It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For any parents of school age kids - You owe it to them to help protect them.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   
When my kid was going to go back to school, this was one of the first things I looked into...

Armored backpacks.

This one here, level 3, and only $125 on Amazon:

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1518727679&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=bulletpro of+backpack&psc=1

Now, you can spend more too, but this just seems like a damn good investment these days.

Yeah, yeah, I know it's sad we even have to consider it, but if this saves just ONE kid, I'll be a happy camper.

Please, please, if you have kids...get them an armored backpack. And tell them to run like hell if there's a shooter....

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
pretty sad state of affairs when the gun lobbies have grown so strong that you have to consider sending your kids to schools with armoured backpacks.

Pretty sure this kind of thing does not really exist as a issue in the rest of the developed world.

but hey!

You gotta love that second amendment, killing kids since 1999 (well ok a little longer than that...)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

How about Elmo body armor...

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Hey, thanks for that. Ive done some digging, but appreciate your insight.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Nah, would get too hot here in FL....

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

pretty sad state of affairs when the gun lobbies have grown so strong that you have to consider sending your kids to schools with armoured backpacks.

Oddly, the second amendment has been around quite a while, school shootings? Not so much...so maybe there's another cause? Like, oh, I don't know...medicating the hell out of troubled kids and turning them into whackos? Just a thought...

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
When I was in middle school, we started having regular shooter & bomb drills (thanks, Columbine asshats) on top of the fire drills. 'Twas about then I decided herding kids into schools, with weapons protection or not, was like shooting fish in a barrel & was pretty sure if I had kids, they'd be homeschooled. I'd bet back then it would never get better, but substantially worse in schools (boy, was I right on more than one level there)

Can't protect my kids from everything, they're still going to mingle with the other kids in the neighborhood, at the parks, at museums, etc and there's always room for an asshat going loony tunes anywhere. But at least I remove one fish barrel instance of a deranged snot with a lot of ammo from wreaking havoc. No armored back pack needed.
edit on 2/15/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Wait! Don't shoot!
I gotta go to my locker and get my backpack its bulletproof.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   
My kid cant fit into that backpack, its simply too small.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok

Oddly, the second amendment has been around quite a while, school shootings? Not so much...so maybe there's another cause? Like, oh, I don't know...medicating the hell out of troubled kids and turning them into whackos? Just a thought...

or it could be you know, the 74% increase in gun ownership.....

www.theguardian.com...

Kids in the UK are all on stuff for ADHD aswell and don't run into a class and stab all the other kids in the room.

This is a uniquely American problem, just like mass gun ownership is pretty much uniquely American.
edit on 15-2-2018 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok

Might be more simple than that -- maybe it's time to examine the generational ethics & morals of the ones who raised them? Us Millennials had to put up with this stuff ramping up at breakneck speed in the 90's/2000's, so it stands to reason there was a major disconnect somewhere with the way the Boomers raised them. If the teenager kids of the Millenials are being taught what the Millenials were taught by the Boomers, then, well...It'd be nice to find the exact catalyst for this kind of mentality & when it solidified.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Wasn't Vegas shot up by a boomer?

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Nyiah

Wasn't Vegas shot up by a boomer?

Indeed it was. IMO, there's a mentality relic here of a past era manifesting via "just kill them all". You could say it's become culturally entrenched. I think it's time to quit blaming medications for a while and try examining a different explanation route -- I bet there's a lot more answers tied to the past than the present.

Edit: This is not to say let's just blame the entire Boomer generation for everything that's sick in society, but it's definitely worth being combed over for clues.
edit on 2/15/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

So they say....but then, what they say, keeps not adding up to what witnesses, timelines, etc. do, for Vegas, so maybe not the best example, hehe....

This post really isn't about finding the cause of it, etc. though... I just wanted people to know that there is a fairly inexpensive safeguard that they can get for their kids to give them a little bit of an edge in such a circumstance, so maybe they come out of it alive if ever in this situation.

We all think it can't happen here...but so did the parents who lost a child yesterday.

Personally, it's worth it to me. I've already talked to my friends who have kids in school about it. Sure, they felt weird about armoring the kids, but also, realized that it would just always be there as a "what if", and totally hidden, really unnoticed.
edit on 15-2-2018 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

if i feel the need to send her to school with a bullet proof backpack then she is out of public school. i reserve that right at anytime.

i agree with OSOTC

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Yikes!

I remember the good ole days, when I was in grade/high school and people would prank call in bomb threats -- some of the best times to have 'pencil wars' (you know when you take turns attempting to break in half the other kids pencil with your's) -- and they had us evacuate the buildings and hang outside. Sh$t has gotten real in the past 25 years. Sucks.

I'm not a parent. I can only sympathize with having to actually consider this as a precaution/safeguard, but it's mind-boggling how quickly this (school shootings -- Columbine occurred during my freshman spring semester of college just for perspective) has become an everyday concern for the whole of the country.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Of course, but it's not a NEED...more just prevention. And home schooling is generally way better anyhow, but sadly, not a luxury all can afford to do.

Why insure your house? your car? it's all based on "what if".....

This is a uniquely American problem, just like mass gun ownership is pretty much uniquely American.

Much deeper discussion there....especially if you factor in the whole false flag angle...

But again, this post is more about trying to save a life or two, with a simple purchase, like any other insurance.
it's advice only, just to let folks know it exists, that I found when trying to resolve the issue after a previous shooting.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   

To be fair it is good advice given the current state of affairs and your right the issue of gun control is a separate issue I didn't mean to detract from the good advice you are giving.

If my kid was going to school in America I would insist they go out with one of these one.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Heck, these days, I might even get one for myself, just being out ANYWHERE...but yeah, I especially wanted to mention it in light of yesterday's incident, and previous ones like it, as there seems to be a real uptick this year, and I doubt that trend will stop.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Note, for backpacks that have laptop inserts, you could just get an armor insert too...

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_13?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1518731381&sr=1-13&ke ywords=bulletproof+backpack

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join