It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DEA Seizing CBD oil across Texas, other States

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: wakeupstupid

I wish you the ability to grown your own hemp field and make your own oil if you wish it so!

We should all have this right.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

Regarding Kratom, you're spot-on. There's not a 'silver bullet' in tackling the Opioid/Opiate epidemic, but Kratom is, by far and away, a better maintenance option in assisting those who are addicted/physically-dependent on Opioid/Opiates in comparison to methadone and/or buprenorphine (suboxone). And the nation NEEDS it! The Opioid/Opiate epidemic will have far-reaching effects for decades, and the FDA is practicing a level of malfeasance that is beyond criminal and the public health costs are only going to continue to sky-rocket if Kratom isn't allowed to be a part of the toolkit in combating the epidemic. I could go on and on about the public health costs (an old colleague is project director of the National Survey on Drug Use and Health...the data keeps pouring in on the true public health costs...it's staggering even to those who have received this contract for the last 25 years -- it's an order of magnitude higher than the 80s crack epidemic).

Regarding CBD, I don't have any personal experience (CBD in combination with THC is an entirely different story, though) but have found that it helps my rescued pit-bull immensely with her separation anxiety. An eye-dropper full under the tongue and I can come home without any blinds broken/trash pilfered/etc., etc. Another thing: a friend had an aneurysm a couple years back and was on copious meds...he found CBD at a local headshop 6 months ago and has weaned off several of those meds -- his doc isn't completely on board, yet, but each check-up continues to amaze his doc.

This isn't the thread, but once more draconian guidance is giving by the FDA and acted upon the DEA, I'll make a thread with the requisite resources to make our voices heard. We can stave off this infringement of personal liberty and remind the government we still demand sovereignty of our minds.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Shouldn't they be shaking down opiate distribution or something? Well in the spirit of action reaction , perhaps this move by the DEA will result in something positive. The people will stand..
FYI, there is a Federal lawsuit that began this week to challenge the DEA and DOJ's position on cbd and a trial is actually happening. This is a first because usually the judges won't even hear the evidence/testimonies, but in this case the judge has moved the issue to the front of the line and is hearing testimonies from 3 cases that are hard to refute. The notion is to remove cannabis from schedule 1. Of course the gov is looking to dismiss case. Here are the people represented:

Meet the Plaintiffs Suing the Federal Government

The plaintiffs in the case include three medical marijuana patients – two of whom are children. Alexis Bortell is a 12-year-old diagnosed with intractable epilepsy at the age of seven. For a period of 14 months she had multiple seizures each day and was hospitalized several times. Eventually, her doctors gave her parents two options – the choice between experimental brain surgery that would require doctors to remove a portion of the left side of her brain, or medical cannabis.

Her doctors recommended medical cannabis – since there is no going back after removing a portion of the brain – and her parents chose the more conservative alternative. Now, after using medical cannabis, Alexis has been seizure-free for three years.

Jagger Cotte was diagnosed with Leigh’s disease before he was two years old, and at that point his life expectancy was that he would not live past the age of four. His parents had all but given up; they had moved him into hospice, and when the pain became too much for him they gave him medical cannabis to help. After the introduction of medical cannabis, his condition improved – and now, at seven years old, he is a plaintiff in this case against the federal government.

Jose Belen was an Army combat veteran who suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) after the Iraq War. The doctors from Veterans Affairs could not legally recommend medical cannabis, so they prescribed pharmaceuticals instead – none of which worked. Finally, Belen turned to medical cannabis through doctors outside the VA, and it allowed him a better quality of life for himself, and his family as well in turn.

The two remaining plaintiffs are former NFL player for the New York Jets, Marvin Washington, who is the co-founder of a company called Isodiol Performance which produces hemp-based CBD sports performance products, and the nonprofit organization the Cannabis Cultural Association, which works to end the war on drugs and aims to promote people of color working in the cannabis industry.

I think these cases will be hard to argue against, and the inevitable truth will rear it's wonderful head eventually regarding this issue of benefit of cbd and cannabis scheduling.

