It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We really will get gun control this time- at least a token

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Thought experiment. Define military weaponry. Or weapons of war, if you like.

Military weapon;

Black,looks scary, makes loud noises, and shoots off at the mouth a lot, blows smoke?

Oh never mind, I was thinking of something else.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

Soon enough you'll get enough people that don't want freedom

Freedom is not having to worry about being shot.

Getting shot never been and never will be one of my worries.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   
It always happens, People toss solutions which have no bearing on the problem. All the laws and restrictions were in place to stop this insane child, but the system failed at every point. 39 reports of this kids problems. Open online proclamation to his intent; Calls, incidences of his behavior, enough to prosecute for terrorism I would think. Here's the failure as far as I can see. Nothing was every pursued in this young mans case. Nothing was done officially thus anyone who might have acted, had no judgments, no charges, no official enforcement they could act upon. Obviously there was enough to claim mental impairment to prevent him from buying guns. It even seems there is enough for the local police to confiscate what weapons he had. You cannot act without due process when you are an officer unless you have witnessed something that you can articulate. Or you yourself have been given such information by a credible informant, to which even that is best pursued through a court order or warrant. Or yours, the officers, butt is in the sling for violating a persons rights. Unless there is an imminent threat you have reasonable suspicion will occur.

This kid had lots of information provided by School and others to have had a case made and heard way before the events of the shooting.

Laws were there, laws which would have worked had they been acted upon. Laws formed to preserve the rights of millions of law abiding Americans while providing an expectation of safety for those choosing to not own a weapon. the A semi An automatic rifle did not kill those children.
Negligence did.
Even had all the laws been in place and working, this madman had a selection of anything which could be used as a weapon; Truck, knives, bombs, what ever. Had he been engaged by officers waiting outside, I feel sure he would have crumbled like a coward when faced with weapons being discharged in his direction. Weapons fire intended to kill you, is not easy to be dealt with even by trained troops.

Failure and inaction, poor choices, negligence are the tools which killed these young adults and children. If we attack the tool of the aggressor, we are not addressing the problem. Laws tightened to make sure information of mental illness or violent tendencies is processed and followed through, I am sure will eventually be abused at sometime in the future. But is the best endeavor at this time. Arm teachers who do not daily face interaction with armed suspects, is only a matter of time before it presents an incident in itself . . .but yet better then nothing for now.

In my day we did not have school shooting like you see today. Whats different between yesterday and today?
I won't say it because it will be ridiculed. I wont say faith because people will think its some sort of attempt at conversion. I wont say morals, because my generation was very immoral, but we still had a sense of right and we still understood Values. My generation with all its personnel freedom demonstrations and all it's peace marches. Stole from the youth which came after us and the youth now in Schools your sense of responsibility and your values and your faith.

Whats the answer . . .Make the laws work smoothly which we have on the books. Arm the teachers and preachers for now. Build jails for the lost and confused. Support the youth who show promise in good ideals. Raise up the next generation to the cardinal values as taught in the pages of many faiths. Those which are in common, love, faith, truth, peace and prudent thinking.

a reply to: CB328

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   

it won't stop crazy people killing others

So if you're in a building that gets shot up would you prefer the shooter to have a semi auto or fully automatic weapon?? You don't think a lot less people will die in semi auto mode?

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   

What law will prevent the actions up to and beyond that point in time?

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   

So if you're in a building that gets shot up would you prefer the shooter to have a semi auto or fully automatic weapon??

Semi.

Less sewing.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   
It's also illegal to falsely pull a fire alarm too. But people, including the recent shooter, have done it.

Ju's saying.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

So if you're in a building that gets shot up would you prefer the shooter to have a semi auto or fully automatic weapon??

Semi.

Less sewing.

I say fully auto would preferred because they are a frigging beast to remain accurate even to hit the side of a barn....less chance of actually killing people. The fully auto selection is mainly for suppression fire. That’s why the military uses 3round burst. Fully auto is practically useless against an actual target unless it’s on a bipod or small arms in the pistol cartridges. Also if he blows through rounds too quickly you usually run into barrels and receivers welding. It’s not a question of how fast you can make a bullet cycle but how effectively you can aim and hit the intended target
edit on 24-2-2018 by agentblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: agentblue

Alright then.

I changed my mind.

You convinced me.

Bump stock.

If I am going to get shot.

I want shot by a bump stock.

a 1 in 30 chance of getting hit.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Your damn idiot gun control laws are what keep getting kids killed.

You are all a bunch of effing idiots if you cant see being gun free zones are the reason they are targeted.

If you want the madness to end then give teachers back the right to defend themselves. Give them back their gun rights and you will stop seeing crazy shooters targeting schools.

edit on 24-2-2018 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: rickymouse
Nobody really needs a bumpstock. The only way that is good is if your firing into a mass crowd and trying to hit anything. A well aimed bullet works way better. It is hard to get the second shot back on target with a bumpstock.

