It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bands and Musicians check out this epic Craigslist Rant!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Found this gem on Craigslist Musicians section... It's honestly pretty dead on...

-----------

I'm an amateur with no real experience looking for REAL professionals!

I'm envisioning some kind of genre with "core" at the end of it. It's really important that you be incoherently screaming through the entire song. It would help too if you were slightly overweight because everyone likes a band of round-faced boys trying to sound like men with too much gain on their amps.

Those with lots of tats, eyeliner, and clothes that haven't been washed in months will be pushed to the front of the line. We're gonna get tight on a set of 8 really mediocre tunes that are pushing 10 years old... and then go on tour.

I've been doing this for my whole life... and I know the bs when I see it. My heart and soul is devoted to this. I'm available to practice on Wednesday only. During the day I'm an accountant... I also have two kids. And no disposable income to speak of.

Please make sure to reply without single shred of evidence that you are even a real person let alone a musician who knows how to play.

I'll be sure to not post any links of my own material in this post... because I want to bait you into a useless, back and forth conversation that will lead to nothing. Because we all know the path to a great successful band starts with beating around the bush and wasting time through email.

Absolutely no egos, drama, drugs, and most importantly, no fun at all.

Remember... you need to have pro gear and chops, and be tour ready for this summer.

-----

Any musicians out there that can relate to this?

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   
This guy definitively hasn't signed to a record label yet lol. Seems bitter.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   
It's gender specific....we can't have that!

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Lol!

Man I have had some bad luck with Craigslist musicians.... exactly zero have actually worked out.

This ad actually really sums up a "blues guitar" player I tried to reach out to on Craigslist... after days of texting I learned he was 18 and lived at moms house haha

Sorry. But as a 32 year old that's a deal breaker!

Only worthwhile musician I have met through a Criagslist lives 1.5 hours away... wah wah waaaaah

We need a Tinder for musicians.

a reply to: MarkOfTheV

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarkOfTheV
Found this gem on Craigslist Musicians section... It's honestly pretty dead on...

-----------

I'm an amateur with no real experience looking for REAL professionals!

I'm envisioning some kind of genre with "core" at the end of it. It's really important that you be incoherently screaming through the entire song. It would help too if you were slightly overweight because everyone likes a band of round-faced boys trying to sound like men with too much gain on their amps.

Those with lots of tats, eyeliner, and clothes that haven't been washed in months will be pushed to the front of the line. We're gonna get tight on a set of 8 really mediocre tunes that are pushing 10 years old... and then go on tour.

I've been doing this for my whole life... and I know the bs when I see it. My heart and soul is devoted to this. I'm available to practice on Wednesday only. During the day I'm an accountant... I also have two kids. And no disposable income to speak of.

Please make sure to reply without single shred of evidence that you are even a real person let alone a musician who knows how to play.

I'll be sure to not post any links of my own material in this post... because I want to bait you into a useless, back and forth conversation that will lead to nothing. Because we all know the path to a great successful band starts with beating around the bush and wasting time through email.

Absolutely no egos, drama, drugs, and most importantly, no fun at all.

Remember... you need to have pro gear and chops, and be tour ready for this summer.

-----

Any musicians out there that can relate to this?

I dunno my experience looking for other musicians on Craigslist has been fairly positive. I've found a few different groups of people to jam with playing a bunch of different kinds of music. There was one group of reggae musicians i used to play with once a week for a few months I met through Craigslist. I just ignored all the ones like the rant mentioned....there were a bunch of ads like that...

I second the tinder for musicians idea though in the post above.

edit on 15/2/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Sounds about right to me. Although I've gotten a paying gig or two through CL, for the most part I think it has to be said that it is one of the worst ways to network among musicians. That is my assessment after many failed attempts.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: SteamyJeans

Preach! The moms house musicians are plentiful. A tinder style would be interesting, but I'm not sure the results would be much different. A lot of these people are crazy delusional.

a reply to: dug88

I think in certain genres this behavior is far more prevalent, but finding a few guys to play with once a week for a couple of months isn't exactly what I would call a successful venture.

a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

I too have had some paying gigs from there, and found a band or two... once you've been at it for a while you see these patterns over and over again. Not sure why CL is such a cesspool (not just for musicians either)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Name of the band will be called "The Soy Boy's" ...

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarkOfTheV
a reply to: SteamyJeans

Preach! The moms house musicians are plentiful. A tinder style would be interesting, but I'm not sure the results would be much different. A lot of these people are crazy delusional.

a reply to: dug88

I think in certain genres this behavior is far more prevalent, but finding a few guys to play with once a week for a couple of months isn't exactly what I would call a successful venture.

a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

I too have had some paying gigs from there, and found a band or two... once you've been at it for a while you see these patterns over and over again. Not sure why CL is such a cesspool (not just for musicians either)

That depends on your idea of success. They weren't the only people I played with from there, I was never looking to start a band or anything and compared to the amount of people I've met through some other means and played music, which is usually just once in a while with friends or something. I'd call it pretty successful or at least it was useful for what I used it for which was to find other people to play music with casually every once on a while.

new topics

top topics

join