It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uber Eats driver shoots and kills customer during delivery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   
bgr.com...

It all happened in Atlanta, Georgia, where an Uber Eats driver allegedly shot a customer multiple times during a food delivery. The 30-year-old man died from multiple gunshot-inflicted injuries, NBC affiliate WSBTV says. A neighbor said that he heard five gunshots go off outside the victim’s apartment. Ryan Thornton died soon after at Grady Memorial Hospital.

Police said that Thornton received his food order by 11:30 PM, and walked away from the delivery car. Words may have been exchanged, the police say, and that’s when the shooting is said to have occurred. The driver, who hasn’t yet been identified, took off in a white Volkswagen.

Uber said in a statement that it’s shocked and saddened, and the company is working with the police on the matter. Uber drivers aren’t allowed to carry guns, per the company’s policy. But as Gizmodo points out, it’s unknown if the company ever conducts random checks to see if drivers comply with the rule.

Another sad case of some random terrible violence in the world.
I don't have a lot to add there wasn't much to the story. Though I don't understand how the company wouldn't know what drivers take which deliveries....that seems fairly ridiculous to me.
edit on 20/2/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
We were in ATL this weekend for a Chinese Rap concert- and we were talking about how kind and patient every person we met down there was from the people walking around downtown, to the World Of Coke, to the suburbs we cruised through, even at the concert everyone was so great I don't even think anyone honked at us once for being the slow ass ohioans. (doing 70 in the slow lane in a 55 getting passed up like peasants)

This is uh..... interesting. We were on our way home by that time just glad we weren't in that area- concert had ended at 11.

I remember saying how much safer I felt in Atlanta than I did in Cincinnati and we discussed the murder rates we saw for ATL was around 4 per 100k and Cincinnati is about 11 or more per 100k......

Wow..... silly loss of life.

-Alee
edit on 2/20/2018 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Well there went his tip.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I read that as an Uber eating it's driver and then shooting someone.
I though wow the cars nowadays.
I'm off to find some good news it is getting me down all this bad news.
Anyone remember John Cravens newsround? it always ended on a bit of good news.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   
lmfao. uber drivers are not allowed to carry guns. because there are uber police checking on them.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

doing 70 in the slow lane in a 55 getting passed up like peasants)

Welcome to Atlanta, lol.

At least you weren't one of the jerks going 55 in the fast lane in a 70 mph zone, as is equally customary.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   

He claims self defense.

Bivines' attorney, Jackie Patterson, calls this a case of self-defense.

"This is a case where my client had no choice but to defend himself," he said.

Patterson said Thornton was irate that it took a while for his food to arrive. He said Thornton was aggressive and as Bivines walked away, Thornton made a threatening move.

"He turned around put his hand in his pocket and said, 'I'm going to (bleep) you up,'" Patterson said.

Patterson said Bivines was afraid to wait to see what Thornton had in his pocket so he said he defended himself.

WSBTV

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

I read it exactly the same way...and said to myself, WTF???? LOL!! I'm sitting there thinking someone wrote a bad headline...or the Uber dude killed and ate his customer while taking him to the pizza joint!

I had to go read the link and intro paragraph a couple of times to understand what the heck they were talking about! I didn't realize 'Uber-Eats' was a subset of Uber itself.

----doesn't 'Uber'. Out here it would be a stagecoach.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Never know whom you are dealing with out there. Think twice before you hurl insults at people on the street, turn your back and walk away.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I thought this was a cannibalism thread.

*slams door*

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Welcome to Atlanta, lol.

At least you weren't one of the jerks going 55 in the fast lane in a 70 mph zone, as is equally customary.

The funniest thing we saw was someone doing 70 in the far left lane with a state trooper riding his booty HARD! slamming his breaks every few seconds behind the fella, then another lane opened up (y'all got a lot of lanes!) and the cop goes into that lane and of course at the same time the slow guy in front of him gets over. We start going "OOOOHHHHHH" In the car, and as we are doing that the cop turns his lights on and the dude gets right back over hahahahhah it was great. Never honked, never pulled him over for going so slow in front of him just flashed his lights and that was enough.

Well, there's always one bad apple or we wouldn't have murder rates I suppose.

-Alee

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Welcome to Atlanta, lol.

Ahhh... 285, Atlanta's Nascar track.

I was born and raised in Atlanta. I can't believe how bad the traffic has gotten down there.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   

we are going to have to ban people soon

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
I read that as an Uber eating it's driver and then shooting someone.

Yes, I was disappointed when I realised this was not about a cannibal Uber driver. I feel guilty that I was disappointed, because it was a brutal murder instead.

On topic. Just another nut-job killing.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   
They know which drivers took the delivery, it is traceable just as any data is. When you accept, it will of course log into the servers that you did. How long you took, where you went, GPS data, where you went afterwards...

The FBI will find him...

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

The FBI will find him...

He turned himself in.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 01:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Welcome to Atlanta, lol.

Ahhh... 285, Atlanta's Nascar track.

I was born and raised in Atlanta. I can't believe how bad the traffic has gotten down there.

What Atlanta interstate isn't like a Nascar track? Going 20 over the posted limit and you still get almost run over. 285 just happens to appropriately circular, lol.

Yeah, the traffic blows. Bottlenecks everywhere. Not to mention that people absolutely cannot drive.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 03:06 AM
link   

I thought this was a funny statement: "Uber drivers aren’t allowed to carry guns, per the company’s policy. "

top topics

join