Unfortunately, there is no set deadline for Judge Hellerstein to decide on whether to grant the government’s motion to dismiss the suit or not. However, he could have decided from the get-go to dismiss the case – but instead he chose to hear the arguments as to why the case should move forward or end here and now. He also suggested that the government not to even bother with the argument that cannabis holds no medicinal value and acknowledged how it benefits the plaintiffs – which means he clearly knows that medical marijuana helps millions each day.

"No medicinal value"...still? I heard people at the trial laughed when this was mentioned at hearing.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Kind of ironic, isn't it. The same government you fought for and was wounded for is depriving you of a useful drug that helps to aleviate your pain?

Even more so:

Not just a combat veteran, I do much volunteer work around the state with combat vets, drug addicts, homeless. I am a mathematical biology major, with a minor in psychology. I think I will take my business to another state if these orders are not rescinded. Texas doesn't want me here, unless I'm drugged, apparently. However, it was not until I got off their drugs that I could accomplish any of this. On their drugs, I just wanted to blow my brains out, which is the real goal of the VA and pharma. Killing veterans. That's why since 2016 I have had two bumper stickers on my car.

Hillary for Prison 2016

"The VA: Giving Veterans a Second Chance to Die for their Country since.."
edit on 17-2-2018 by wakeupstupid because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   
That's very strange because here in the UK, just this week, the sale of CBD oil has gone through the roof. It must be legal here because one of the main distributors, a big health food chain, was bragging about it in the national press.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
That's very strange because here in the UK, just this week, the sale of CBD oil has gone through the roof. It must be legal here because one of the main distributors, a big health food chain, was bragging about it in the national press.

The argument being made in some states that have their products seized and businesses locked up is that:

A) It already is legal, both state and federal.
B) Being classified as Schedule 1 means that you shouldn't be able to treat epilepsy with it, in fact it is the only known treatment for some forms.
C) No informed person thinks it should be illegal, which is why they made it legal in the first place.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: SonOfThor

Law enforcement in the middle Tennessee area recently went around and padlocked different stores that were selling CBD oil products - to which a lot of people on social media threatened lawsuits and posted claims that it is legal here following a Farm Act from a couple years ago, since it is derived from industrial hemp, and is FDA approved at under 0.03% THC. They all mention that it is legal in all 50 states.

Boggles the mind the lawsuits if these LEOs have a misunderstanding of the law will be overwhelming...

I know they hit Rutherford Co just a few days ago, no surprise there. I guess all the idiots flying up and down I-24 just arent that big a deal when some gummies on the store shelf might have something close to marijuana in them. Knowing those cops they probably rolled some armor out for a show of force.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Was doing some research on the possibility of buying CBD oil and having it shipped to me up here, but there are too many stories of the oil being confiscated at the border. As far as I can tell in Canada, it's restricted to prescription only and you go to an approved dispensary to get it where it's apparently pretty expensive at the moment.

Recreational legalization in Alberta can't come soon enough. Sounds like it might be September now, instead of July thanks to legislative wrangling.

The DEA doing this in Texas doesn't in any way surprise me. They'll stubbornly keep declaring it a dangerous substance while people across the state continue to imbibe in tobacco and alcohol to great detriment to health and well-being. Oil from hemp with no provable side effects - bad. Getting so sauced you do irreparable damage to your liver - A-ok.

Sessions is a putz and is probably deeply in the pocket of Big Pharma. Might be worth a sniff around to see if he received any 'gifts' from some well known companies like Johnson & Johnson or Pfizer, eh?
edit on 2/17/2018 by Subrosabelow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   
What the hell, cbd is a medicine , it's not psychoactive doesn't get you high, it helps people with pain, inflammation ,seizures and so on and so forth.

This is past the point of stupid this is criminal, the American government along with its law enforcement that are doing the dirty work are nothing more than lowlife criminals.

Land of the free to be exploited and abused, the leaders really don't like their citizens and want to see them suffer.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
en.wikipedia.org...So do countries where mj is legal have reduced rates of the illnesses you all say this drug helps?

If so that would be a strong selling point and if not then you had better keep it secret.

Are you just trolling? Or are you really this ignorant?

