It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico Earthquake.

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
abcnews.go.com...

This is just coming out. Hoping the best for our neighbors to the south. Going to see if I can dig up more info as it becomes available.
See preliminary magnitude 7.5.
edit on 16-2-2018 by Tarzan the apeman. because: Because they let me.

It was 43 kilometers or 26 miles deep.
www.cnbc.com...
edit on 16-2-2018 by Tarzan the apeman. because: Because they let me.

edit on 16-2-2018 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

damn, thats not good, so many cider block buildings etc...prayers to the poor folks there

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Closer to Acapulco than Mexico City, but still a biggie either way. Hopefully damage/loss of life isn't too bad, but with one that strong, it probably isn't pretty down there right now.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   
There's a bit of activity on the spectro feed.

Live stream on YT (make sure red live button is on)

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I see some of the stats have changed. Its down to 7.2 and 24 kilometers deep.
www.bbc.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   

I was looking at usgs last night and the amount of 4.0 to 6.0s around the whole globe was concerning. I was afraid this was going to happen to Mexico too considering the recent ones.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: auroraaus

Thanks for this link.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

I think it looks like Mexico city is ok. Just a lot of shacking.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   

You're welcome

Just seen another large quake

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I didn't know that earthquakes could be predicted to a certain degree. In some cities there were l earthquake warning going off before the actual quake .. interesting

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThePeaceMaker
I didn't know that earthquakes could be predicted to a certain degree. In some cities there were l earthquake warning going off before the actual quake .. interesting

They have sensors close to the fault lines. The speed of P and S shock waves going through the ground is around 800 miles/hour. That's 12 miles/minute, so like a tsunami, they have a few minutes to move somewhere safe before the shockwaves hit.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: CreationBro

I was looking at usgs last night and the amount of 4.0 to 6.0s around the whole globe was concerning. I was afraid this was going to happen to Mexico too considering the recent ones.

That's a good sign. When the tectonic plates are sliding over each other, there are lots of small earthquakes. It's when there are no earthquakes, it's when the tectonic plates are snagging and building up energy.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 02:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

originally posted by: ThePeaceMaker

They have sensors close to the fault lines. The speed of P and S shock waves going through the ground is around 800 miles/hour. That's 12 miles/minute, so like a tsunami, they have a few minutes to move somewhere safe before the shockwaves hit.

Thanks for that I was completely unaware that this could be done

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Didn't feel a thing.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Thanks for this info. I'm not that educated when it comes to earthquakes. But the people in this place help a lot in understanding.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Found this update. It looks like one million homes and businesses without power and two deaths due to a helicopter crash.
www.reuters.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   

The death toll from the helicopter crash is at 14 now. Many people were sleeping outside at the time, and they attempted to land in a field. The helicopter hit the ground, and rolled onto several vehicles that were parked around where people were sleeping. There are conflicting reports, but it appears that nine women, four men, and two children, one of them a six month old baby were killed. The Interior Minister and Governor of the area were on board, but no one on the helicopter was reported among the dead.

www.bbc.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I knew the Interior Minister and Governor were on board. I had no idea that people on the ground were killed. That is sad.
edit on 17-2-2018 by Tarzan the apeman. because: Had to be done.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

The science behind earthquake prediction is still not well understood but this guy seems to be leading the charge on it. I follow a few of this YT series on space weather and there appears to be a connection there too. From what I've seen his warning areas are usually pretty spot on and he has the statistics to prove it.

Earthquake Prediction Center

Best wishes to everybody affected.

-Driver

new topics

top topics

join