Charlton Heston Courage Under Fire Award to Ajit Pai, chairman of the Federal Communications Commission.

"Ajit Pai, as you probably already know, saved the Internet," American Conservative Union (ACU) Executive Director Dan Schneider told the audience. The ACU is the host of CPAC; Schneider made a few more remarks praising Pai before handing the award presentation over to NRA board member Carolyn Meadows.

Pai "fought to preserve your free speech rights" as a member of the FCC's Republican minority during the Obama administration, Schneider said. Pai "fought and won against all odds, but the Obama administration had some curveballs and they implemented these regulations to take over the Internet."

"As soon as President Trump came into office, President Trump asked Ajit Pai to liberate the Internet and give it back to you," Schneider added. "Ajit Pai is the most courageous, heroic person that I know."

Link

He saved the internet and free speech?

Is the NRA is filled with out of touch leaders.

This makes me wonder about the NRA. Changes my opinion of them somewhat.

From a comment:

And yet without Net Neutrality, the NRA could legally be silenced by ISPs who want nothing to do with the organization. Irony.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I would like to think the NRA just shot them self in the foot with many people but I suppose the majority who support them either don't care or know about NN.

I know there are some exceptions here but they are is most likely part of the small percentage of the members who care.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

I understand the issue, I supported Paj's effort, and I just joined the NRA... what's your theory now?

Most of the NN worshippers are not friends of the NRA to begin with, so their opinions don't really mean squat to the NRA... but it's apparently fun as hell to troll them as the NRA just did here.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

So it's just a joke. I'm OK with that play. I feel for those who believe the NRA is pointing out reality.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   

When I was a kid, the NRA was about gun safety, hunting, sports shooting for the most part. Today they have become just another political body who's main purpose has seemed to have changed from, safety and hunting, to the love of the all mighty dollar and the love of power.

Time for a new organization that focuses on gun safety, hunting and target sports.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInsite

It's a double edged sword. The politicians don't want you to be armed.

How will the non political gun club shoot with no guns?

They could do a bb gun club, while that's still allowed.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

I understand the issue, I supported Paj's effort, and I just joined the NRA... what's your theory now?

Most of the NN worshippers are not friends of the NRA to begin with, so their opinions don't really mean squat to the NRA... but it's apparently fun as hell to troll them as the NRA just did here.

Or without net neutrality the NRA could be silenced.
Or ISPs could throttle their website so that it would take a few minutes to load. Or longer between pages.

Seems like the NRA are falling out of favor with their corporate sponsors. Less money to kiss ass to the ISPs which is a bad thing for them. But yay Capitalism! Bring on more cat memes!

edit on 24-2-2018 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-2-2018 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInsite

When I was a kid, the NRA was about gun safety, hunting, sports shooting for the most part. Today they have become just another political body who's main purpose has seemed to have changed from, safety and hunting, to the love of the all mighty dollar and the love of power.

Time for a new organization that focuses on gun safety, hunting and target sports.

They still do a ton of gun safety work, where they're invited to do it. It's not like back in the day where you could come to a school and talk about it. The education system is mostly run by anti-gun leftists.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

They still do a ton of gun safety work, where they're invited to do it. It's not like back in the day where you could come to a school and talk about it. The education system is mostly run by anti-gun leftists.

Prove it.
Show me where school boards, which are elected, are overwhelmingly run by anti gun leftists.

Otherwise, that is an opinion.
Show the facts.
Or

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear

Prove it.
Show me where school boards, which are elected, are overwhelmingly run by anti gun leftists.

Show the facts.
Or

Every school in America agreed without argument to install "Gun Free Zone" signs on their buildings. Obama signed off on it. Teacher's unions are full metal jacket liberal tree hugging leftists Isn't that proof? What kind of proof do you need to understand reality?

edit on 24-2-2018 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I remember me and Phage discussing what specific lines would allow the ISP's to "silence views/people. I know I was not provided with anything specific, and managed to point out that all many protections against just such activity remained in place with the Telecommunications acts from the 90's. I think I did a pretty good job of debunking that whole theory actually.

Now If I can only find it. How do I search for a thread that we both posted in involving net neutrality? I was on a ball man and am pretty sure I did a damn good job of debunking the whole censorship thing by posting the exact wording from the different acts.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Without Net Neutrality, the NRA will be silenced?

Should be interesting to see, and ironic if it happens.

But then again, if the NRA is silenced, won't that make leftists happy?

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

originally posted by: the owlbear

Prove it.

Show the facts.
Or

Every school in America agreed without argument to install "Gun Free Zone" signs on their buildings. Obama signed off on it. Teacher's unions are full metal jacket liberal tree hugging leftists Isn't that proof? What kind of proof do you need to understand reality?

You said the education system is mostly run by anti-gun leftists.

School boards are elected positions. I have never seen one that is overwhelming liberal or anti-gun (although why a school board candidate/member needs to make their gun rights feelings known is rather odd) since property taxes are tied to school funds.
Most school boards are rather conservative. Or split fairly evenly.

My ex works for one of those evil teachers unions...
And you couldn't be more wrong. I know the people who work there.
What are you basing your OPINIONS on?
Not facts, obviously.

top topics

join