It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma schools go on 4-day weeks so teachers can work at Walmart on Mondays to make rent

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 04:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

originally posted by: MisterSpock

originally posted by: underwerks
And people wonder why kids are eating laundry detergent.

They do it because they are stupid, I say eat up.

Why deny Darwin his prize.

They are stupid because of the lack of education, to live in this messed-up world you need to learn how.

You seem to be implying these people are born stupid and if you are you are spectacularly wrong.

Why is it messed up?

Do they even know what sex they are?

You don't know why the world is messed up..... Like really? You think it's all rainbows and lollipops, I can't spell it out for you, you simply have to open your eyes and pay attention, give it try....

For you second question, WTF are you going on about?

I know more than you think.

Like the fact that you have no idea what you are talking about.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 04:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

They do it because they are stupid, I say eat up.

Why deny Darwin his prize.

They are stupid because of the lack of education, to live in this messed-up world you need to learn how.

You seem to be implying these people are born stupid and if you are you are spectacularly wrong.

Why is it messed up?

Do they even know what sex they are?

You don't know why the world is messed up..... Like really? You think it's all rainbows and lollipops, I can't spell it out for you, you simply have to open your eyes and pay attention, give it try....

For you second question, WTF are you going on about?

I know more than you think.

Like the fact that you have no idea what you are talking about.

You may see that as an insult, however as you are completely nuts it's all good.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 05:07 AM
link   
They've been passing out high school diplomas like participation trophies to kids who can't read or write for decades. We can pass out pieces of paper without teachers

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 05:23 AM
link   
good teachers have been bailing for some time and its not trumps fault, its the governors fault and the state legislatures fault, followed closely by the teachers union and then the state lobbyists.

Fallin is a useless pants suit in that office who routinely makes arbitrary decisions against what the people voted for, the state legislature is owned by the lobbyists.

The Union played a part in this as well, there were some schools several years ago that were used to try new ways of teaching, focusing on science and math. State negotiated the right to hire new teachers with the union. To try and make sure they only had energetic teachers in the school, and it worked well they were the best performing places in the state by far.

Along came a budget crunch and the union without missing a beat fired all those young teachers that were performing so well and put older teachers in and even though the curriculum did not change these schools performance drove off a cliff.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

I guess I am confused about this post. If the system can't pay teachers enough, then the system will need to change. In NC we had this problem. Then we got a great governor, and the system started to improve. Good leadership is key. And they might be dem or they might be Repub. But I suppose the easy thing to do is just assign blame and point. That's good for nothing leadership.

(BTW, we lost our leadership and are now moving backwards)

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Another "double-edged sword" is the lack of a teacher's union. It keeps the salary down, but it also offers un-proven or young teachers or educators with little experience the chance to gain said experience. Unfortunately, we see many of those instructors move to adjacent states with higher pay rates.

I took no issue with your post, just interested in the discussion from someone from my state. It is a state's rights issue after all...

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
They should just disband the schools.

Home schools do just fine.

Problem solved

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Yeah they should just eat bleach like they used to.

Or stick things in outlet sockets.

Maybe...kids just do dumb things, and always will, because they are kids.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dookie Master
a reply to: network dude

Another "double-edged sword" is the lack of a teacher's union. It keeps the salary down, but it also offers un-proven or young teachers or educators with little experience the chance to gain said experience. Unfortunately, we see many of those instructors move to adjacent states with higher pay rates.

I took no issue with your post, just interested in the discussion from someone from my state. It is a state's rights issue after all...

BS

The reason the schools are broke is because they don't save money. They don't save money because if they don't spend their budget they cant go back and ask for the same next year or more. It's a wicked system fueled by greed and pork. It has nothing to do with anything other than that.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: burgerbuddy
WHOA dude, have you lived in Oklahoma or anywhere that a tornado can happen with no warning. My guess is no. There is a saying in Oklahoma, “if you don’t like the weather, wait a minute”.

You stole that from Texas. Like everything else Oklahoma steals from here, including sales taxes and wages when people move there and work here.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I've been looking for a site that rates each states teachers. Don't seem to be able to find anything out there

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

School budgets, in NC, are semi-developed through lical budgets, especially salaries. I'm not exactly sure how schools can be "greedy". It's true, schools have higher budgets, that can be attributed to technology in the schools. One huge change is students do not get actual books any longer. It's all digital, which is another curse in general. School systems cannot show a profit, so, by nature of the beast, they cannot bring in money, only spend it.

There needs to be change, for sure. I don't believe it's so simple.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Walmart could make their own schools, inserting subliminal ads for products in the text books to help pay the teachers salary.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Typical red state no taxes on the rich, starve the kids, and ruin the state like the Kansas fanatic who ruined Kansas by drastically cutting taxes and thinking trickle down would work.

Now Trump is trying to do that on the federal level and ruin America.

He may succeed if people don'y wake up
edit on 18-2-2018 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
They should just disband the schools.

Home schools do just fine.

Problem solved

Unless the parents are stupid, then they just pass the stupidity on to their children.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Here, the problem is the high cost of the pensions of the teachers and the big salaries and great benefits of teachers who get over twenty years. They do not want to retire. The new teachers do not make a living wage while the teachers with over twenty years start to make more than most people around here do. I think that they should go back and change that, there should not be a doubling of teachers salaries when they hit twenty years from what new teachers get. On top of that most teachers start out part time as subs and they do not make enough working half time and they do not get benefits. They may have to do that for three years, if they want the insurance, they can actually lose money while they work.

There is a major problem around here with this.

That's nice, but we're talking about Oklahoma.

I live here, and a parent and my parent's parents were teachers.

The pay has been bad for a very, very long time.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: aethertek
Meh that's what happens when your state votes overwhelmingly Republican.

OT- Oklahoma is going to get screwed more since Trump just cut funding for meteorology & storm tracking.

K~

Need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows?

Go outside once in a while!

You ain't from around here.

Weather can kill you.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

You know, it's funny but nothing I ever learned in sex ed has ever helped me get a job, earn a paycheck, or function in today's society. Sex ed doesn't teach you how to run a functional budget or how to manage your household. Judging by what I see in society, it's questionable how well it even teaches some people how to avoid certain facts of life.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

They need a deal with the state SCOTUS like Kansas has. If the state doesn't write a big enough budget for the schools, the education dept just takes the legislature to court and the SCOTUS says, "Sorry, that's not fair; you have to spend at least X amount in order for it to be fair." Then the legislature has to go back and increase the education budget at least that much.

Happens every year like clockwork.

At this point, half the annual budget of the entire state is sunk into education.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   
And the Right continues to act like there's still money in the budget to arm teachers.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join