It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quoting long OP's on the first page.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   
This really does my nut in, I read a great well written thread and then scroll down to read the replies and someone has quoted the OP on the first page so It just clutters up the page....
So please for my mental health do try to quote the long OP's a couple of pages in you do not need to quote it on the first page of replies seeing we have just ruddy read it!.
Tally Ho carry on rant over

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Scrolling a little more is hard.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

Not only that but they normally answer with a short answer after quoting a massive post.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

Those seconds add up! I'm getting old they are worth more than anything those are.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

Oooooooooo yup that really gets me goat up.
An example If I may?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 23-2-2018 by testingtesting because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
Scrolling a little more is hard.

I think it's more or less the fact that this site is filled with a whole bunch of OCD weirdos (I'm one of them) who hate the useless clutter in what could otherwise be a nice clean first page.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Thats why I love ATS we are all weirdos in it together

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   
There should be a law that forces content creators to only have one paragraph!

Oh the humanity!

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Not my point at all.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
This really does my nut in, I read a great well written thread and then scroll down to read the replies and someone has quoted the OP on the first page so It just clutters up the page....
So please for my mental health do try to quote the long OP's a couple of pages in you do not need to quote it on the first page of replies seeing we have just ruddy read it!.

I will try and respect your wishes.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
There should be a law that forces content creators to only have one paragraph!

Oh the humanity!

I think his point is maybe people don't need to quote a whole page of content to respond to one sentence....

After all, most of us read the whole OP already.... Although we have those trigger happy boogers who jump the gun before reading the whole point.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   

a reply to: CriticalStinker

Thats why I love ATS we are all weirdos in it together

Home away from home planet .

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I usually only quote shorter posts, or snippets of posts, then just use the "reply" button for massive posts. I guess it's just many years of learning forum etiquette.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Is it just me or do we lose 'ex' bracket code content when quoting a post?

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: kurthall

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Righting wrongs early today are you?

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   

a reply to: neo96

Not my point at all.

Nothing changes

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   
The site officially agrees with you- because the habit uses up too much bandwidth, I think. That's why Mods will sometimes intervene and cut out a long quotation.
Sometimes it seems that newer members are using the Quote button simply because they haven't discovered the Reply button yet, and they haven't grasped that a quotation can be cut down to the small portion they actually need as a reference.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Member should use thee REPLY button.
Like I did

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   

I hear you.

The first time I saw something like this was in 2005...or was it 2006? I can't remember but this guy was talking about a Bigfoot sighting and he was adamant that I was wrong, so I began a treatise on how the history of the bigfoot could be traced back to cro magnon days where the ancient cave paintings depicted a hairy humanoid, and I argued that the cave paintings were depictions of an Ibex, or an oxen depending on your location.

Then we got talking about the Patterson-Gimlin tape and I told him it was financed by a man who offered the pair tens of thousands of dollars to make a "mockumentary" about bigfoot, and the suit was made by a circus costume artist. Soon after the topic turned to UFO's and we talked about Roswell and the possibility that is was earthy in origin, given the site and location we determined that the original location may have been the Tonopah Test Range, 'where all go planes go to die.'

Then we discussed actor Jackie Gleason's relationship with president Nixon and what the actor-

Sorry for screwing with you I couldn't help myself, here is a S&F to ease your pain.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join