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

It's not a war against a plant. It is a war against other Americans who aren't like us.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

It's a war on health, can't let big pharma lose profits to a plant. This is nothing more than the controlling arm of government putting people in their places and making sure the " for profit " health system steams full speed ahead.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

It's a war on health, can't let big pharma lose profits to a plant. This is nothing more than the controlling arm of government putting people in their places and making sure the " for profit " health system steams full speed ahead.

A Multi-Billion dollar pharma industry vs. a disabled combat veteran. Sounds right. Let Trump have a parade, see what happens when all the veterans show up JUST to protest this nonsense.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I was arrested for possession last night of an 1/8th in Texas.

Fu** this state...

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

Excellent points re: Kratom™..

The Kratom is vilified because it competes w/the OPIATES. The Opiate addiction is part/parcel w/the proliferation of PRIVATE Jails/Prisons.. See: Afghanistan opium production in 2001 and what it is now...

You want to know something really trippy? I am convinced I broke My back/neck fighting 'The War On Drugs™' because it was/is 'unjust' Would You believe that? Remember I saw where the Urban male was systematically removed from society during the 'Crack War' Those using 'Crack' were sentenced to PRISON when the sub-Urbans were sentenced to PROBATION. The difference between the two? The Urbans 'rocked it up' and made 3x the $$$. The sub-Urbans used the hydrochloride or 'powder'.. There isn't more dope being used in the innercities, it is just those folks aren't going to hire an attorney to fight the charges, so all the arrests are deemed 'Felony' Successful' and this means more Federal $$$..

Why do You think the news wants to keep associating Cannabis to bath salts/synthetic marihuana...

From here out I'm going to be like the Federal Gov't. and make up a word that makes it look really sketchy, and because if a white lady smokes marijuana She'll end up w/either negroes or jazz musicians, I'm going to start using 'marihuana'...

Wait until We figure out that all the cars You see could be fit to run on hemp oil and then We wouldn't have to kiss oily a$$e$ from overseas; That, that would take Ayuhuasca added to the US water supply ASAP...

Stay Hydrated...

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

No longer would states rights be respected

The only "states rights" that Republicans ever care or squawk about is Guns & GAWD.

K~

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

There is a smoke shop that carries it in Edinburgh. I must admit I just went for a 'walkabout' and that includes the castle I stayed at...

If Y'all ever have a chance to stay at a castle it is one of those things that is 'interesting'. I'm not a big guy on travel now that I can't play Golf but if You get a chance to travel to Scotland it is a good time. The driving takes a bit to get used to and that 18" of 'personal space' is hit/miss especially while walking/waiting outside of shops. You can also drink Your breakfast and others don't scoff..

Bring Your own Melatonin™ because You have to know/blow someone to get that...

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

I've read your posts before and remember you were working dope before I could walk, so I always like hearing your take(s).

The 'war on drugs' is the biggest hoax ever. And as you mentioned, minorities were sentenced unjustly all the way up until several years ago, when, ironically enough, Jeff Sessions pushed a revamping of federal sentencing guidelines. The 'American Made' movie from the summer is a prime example of the hoax being perpetuated (although whatever 'creative license' was employed in dramatizing Barry Seal, the events and actions of his real story still prove the fact [not a narrative, it's a fact]) some 48 years later. The longest war in our nation's history...whether you make conservative estimates or tie 'indirect' deaths (the same rationale for reporting deaths from Kratom usage should apply to the deaths resulting from the theater of war of said drug, no?) in a generous estimate, I'd imagine the deaths tallied up in this war exceeds any during that period, conservatively, and exceeds all 20th/21st century death, generously. Whatever the number, it's entirely too high and for no good reason. Not a single proponent of the 'war on drugs' can -- in an intellectual manner -- can refute it, or provide a policy perspective rationale.

I think I may have mentioned it here, on ATS, before, but I'll rehash: why are Federal sentencing guidelines for marijuana (most other drugs, the exception was the coke versus crack sentencing you mentioned, have similar guidelines) so much harsher than State sentencing guidelines? Because most states schedule marijuana as a schedule III substance or lower, while the Feds have it as a Schedule I substance. But why? There was a question on an exam in my 'Economics of The Law' class in grad school on why certain crimes carry significantly different sentences (i.e. the mean sentences for murder or rape or B&E are virtually identical). I, apparently, answered incorrectly.