There are a lot of things people don't need...

Bump stocks are mainly for "entertainment" much like you don't need a car that goes 0 to 60 in 3 seconds or has a top speed of 200mph. No one is trying to ban Porsche's because some asshat decides to speed and winds up killing a family on the highway.

What....but a fast car was a necessity when I was eighteen years old. I got pulled over for doing fifty five in a twenty five MPH zone one time, I got a warning. The cop said if I had been going forward he would have given me a ticket. He said nobody would have believed him. I got bitched out by my uncle who was the water commissioner the next day at the beach. He had me on radar, I actually saw the speed cause I said cars do not go that fast in reverse. Well, to be honest, I didn't know how fast I was going, back then speedometers did not read anything when you went in reverse.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Your damn idiot gun control laws are what keep getting kids killed.

You are all a bunch of effing idiots if cant see gun free zones are the reason they are targeted.

If you want the madness to end then give teachers back the right to defend themselves. Give them back their gun rights and you will stop seeing crazy shooters targeting schools.

Ever consider that is the "secret reason" they got passed?

*** WARNING *** Conspiracy Ahead
If you market a law (gun free schools that you know will get kids shot and killed) but sell it as a "safety solution" it will get passed by the unwary ignorant masses. Then, when the inevitable happens, and kids are gunned down in these gun free schools, you get your MSM mouthpieces to blast it everywhere. That assures the largest number of people get outraged. The national outcry will be so massive, the ultimate goal of complete gun confiscation becomes an acceptable solution to these ignorant masses. All unaware that they are being massively played to call for the removal of their personal right to defense.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Soon enough you'll get enough people that don't want freedom

Freedom is not having to worry about being shot.

Have you considered going to prison? You don't have to worry about being shot. Shanked, maybe. But you could always try to get the warden pass rules to limit shank length.

Aside from that, everyone there shares your views when it comes to other people having rights. You don't have to worry about being exposed to deplorable Trump supporters, because no one can vote. Lots of diversity and equal rights for all, regardless or race, creed, color or gender.

Sounds like it has all the freedom you want.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   

So much for that plan...
To actually regulate something one must know something about the subject matter.
Wouldn't you agree?
Then why are you talking about guns?...
Again?...
*sigh*

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Serious accidents are higher now than I ever remember, when people did not wear seat belts they were more cautious.

At least you sated this as an opinion and not a fact. But the facts show the less deaths since common since regulation , such as seat belts, was put in place. www.cdc.gov...

If your using this as an argument against common since regulation...

the people in Washington would take away everyone's guns and create a more dependent society if they could.

So it is fear that drives your thoughts in these maters?

Do you honestly believe that trump and the gop would take our guns if we just let them? I really don't think that trump would do that, but that's just my opinion.
I don't even think the majority of dems want to take all guns. At least none of my dem friends feel that way.
My liberal friends on the other hand....but thankfully the lebs are only a small part of the dem party. Loud but small.

edit on 25-2-2018 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Marco Rubio, Rick Scott, and President Trump are now all on record as supporting banning Bump stocks. Admittedly a very weak form of gun control, but a very welcome move. Scott and I believe Trump as well are also supporting raising the age for purchasing assault rifles, which is even more important IMO. Now with companies starting to divest from the NRA I can't see us not getting at least one or two gun restrictions in the near future.

qz.com...

digg.com...

www.cnn.com...

Good thing I already own one. Oh my... does that scare you? It shouldn't...

Anyone with half a #ing brain can simulate a bump stock by sticking their finger through their belt loop.

Useless garbage feel good legislation.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 02:07 AM
link   

it won't stop crazy people killing others

So if you're in a building that gets shot up would you prefer the shooter to have a semi auto or fully automatic weapon?? You don't think a lot less people will die in semi auto mode?

Full auto with semi auto its 1 shot one kill. If they are doing spray and pray odds are better they will miss. This is why military are trained with 3 round bursts. After the third round the rifle is off target and those bullets miss. I would-be far more scared of a guy with a shotgun and a 9 mil because I know he knows what hes doing. And I know that means my odds of survival is decreased.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: aethertek

originally posted by: JinMI

Thought experiment. Define military weaponry. Or weapons of war, if you like.

Curious to the views on this.

An AR-15 is a weapon of war since other than cyclic rate it's the same weapon as the US Military M-16.

& as you people have repeatedly pointed out the fire rate of a Civilian model AR-15 can be increased with a bump stock or a rubber-band to that of a Military grade M-16.

K~

And so can any semi auto weapon. What makes the AR15 different than other semi-auto weapons?

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

That's an AK, not an AR. It has wood, so not scary enough, certainly not a "weapon of war". (even though ti is the preferred weapon of most enemies of the US)

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Talk is cheap.a reply to: CB328

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join