It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nellis runways closed 2/15/2018

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Runway closures at Nellis AFB cause aircraft to land at McCarran

NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE, Nevada – Multiple U.S. military jets diverted to McCarran International Airport at approximately 4 p.m. today due to the closure of both Nellis Air Force Base runways.

The Nellis runways were closed due to two separate minor mechanical aircraft malfunctions.

A runway closure like this is not unusual; however, our typical alternate landing location at Creech Air Force Base is currently under construction and unable to accommodate aircraft larger than Remotely Piloted Aircraft. As such, military aircraft returning from participation in the Red Flag exercise were diverted to McCarran.

Both Nellis runways have reopened and military aircraft that diverted to McCarran should be returning to Nellis later today.

Contact the 99th Air Base Wing Public Affairs office at 702-652-2750 for questions.

Not a very informative press release. I mean an aircraft malfunction doesn't have to shut down a runway. Could be debris or damage.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Stuck brakes or landing gear malfunction?Planes are heavy to move when they dont fly or taxi.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 01:33 AM
link   
probably worried about foreign object damage and wanted to scour the runway and make sure it was clean before reopening.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Someone may have taken the barrier, and the other could have been a blown tire. That will suck for the ground crews, but at least it wasn't a crash. RedFlags can be crazy with pilots from all over the world.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 03:00 AM
link   
that explains alot lol i work close to there odd to see anything other than typical passenger jets and cargo

also live next to it ... cant see anything from my house tho

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Utility hydraulic or antiskid failure on a Seymore-Johnson F-15E. They took the barrier. At the same time a Shaw F-16 was met by the trucks. No word on his issue.

ETA: The Shaw Viper may have had a brake issue.
edit on 2/16/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Double IFE then....bit unusual, but it is Red Flag. I sure miss working my E-models sometimes.

new topics

top topics

join