Professor suggested it was that way because certain states are willing to tolerate certain 'behaviors', hence, a big penalty for a certain activity that state wishes to 'drive out' (i.e. oral sex or sodomy in some states was, and maybe still is, illegal, but not federally). More costly to do certain crimes. We were provided with data illustrating each crime and mean sentencing at both levels.

The biggest disparity in crimes of similar nature were drug-related crimes/offenses, which circles back to my question about marijuana-related crimes/offenses carrying statistically significant higher sentences. Again, why? Because sentencing, all else equal, is very similar for all remaining drugs of consequence (public health costs). Still with me? I'm trying to be clear...apparently at the expense of being succinct.

I answered that taxation (states were collecting tax for medical sales at this point), or lack thereof, was the reasoning drug-related crimes had statistically significant higher mean sentences. Mathematically, I was able to convince him my answer was not only acceptable but correct. Not sure if Prof K still teaches, but I do know that he taught that class for several more years and taxation was a correct answer.

Sorry for the long post, but it's unequivocally provable that until the Feds get their taxes from drugs particularly, cannabis, the war will needlessly continue. The idea that it isn't all about the money is further illustrated with this Opioid/Opiate epidemic (its something I've paid close attention and too close of that reality has personally impacted with the loss of a very good dude that I still miss -- it began with a ACL repair and ended with a 'hot-shot'). We cry about kids being gunned down (rightfully so) and demand immediate action, but we continue to drag our feet with the worst drug epidemic in the history of mankind...because it all manifested from the want of more money.

Hope you got through that. And best wishes with being in chronic pain.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: wakeupstupid
The DEA has been going around seizing CBD oil from retailers across the Houston area, witnessed today from personal experience. I went online and found some articles about what is currently happening. I am outraged. As a United States citizen, and a U.S. Army infantry combat veteran who was medically retired for injuries I wouldn't dare let the VA make worse, CBD was my alternative medicine. This, along with intermittent fasting, and sheer willpower has gotten me out of a diagnosis of "you won't walk again." Cured diabetes. Fixed my liver. Treats PTSD and depression. And also, helped me shave 100 lbs of weak man fat. The list goes on. These people are insane, and I may be leaving the state of Texas. Perhaps, civil disobedience is in order.

The triggering incidents, Sheriff Mike Fitzhugh later told reporters, was a child bringing home a piece of candy that contained CBD, or cannabidiol—a nonintoxicating compound present in the cannabis plant—and the resulting call to authorities from the child’s incensed parents. But prior to December 7, 2016, neither Fitzhugh nor federal Drug Enforcement Administration agents would have been able to do anything about it.
www.leafly.com...
Of course, it's for the kids, right? Yet, cigarettes aren't schedule 1 and are way worse for a child to consume.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco heard oral arguments Thursday in the Hemp Industries Association’s petition challenging the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration’s January 2017 rule creating a Controlled Substances Code Number for “marihuana extracts.”

www.thecannabist.co...

Yet, also in 2017, this article said DEA wouldn't prosecute people? hightimes.com...

And yet, in Texas (THE SAME STATE AND CITY), a seizure patient can acquire this now SCHEDULE 1, (NO MEDICINAL VALUE?) SAME AS HEROIN, DRUG?

One of the two prescribing doctors in North Texas is M. Scott Perry, the director of neurology at Cook Children's Medical Center. He joined Cook in 2009 and is actively involved in studying how effective and how safe cannabidiol oil (CBD) is for treating patients suffering from various ailments. CBD oil is derived from marijuana plants that have been cross-bred to have extremely low levels of the plant's psychoactive ingredient, tetrahydrocannabinol, according to the law's requirements.

www.star-telegram.com...

Cbd oil doesn't get you high. But god does it ever feel nice when your back is sore. It kinda makes your body go all loose and rubbery. Then you sleep like a baby. Great for after a 6 day work week.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
Cbd oil doesn't get you high. But god does it ever feel nice when your back is sore. It kinda makes your body go all loose and rubbery. Then you sleep like a baby. Great for after a 6 day work week.

Or if you have had neck, shoulder (x2), back, knee, nose, jaw and achilles surgery with 5 documented TBI's and PTSD. It's definitely better than what they try to push on us.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join